Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murakami

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle' is a great read. Typical Murakami - dealing with dark, shocking ideas with simple, beautiful language.

The detailed description of a man being skinned alive will stay in my mind forever. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

He is a great writer from what i've read (just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles yesterday). I'm lookin forward to reading more. Norweigan Wood is next on my list.

He's got a really hypnotic, easy going type of writing style. Once you get into the rythem, its hard to stop. It's also refreshing reading a writer from the East because of their different attitude to life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the elephant vanishes is a collection of short stories (including the wind-up bird and tuesdays women - the short story the wind-up bird chronicles were based on) well worth the read

Also hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world is excellent too. asian unicorns are dotey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kittex wrote:
    'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle' is a great read. Typical Murakami - dealing with dark, shocking ideas with simple, beautiful language.
    After reading a few reviews I bought this at lunchtime - so there'll be trouble if it's not up to scratch! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

I really enjoyed the short story you posted, quite thought provoking stuff. Are the rest of his works all short storys or has he ever written a novel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Haven't read any of his short stories yet. I've only read Dance Dance Dance and a wild sheep chace (both were very enjoyable despite the slightly disappointing ending) reading the wind up bird chronicle now, about half way through now and really enjoying it, even more so than the other two.
    His writing style is great alright, really original (despite some apparant influences he still manages to write like nobody else) Love the way he mixes really mundane situations with some really far out scenarios and ideas. Things just drop out of the sky in his stories sometimes and make for great reading.

Think i might get some short stories next. I can see myself owning most of his work :D

About a quarter through Wind up Bird Chronicle, now.
    Slow to get started but has got me interested in where it's going.

As long as it gets somewhere!

Well it eh kinda does... albeit slowly... and with the odd large tangent here or there :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

he has many novels, snapjigglyfluff

oh the wind up bird chronicles are the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

Tree wrote:
    My favourite short story is one of his: on meeting the 100% perfect girl one beautiful april morning

In 'The Acid House' by Irvine Welsh theres a short story about a man and a woman going to their respective hotel rooms that bares a striking similarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

In 'The Acid House' by Irvine Welsh theres a short story about a man and a woman going to their respective hotel rooms that bares a striking similarity.

I love his work *wanders over to shelf* it has been almost two years... but I really enjoyed 'After The Quake'. 'Hard-Boiled Wonderland' is quite enjoyable too... though a little too slow for my liking; thus, I prefer his short stories.

Anyway, his books are definitely worth a read - and entirely different from most things I've read. Having said that though, I am reading a wee bit of literature by Asian/Middle-East writers recently... their stuff, I find, is just far more interesting than the majority of Western writers (I don't mean to sound snobbish - but they just have a way with words, with stories and with culture that appeals to me...).

Well it eh kinda does... albeit slowly... and with the odd large tangent here or there :p
    Tangents - you said it!

i think tangent is an inadequate word for it

Well mostly they're tangents which come together in the end to form part of a greater story. Tho sometimes i feel he simply goes on a tangent every now and again thats inconclusive and isnt really part of the story but is incredibly interesting none the less.
    Was pretty happy with the ending of Wind up Bird Chronicle though, much more so than dance dance dance and wild sheep chase.
    Just purchased 2 more of his novels (Norwegian Wood, and Hard boiled wonderland) looking forward to em, i miss having a good novel to be engrossed in during work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Dustbowl

I am huge fan of his work. A wild Sheep Chase & Dance Dance Dance are brillant though I feel Norwegian Wood is his best book (the characters in it remind me of myself and my friends in MINOR ways). I also loved the TV people short story from The Elephant Vanishes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I've read Wind Up Bird Chronicle, Norwegian Wood, South of the Border, West of the Sun and After the Quake so far. My favourite would have to be Wind Up Bird, its so surreal, and in a weird way I could identify with the book, it was almost like it was telling me something, but I'm still not sure what! :)
    South of the Border and Norwegian Wood were very different books but you still got a great sense of Japanese culture etc reading them.
    I wasn't mad about After the Quake, but I think that's because I'm not really be a fan of short stories. I liked Murakami's writing enough though, that I'd give one of the other short story books a go..
    Anyone read his latest, Kafka on the Shore?

not yet. i got a wild sheep chase yesterday but im saving it til after my exams.

ive lost my "the elephant vanishes" :( if anyone sees it lying aroudn....

(never lend your friends books they'll love)

Good luck with the exams. That's how I normally feel about Murakami books - I try to save them for say, a holiday or time off work, when I will really appreciate them, instead of just racing through them all like I normally would.
    Hence having only read 4 of his books so far!

Finally finished The Wind up Bird Chronicle last week.
    (Thanks for the recommendations)

I enjoyed it though I thought it lost it's way in the middle. Some of the tangents are the best parts. Will probably read more, but need something less surreal for the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

Thought Wind up Bird Chronicle was superb, was a little disappointed with Kafka on the shore, couldn't match the scope or style of wind up bird. I thought South of the Border, West of the sun was a great little book too. I have read all of his stuff now, and my favourite would prob be Hard Boiled Wonderland and the end of the world. Its a little bit different (i.e. even more surreal) than the rest of his stuff, but great stuff, couldn't put it down once i started!

• Advertisement

Finally finished The Wind up Bird Chronicle last week.
    (Thanks for the recommendations)

I enjoyed it though I thought it lost it's way in the middle. Some of the tangents are the best parts. Will probably read more, but need something less surreal for the moment. :)

Norweigen Wood retains his style but loses the surreality, you might enjoy that a bit more if you're not too fond of all the madness. (though i really enjoy that aspect of his writing)
    couldn't put it down once i started

Yeah most of his novels have had that affect on me, keep reading em in a day or so, thats why I enjoyed the Wind Up Bird Chronicle, took me a whole 4days!!!!
    Next up, a short break from his material then Hard Boiled Wonderland.

Hmmm, i've never gone thro an author's works since reading Austere's Book of Illusions and steam rolling my way forward. Gonna feel all empty when i'm finished :(

Gonna feel all empty when i'm finished :(

Thats exactly how I feel about Murakami, I almost hate getting one of his books as I know I'll be sorry when it finishes.

I was so sorry coming to the end of Wind up Bird that I almost wished I had never read it at all, then I'd still have it to look forward to :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I read Kafke... and i loved it, can't wait to read more of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I read Hard Boiled Wonderland a little while ago and, while I found the premise interesting, I found the actual style of writing to be a little too tedious for my tastes. I only stuck with it to see where the story was going, but really struggled towards the end. Certainly didn't inspire me to go out and check out any more of his stuff.

started (and finished) a wild sheep chase yesterday. excellent :D that man has some weird ideas in his head

Advertisement