Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Villarreal

• 18-04-2006 10:22pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas has recovered from a bruised foot in time for Wednesday's Champions League semi-final at Highbury.
    Jose Antonio Reyes is suspended, while Freddie Ljungberg is expected to return to the squad after missing Saturday's Premiership win over West Brom.

Villarreal's first-choice centre-backs Gonzalo Rodriguez and Juan Manuel Pena are both ruled out.

Mariano Barbosa replaces suspended goalkeeper Sebastian Viera.

The Gunners are unlikely to rush England defender Sol Campbell back into action after he had surgery on his broken nose last week.
    I'll be very surprised if Wenger moves away from 4-5-1 for this one. I think it is important to suffocate Villarreal's midfield, Gilberto has an important role in shackling Riquelme and protecting the back-four from deep runners from midfield.

I think Henry in particular can get in behind Villarreal's back four as their full-backs like to push up. With 2 backup CBs in place in front of their 2nd choice keeper (who looked dodgy on Friday), I think there are goals to be had. I've avoided predicting Arsenal's results thus far and will continue to do so.

Getting nervous already, if Deadly Diego scores I could cry :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Its a pity that Reyes is suspended. His pace really made a difference in the quarter final first leg against Juventus, but at least he'll be back for the second leg. I have a hunch that Pires will start after making the difference against West Brom at the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dennis Bergkamp at some stage too, but his lack of fitness and Adebayor's absence will probably lend itself to a 4-5-1 formation to start with.

Its gonna be a big week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If they can keep Riquelme and Forlan quiet they should be fine.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Come on the Yellow Submarine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I hope Arsenal win cause Barca have also tonight. Arse Vs Barca final wud be great.

This is my 3000th post , 4 years and 3000 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just like if Villareal can keep Henry and Fabregas quiet they should be fine.

This is a much tougher game than some people are making out, and I think it'll be very tight.
    Two young hungry teams going up against each other, but Villarreal's injuries to key players might just cost them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its going to be tough but arsenal have to start well and keep the momentum going. They have to get something tonight Id settle for a 1-0. They cant let them score at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hopefully Arsenal can put more than 1 in the net.. Wil set them up perfectly for the second leg..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

hopefully the gunners can do it,english team and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:
    Just like if Villareal can keep Henry and Fabregas quiet they should be fine.

Arsenal have slightly more depth than that in fairness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm heading over to the match so hopefully we can get a good result at Highbury. I'd be delighted with a one nil lead going into the second leg.

I just hope with all the talk about Riquelme that Senna isn't left to his own devices. He's a world class player in the making and one to be very careful of.

Come on you Gunners!

• Advertisement

Arsenal have slightly more depth than that in fairness..

Indeed, so do Villarreal. They are a very good team and I would not be suprised to see them get a scoring draw tonight and take it back to Spain with the advantage.
    Also Arsenal aren't playing well since the United loss.
    It's gona be a tough tough game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'll be taping the match and hopefully posting the goals, so if anyone wants any of the other incidents just gimme a shout and I'll do my best to get them up.

C'mon the Arsenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

For a change I will be supporting Arsenal. I hope they win and get a Arsenal v Barca final. WOuld be a great game with two great attacking sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Senna isn't left to his own devices

Thought I heard this morning that Senna is out. Hopefully he is.

I can't wait for tonight. Biggest European game we've ever had. Should be some game. If we play as well as we did against Juve in the first leg, I'd be confident of a win. But thats a big IF, as Villareal look a sterner challenge.

C'mon The Arsenal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Last european game in highbury too, sniff sniff. It's going to be a tough one, reyes will be missed, as well as attacking reyes gets stuck in and provides some cover for the flamster. Hope pires will do this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Villarreal are a tougher proposition than alot of people think. Hopefully Arsenal will shade it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lemlin wrote:
    Villarreal are a tougher proposition than alot of people think. Hopefully Arsenal will shade it though.
    Well if anybody is underestimating a team that's in the semi's they are just being silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Just over 3hours to go, and I'm a nervous wreck here. The countdown continues....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Villareal are a top side and will cause Arsenal quite a few problems. Arsenal like it better when a team comes at them a bit but Villareal dont play like that. they like to sit back a bit which I think is the way to play Arsenal at Highbury. The crowd can get frustrated at times which is what Villareal will try to do.

Saying that though I think Arsenal will score. Villareal are missing 2 defenders and their goalkeeper and against an atttack like Arsenals, that spells trouble. Arsenal just have to keep their concentration at the back and I think they will go to Spain with a 1-0 advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yup, Villareal are missing their first-choice centre-backs. Henry will doubtlessly take advantage of that.

This one is gonna be tight - perhaps a 2-1 win to Arsenal with Riquelme scoring a freekick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

But one must remember that often Henry doesnt bring his A game to the most important matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Going to be a decent game for the Neutrals hopefully.
    I'd like to see Arsenal go through but I think over too legs Villareal will be too strong.....
    If they manage to get an away goal against Arsenal I fancy them winning easily at home.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This is as good as chance for Arsenal getting to the final as anyone would hope for. Having said that, no team is easy at this stage of the competition, an in a football game anything can happen. Villareal will probably be hoping to keep it 0-0 and go for goals on the break. Arsenal will want to up the tempo in the game considerably, as only Arsenal can (Wenger is the Sean Boylan of the English league) so I think we should all expect a blistering game. There has to be at least one goal in this game, and perhaps several.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Wonder will Wenger go 2 up and go for it or play 4-5-1.
    going for a scoring draw - with Villareal to score first.

Have a good feeling about Villareal - got them at 10-1 earlier the week to win the competion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

redspider wrote:
    Wenger is the Sean Boylan of the English league

Sean Boylan!! ha ha. He couldnt motivate a serial killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Garret wrote:
    But one must remember that often Henry doesnt bring his A game to the most important matches

If he scores a goal like the one he scored at the Bernabeu then I don't think any Arsenal fans will give a hoot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

No disrespect to Arsenal, but I think they will bottle it tonight. Im leaving myself open to a right roasting here, but I feel they have peaked a bit too soon. Villareal will try n frustrate them tonight and not sure Arsenal will enjoy it.

never off side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Play stopped, squirrell on the pitch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Eh....Book some of the divers please!

goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

should be 2-0

1 will do

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Get in!

1-0 Toure

that looked a penno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Think the ref is trying to be too clever, obvious free kick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You dive and you dive and you dive and then get fouled and ref laughs at you, football justice? Jose Maria dives then gets fouled and ref laughs at him. That was a peno :D

Excellent 1st half both sides doing very well to stop each other. Can see Villareal scoring too.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

It was definitely a foul but I thought the original contact was made outside the boz to be honest.

It was a foul, and a defo yellow, but it was outside the box.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Phew, good game, very tight.

Toure is having a mare and looks tired again, he doesn't have his usual burst of pace or spring in his jump. Scored his first goal at Highbury though, good man!

Villarreal's game plan seems to be to slow the game down as much as possible and fall over any time they get over the half way line. It's not done too badly thus far mind you.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I would have to say I felt it should also have been a penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Villareal have played Arsenal off the park for most of the half. Disallowed goal should have stodd and you will never see a better stone wall penalty than that one that the ref bizareely did not see :confused:

Villareal have played Arsenal off the park for most of the half. Disallowed goal should have stodd and you will never see a better stone wall penalty than that one that the ref bizareely did not see :confused:
    played off the park,not,very even game imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Arsenal on top, but not by much. Everything is going their way - the ref, the bounce of the ball, everything. Reminds me of (shudder) 1999.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

PHB wrote:
    It was a foul, and a defo yellow, but it was outside the box.

I think a trip to spec savers is needed here PHB

just seen the replay again and it was a peno,arsenal got away with that big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

just watched it over and over in slow motion, outside the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol 8 different people 8 different views :D Jose was in the box so the foul must have been too :)

Wouldnt say Villa have outplayed Arse more stopped them and built on it, and doing a very good job at it too. Shame maria is trying to win the game by getting Riquelme free kicks.

kdjac

I think a trip to spec savers is needed here PHB

I'm very sensitive amount having to wear glasses.

Nah seriously, you need to get glasses, and if you have them, get new ones four eyes.

:P

But seriously if you look at the replay, which you should have by now, you will see that the kick to the inside of his left thigh is without a doubt outside the box. The rest of the foul is inside the box.

But seriously if you look at the replay, which you should have by now, you will see that the kick to the inside of his left thigh is without a doubt outside the box. The rest of the foul is inside the box.[/QUOTE]
    ???

should be 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement