Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Villarreal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The linesman at the left end is just absolutely woeful. So many bad decesions made today by him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Pansies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tis a decent enough result for both teams.
    I'd say Villarreal will be the hapier of the teams, although the lack of an away goal mightbe tough considering they havn't gone through a knockout round except by away goals.
    Quite a poor game from both teams tbh, both sides cancelling each other out.

The game in Spain will obviously decide it, this tie is far from over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pretty poor stuff from both teams, Arsenal don't like it up 'em and Villarreal were workmanlike at best.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Well done Arsenal, although Villareal will be somewhat pleased too.

On tonights showing Arsenal should have no fear of going to Spain. They could definitely score there, and that will be game over I think. They looked tired toward the end of this game, the hard season is taking its toll.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They looked tired toward the end of this game, the hard season is taking its toll.
    Indeed, I'm worried about the Spurs game next weekend. Several players look knackered, and there's no let up in the games. At least Reyes can come back in having missed a game, but can Wenger rotate the likes of Toure and Fabregas?

1-0 is a good result, not classic stuff but I'll take it. If Villarreal don't level the tie within the first 50-60 mins of the second leg they'll start to worry and will have to pile forward... an away goal would be golden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

think the gunners are in a good postion and can see them finishing of the job in spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I thought the game tonight was very disappointing. Villarreal were very bad going forward and as for Juan Riquelme he was very bad i thought. I know people having be raving about how good he is, but i always thought they were just jumping on the ban waggin and tonight proved it for me. I know Manutd have being linked with him but i think he would end up like another veron, but personally i dont think he would be able to adapt to the premiership and on tonights performance proved it for me. I saw him against england and he was pretty good, but the only thing he was intersted in tonight was free kicks around the box and complaining and he made no attempt to tackle the arsenal midfield who were walking pass him alnight. The commentators were saying Villarreal would be happy with the result which i laughed at. I can see arsenal scoring 2 or 3 in the second leg, but weather they can actually win will really depend on how henry plays on the night.

I think he is another who is slightly over-rated. There are times when all he does is moan at other players for not passing. A prime example was when they played West Brom. They had a very young team out and you would think being the captain he would lead by example, but all he did was moan until he scored the goal and his attitude changed after that. I think arsenal could do worse then to sell him and get a couple of other forwards in like Torres and Kuyt.

Thats my Rant Over.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Bit of a disappointing game after last night, neither side looked like they were worthy of being in the champions league final or anything near it but next match should be interesting anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And another thing, while both linesmen were woeful, constantly getting calls wrong I have to say kudos to the ref. Insisting all players get up instead of writhing around in "agony". He was even hassling lads that looked like they might be injured. It was great to see though, that sort of stuff gets completely out of hand sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

agreed, the ref was good when it came to people pretending they were shot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I said before id settle for 1-0 so I will ;)

Villareal are a tough side to break down, but they have to score now on tuesdat night, Well they have to score 2 to go through.

If Arsenal get an early one then the tie is as good as over. And on tonights preformance it will be them not villareal looking better up front.

Jesus, 90 minutes away from a CL final...who could have thought that a few months back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jose Mari is a f*cking fag. How many times can one player go to ground? Say what you want about the penalty, Arsenal had 2 clearly good goals disallowed. 1-0 is ok, but it could and should have been better. I really don't agree with most of the opinions here, Villarreal did nothing and were there for the taking. Ok they were well organised at the back and it showed in the end with them only conceding one goal but I think a 2-0 result was definitely on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It was a good game, and Arsenal did try, but they just managed the one goal which leaves the tie in their favour but close. Villareal will not be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of pushing for a goal in the 2nd leg and trying to defend against Henry on the break. But it is possible.

The Villareal defence did reasonable last night, a few mistakes, but overall, they bottled up Henry's threat on most occasions. Arsenal would have been satisfied with a 2-0, but it didnt come, and the goal they did get was a bit of a scramble.

Villareal came more into it in the 2nd half and created a few chances. Overall, it was a fair enough result. But as the CL is a two-legged aggregate goal affair, the goal tally is crucial.

Advantage Arsenal, Villareal to serve.

Sean Boylan!! ha ha. He couldnt motivate a serial killer.

The link is in the "elixir's" that both Boylan makes and that Wenger gives his players. All players seem to get an extra yard of pace when they play for Arsenal and Wenger is a devout supplement fan, many of which are just about the legality edge. Boylan has been making a magic potion for years, but by judging what happens on the pitch, I'd rather subject myself to Wenger's regime of supplements.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Royale banned for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jank wrote:
    Jesus, 90 minutes away from a CL final...who could have thought that a few months back!
    Definitely not Patrick Viera.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

1-0 to the Arsenal. Could have and should have been more, the offsides looked like clear goals, however their's was a stone wall penalty. So 1-0 probably a fair scoreline.

I'm a bit worried for the Spurs match at the weekend. The Arsenal players are looking knackered, and they won't have a chance to rest between now and when the Premierhsip finishes up. I'd expect Campbell, Diaby, Adebayor to all start, and Toure, Fabregas,and Hleb to be rested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kingp35 wrote:
    Arsenal just have to keep their concentration at the back and I think they will go to Spain with a 1-0 advantage.

Should have put a bet on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

BaZmO* wrote:
    Definitely not Patrick Viera.......

another parallel with liverpool, potentially
    michael owen leaves liverpool to win stuff, next year they win the CL without him
    ditto viera and arsenal, if they win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

^Theres a lesson in there for some people. Loyalty is one of the most admirable traits in modern footballers, probably because it is extremely rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Only a few hours to go. Senderos is defo out and Cambell is defo in.....straight forward swap in my opinion but hopefully he is mentally fit. If Senderos was fit I think Campbell would have been on the bench. Also reading on sky sports Gael Clichy is back to full fitness also......do you think Wenger should drop Flamini???
    Reyes is also back after suspension so thats big plus.

Will Arsenal sit back and defend there lead??? not on your nelly, go and get the away goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MBC wrote:
    Only a few hours to go. Senderos is defo out and Cambell is defo in.....straight forward swap in my opinion but hopefully he is mentally fit. If Senderos was fit I think Campbell would have been on the bench. Also reading on sky sports Gael Clichy is back to full fitness also......do you think Wenger should drop Flamini???
    Reyes is also back after suspension so thats big plus.

Will Arsenal sit back and defend there lead??? not on your nelly, go and get the away goal.

Clichy and Cole where both back playing last week, seemily Clichy has had a week or so more of training. At the moment Flamini has done great so I wouldnt drop him. Why break up a winning team. The loss of Senderos isnt that big if Campbell is back in right frame of mind. Should be a great game. For once I will say "Come on the Arsenal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Totally agree Nelly, although Aaron lennon skint him a few times on sat, but that is to be expected after all those steady games flamini has had in his temp position.

I see paddypowers has Villareal as favourites for the game tonight at 7/5 (arsenal 15/8), but Arsenal to qualify for the next round is 1/4 (Villareal 11/4)......bookies don't usually get it wrong and for once i hope they get it right tonight.

Prediction: Villareal 1-2 Arsenal (Henry, Ljungberg)

FOR THE LEGEND HIMSELF
    (to the tune of "The First Noel")

Thierry Henry
    Came to us from Turin
    Not too sure about playing,
    Up-front or the wing
    Then Arsene had a word,
    And he said he was keen
    To turn him into the best striker, We've ever seen

MBC wrote:
    Totally agree Nelly, although Aaron lennon skint him a few times on sat, but that is to be expected after all those steady games flamini has had in his temp position

Think Lennon has skint a few players this season so this would be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    ^Theres a lesson in there for some people. Loyalty is one of the most admirable traits in modern footballers, probably because it is extremely rare.

I think if viera hadnt left, they may not have been in this position, alot of the younger great players like fabregas/flamini, etc wouldnt be getting their games and they have been fantastic for arsenal over the last few months...Viera leaving might have been the unleashing of the shackles on arsenal ;)

Can't wait for this game tonight. Getting nervous again, few butterflies. Campbell coming in for Senderos will be a bit of a gamble. The formation that is played in Europe should help, Campbell a bit.
    Can see Arsenal scoring tonight, we're too good not to. IF we can manage a goal, Villareal would need three, and I don't think they would be able to beat us by three goals. They are a very good team, and I am hoping for a very good game. Even if we do end up losing 2-1, I wont be too unhappy as long as we can manage to get to the Final, as anything can happen in a game of football.

C'mon the Arsenal!!

Roddy23 wrote:
    Can't wait for this game tonight. Getting nervous again, few butterflies. Campbell coming in for Senderos will be a bit of a gamble. The formation that is played in Europe should help, Campbell a bit.
    Can see Arsenal scoring tonight, we're too good not to. IF we can manage a goal, Villareal would need three, and I don't think they would be able to beat us by three goals. They are a very good team, and I am hoping for a very good game. Even if we do end up losing 2-1, I wont be too unhappy as long as we can manage to get to the Final, as anything can happen in a game of football.

C'mon the Arsenal!!

The yellow submarine have had problems all season scoring. I dont see them putting 2 past Arsenal. Just one other thing.....anyone know what players are on a yellow so if they get another one would miss the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Big Nelly wrote:
    The yellow submarine have had problems all season scoring. I dont see them putting 2 past Arsenal. Just one other thing.....anyone know what players are on a yellow so if they get another one would miss the final?

I hope you are right, but this is a cup tie. I think villarellel have become too confident. If we can keep until half time without conceeding and tiedown riquelme then that would be great. I only hope if jose mari dives once, he gets a card as when at home the ref might not be as sturdy as he was in highbury. is it the same ref i wonder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I can't see them scoring that many either, riquelme is their top goalscorer at the moment i think but half of his have been penos, they seem to be solid at the back but i'd imagine arsenal have the quality to breach them on the break. Its nice to see such a tiny team in the semi final and i wish villareal lots of luck in the future but i still hope arsenal beat them to make a better final.
    Don't even mind if they win the bloody thing, won't diminish liverpool's win and can only be good for the premiership. The whole 4th champions leage spot debate would be funny too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ugghh I hate villareal so much. such a boring side. almost as bad as benfica.

cmon arsenal.

• Advertisement

heres a bit about the ref for tonight Valentin Ivanov.
    Just hope he'll be weary of the play acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why all the hate on Villarreal ?

Villarreal: Barbosa, Venta, Pena, Alvarez, Arruabarrena, Riquelme, Josico, Senna, Sorin, Forlan, Franco.

Thats a 4-3-1-2 formation with a flat back 4, three mids with Josico the more defensive alongside Senna and Sorin, Roman in the hole and Franco and Forlan up top. It allows them to switch the formation around in many different ways.

While they dont score much, around 9 this champs league, they rarely concede, especially at home.

I predict a 2-0, or 3-1 to the yellow subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hmm, I must be the only one not gone to the pub for this!
    Flamini gone off injured early, Gael Clichy replaced him. Some decent enough pressure from Villareal but no clear-cut chances so far.

appalling match so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I thought Wenger said that they would not sit back tonight!

I am hoping that Villarreal get a goal so that we get a little more interest from Arsenal.

Arsenal are playing a bit of a dangerous game, Villareal have made better chances and applied more pressure as the half went on. I think the half time whistle would have been a welcome for Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Lehman gets lucky with a save, Gilberrto should have been sent off for kicking out, possible penalty shout too, Arsenal look a bit lost and Villareal looking the better team thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Anyone have a link to live stream to watch it on the net??

Someone just ran on the pitch to give Henry a Barcelona shirt :D:D

• Advertisement

a Barcelona shirt with Henry on the back of it :eek:

villareal almost score :mad:

Arsenal still have not got their heads together. They need to change something fast or they are going to pay the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

:eek: trust Diego Forlan to miss !

That must have been the best chance so far by Forlan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus this is pure torture !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

u would think this is a match from the group stages or something, theres no urgency from either side, no passion, i dont think i've seen more than 4 passes strung together

if either team give away the ball this much against milan or barca they will be slaughtered. its like watching bleedin' 11 luis garcia's v 11 luis garcias with the amount of cheap balls given away

• Advertisement

Arsenal seem to have weathered the worst of it.

Arsenal seem to be waking up a bit. venturing forward a but a piss poor match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Omg!

What a ****ing dive!

...justice I guess!

• Advertisement
Advertisement