Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs Villarreal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Savvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Wow!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

omg gwan lehmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Oh Lehmann!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

brillant save.. fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Riquelme noooo.

The crappiest of the crappiest crap penalties; and then he just stands there while the ball rebounds towards him. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

magnificent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Hahahaha Great!

Yes thank god I have no nails left after that !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

great for arsenal,
    feel awful for riquelme.

• Advertisement

w00t :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

amazing to see the villarreal fans clapping arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

We had to wait until the 88th minute for the game to come to life. Villarreal did not take their chances tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

what a boring boring match. u would think it was the semi-final of the outer mongolian reserves cup not the champions league, both teams were so casual about everything. awful, if arsenal bring that game to paris they'll be embarressed, hopefully they play like they can in paris

amazing to see the villarreal fans clapping arsenal.

Especially after the **** nervous game Arsenal played.

We were lucky !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Well done to Arsenal, Villareal had it to win though. Lets hope the Gooners can win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Truly that was a Liverpooleque performance from Arsenal, except without the quality defending apart from Lehmann who saved your arse big time.

What were the tactics? Frustrate Villarreal to death by letting them almost score?? :D

Still they are through and will get hammed by Barca unless a different team take to the pitch in Paris.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Adelante Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Well Done Arsenal.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Fair play Arsenal. But as has been said - if they show up with the same attitude in Paris they'll be murdered by Barcelona.

Henry will prob urge them to shine in front of the french crowd tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fair play Arsenal. But as has been said - if they show up with the same attitude in Paris they'll be murdered by Barcelona.
    Um...isn't there another semi to be decided tomorrow??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well done Aresnal, great result and well deserved result, lucky with the pen and Lehmann had the game of his life but hey, thats what knockout football is all about.

Nice of Thierry to mention Stevie G, particularly on this most important of nights..

I think that just proves Henry knew he did'nt have anything else to talk about! Or Henry for 'Pool. Shock. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How bad were Arsenal? they better play 10 times as well in the final or they are in big trouble. Riquelme wins the award for worst penalty taker ever, Lehmann had dived when he was still a full stride away from taking his shot and he still put it at him. He had so much time to hit it the other way it wasnt funny. Justice I spose though, seeing as it was never a penalty.

You have to laugh when these "big game players" step up for things like this and bottle it.

Henry was terrible. He was giving the exact same balls that he stands there throwing a tantrum about when they are an inch away from his reach every other week.

Either way, Arsenal scored and Villareal did'nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm feeling a sense of deja vu like Liverpool's great fluke last year. :confused:

Football badly needs Barcelona to win this competition this year and not an average European side like Arsenal.

• Advertisement

At last! Fluke is mentioned. Now I feel alright.

The clueless foward play from the Gunners was shocking I have to say, esp down the right side. I was expecting Villarreal to get very nervy from about 75 mins as they realised they were running out of time but they kept the shape and style to the last moment really and Arsenal could'nt pass thier way
    into any desicive positions.

Mike.

Arsenal won Ugly, and they werent the 1st or last team to ever do it. Its a Semi Final it doesnt matter how you win, Pool fans should know they won 5 of them. Barca will possibly do the same tomorrow and they fully right too, just dont concede and your in the final.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Poor display from the gunners, they really enver got going, and their defensive tactics really didnt suit them at all. They only had Henry's late late chance when Villareal were all out attack. Terrible peno from Riquelme, it wasn't even near the corner. Whoever Arsenal play in the final(Barca!!), they will have to play a hundred times better to beat them, But congrats none-the-less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Terrible match, awful passing, no cohesion, no attempts on goal before 80 minutes, no belief, no noise from the away section in the crowd...

One fantastic save...
    One fantastic result!

We're off to the final! \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think Arsenal would sit back that much in the final. They knew if they avoided defeat tonight they would go through, so the tactics were understandable, although risky at times. When they did get forward they didn't look at their best, but maybe it was just one of those nights.
    Villareal had a stone-wall penalty claim denied at Highbury, tonight they were handed the softest of decisions. Poor penalty, but fair play to Lehmann I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

tbh the thing that impressed me most about this match....there was no extra time
    well done arsenal, didn't expect them to get this far and i expect barca will beat them, maybe they'll do they unexpected again.
    reckon barca deserve it though

KdjaC wrote:
    Pool fans should know they won 5 of them.

6 actually. They wer'nt all ugly though.

eyerer wrote:
    tbh the thing that impressed me most about this match....there was no extra time
    well done arsenal, didn't expect them to get this far and i expect barca will beat them, maybe they'll do they unexpected again.
    reckon barca deserve it though

Arsenal have turned it on in the CL when it mattered and when they pass it and move any team will find it hard to stop them, If Barca make and play as is, it will be a cracking game and Arsenal are good enough to beat them or AC for that matter.

Dont how they got there they got there and they have torn every team they played apart in the CL. I also have a bet on them since the start of the season to win, but i bet on AC at the start of last season :(

kdjac

mr_angry wrote:
    One fantastic save...

I'm all for credit where it's due, but it was most definately not a fantastic save. Lehmann went about 2 seconds early and anyone with one working leg would have just sidefooted it to the far side. It was more a back pass than anything else. It was like an acknowledgement that it was a dive that won the penalty. If I didnt know better I'd say he was on the take.

The big question is now, do they go all out and make sure they win the last 3 games to try get 4th spot (even if it's not in their hands) or do they take it a bit easy, avoid injury and hope to god they beat Barce/Milan in the final? Not being in the CL next season would be a very bad thing.

Er won 5, been in 6 finals lost 1985 against Juve.

Riquelme fluffed the peno for the same reason Shevchenko did last year, it was the last chance to grab a goal and he was'nt as big as the moment. His nerve failed.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

shows Riquelme cant do it in the big matches quite disappointed with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Shockingly bad match, Arsenal are going to have to play 50 times better than they have in any match since their last game against Juve.

mike65 wrote:
    Er won 5, been in 6 finals lost 1985 against Juve..

He said "Its a Semi Final it doesnt matter how you win, Pool fans should know they won 5 of them"

So I corrected him and said it has been 6 semi's.

Doh! Fair play. :o

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

YES
    Arsenal were brutal and very lucky to get into the Final more due to poor finishing by Villa and poor performance by Arsenal's defence.
    Worst display by the back 4 this season but
    Lehmann was brilliant and to save a peno with 2 minutes left, omg, class!
    The back 4 looked very dodgy.
    Will be interesting to see the team that starts on 17th May in Paris.
    Cole may be back fit?
    Does he play Campbell?
    Anyway who cares, we're there and that's all that matters.

Now who got tickets from the UEFA open draw, doesn't support Arsenal
    and want's to make sure an Arsenal fan gets them? :o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

disgraceful viilareal deservea place a in the final a lot more than arsenal. they played liked school boys 2day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Haha. There was only one team worse than Arsenal tonight, and that was Villareal. For all their posession, they had only 2 or 3 attempts on goal, two of which went sailing wide, and one of which was offside. And then there was the "penalty".

If you can't finish, you don't deserve ****.

(Yes, I do realise that comment was tongue-in-cheek)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

chiller wrote:
    disgraceful viilareal deservea place a in the final a lot more than arsenal. they played liked school boys 2day

Sour grapes anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I'm feeling a sense of deja vu like Liverpool's great fluke last year. :confused:

Football badly needs Barcelona to win this competition this year and not an average European side like Arsenal.
    What a load of crap. How was it a fluke? Arsenal battered Villareal at Highbury and should have scored two or three. Villareal didn't create anything of night and got what they deserved, just like Arsenal.

An also what utter crap about football needing Barcelona to win. Arsenal on their day are as good a footballing side as anyone in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

fair play to arsenal lets hope they can go on and win it,yes this is coming from a man utd fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Congratulations to Arsenal. Didn't see all of the match, missed the penalty save :mad: but they did what they had to do. They qualified for the final, fair play.

Here's hoping for an Arsenal vs Milan final with the Rossoneri triumphing at the end. ;)

chiller wrote:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Btw, if it is a Barca vs. Arsenal final, it is a victory for football.
    Two teams that play the game properly as it is meant to be play, to attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

PHB wrote:
    Btw, if it is a Barca vs. Arsenal final, it is a victory for football.
    Two teams that play the game properly as it is meant to be play, to attack.

spot on. barca deserve to win it though, they are without doubt the best team on the planet.

10 clean sheets on the trot for arsenal in the CL, somewhat flatters their defence :rolleyes: im sure that will change in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Not gonna say anything about the boo-boys on here slagging the Arsenal (up till this post). Don't care how we got to the Final, the main thing is we are there.

C'mon the Arsenal....

There will be no work done come May 17th.

Advertisement