Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Paint

Options
  • 18-04-2006 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

What is the correct type of paint to put on bathroom walls and on bathroom timberwork.
    Look forward to any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well I not put vinyl silk emulsion on walls as the steam will build and run down the wall from being in the bath/shower,well unless you have a very well ventilated bathroom.

I used a paint by dulux recently called *Kitchen&Bathrooms*,it was the worst paint I have ever used.There are a number of other paints out there for bathrooms.The best I can recommend is either softsheen finish or a matt emulsion finish.As for the timber the traditional is oil based undercoat&gloss as a finish or varnish if desired if the woodwork is new.Nowadays there is waterbased undercoat/gloss which is not as durable as an oil based finish but its quick drying and no harmfull fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Use Dulux Satinwood on timber.
    Use a good quality Mid sheen emulsion on walls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

mad m wrote:

I used a paint by dulux recently called *Kitchen&Bathrooms*,it was the worst paint I have ever used.There are a number of other paints out there for bathrooms.The best I can recommend is either softsheen finish or a matt emulsion finish

I am just about to open a tin of this for a bathroom, should I return it and get another?
    Is this the Dulux Bathroom paint range?

Thanks in advance.
    Have even settled for a colour as I thought it would be best to use bathroom paint in the bathroom?
    Tobi

Tobi2 wrote:
    I am just about to open a tin of this for a bathroom, should I return it and get another?
    Is this the Dulux Bathroom paint range?

Thanks in advance.
    Have even settled for a colour as I thought it would be best to use bathroom paint in the bathroom?
    Tobi

Well my personal experience I used this in my bathroom a little while back,granted I have no vent in bathroom(which is why I got it) but leave windows open when showering/bathing. The paint was only on walls and there are streaks down it from steam.This paint is meant to be for moist surfaces etc anti mould etc.

Its on walls about 3months and some of it is flaking already.So im thinking of putting a softsheen back on walls as it lasted a couple of years.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe that's the point though? The Bathroom paint, like tiles, will get wet with steam. Where does the moist air go with matt paint? You don't want the walls soaking up the moisture (which they'd do with matt), as it could cause longer term damage.

• Advertisement

The streaks stayed and wont go away! Tiles you can wipe and if there white happy days. Now where is that can of softsheen.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Thanks for that madm.
    Back to the painting board.:rolleyes:
    Tobi

Well to be honest Tobi2 Im just going on my experience with this paint.I used it many years ago in a kitchen out in leopardstown and you couldnt even roll this stuff as it runs like a childs nose on a winters day.

I brushed my walls with it and there was no problem doing that. Its like everything else to do with ktichen&bathrooms,they need to be well ventilated to prevent the moisture build up.Previous to this paint I had a softsheen on it and not one bit of flaking or streaking. You can get the colour you picked mixed up in a softsheen finish anyway.

As I said I'm going back to a softsheen finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Tks a lot for all the info folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

try see if you can get the colour in eggshell finish, an oil based paint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Used one of the Bathroom paints - can't remember whether crown or dulux. Been in the house over a year now, and no problems with peeling or anything. Sounds like too thin a coat or damp walls to me. Stood up where water based vanish hasn't.

Also have B&Q Kitchen paint in the Kitchen shockingly enough - no problems with steam (steamer or kettle) or water.

If the trouble getting them off the brushes, rollers, hands etc is anything to go by then should do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

I used Homebase paint for bathrooms in my en-suite three years ago and it is as good as new. Only ventilation is an extractor fan and the shower is used twice daily.

Advertisement