Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PADI Advanced Open Water - Irish dives requirement before you do it?

Options
  • 18-04-2006 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi all,

I am looking to get my AOW dive ticket, and I was told by one dive school I had to have a number of dives done in Ireland before I can do the AOW.

I have been looking on the PADI (its bloody rubbish!) and I can't find any information on that.

Can someone steer me in the direction of that information, or help out?

cheers,
    b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I am looking to get my AOW dive ticket, and I was told by one dive school I had to have a number of dives done in Ireland before I can do the AOW.

I have been looking on the PADI (its bloody rubbish!) and I can't find any information on that.

Absolute rubbish, there is no PADI requiremenet for Irish or cold water dives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bluboxthief

Hi Borzoi,

Thanks for the comment. You see thats the **** that I hate! When people give you complete bumsteers!

This is the exact way the guy put it:

you need to be dived up in order to do the advanced open water course. That means that you must have proof of recent dives in Ireland. These dives must have being done within 6 months of the course date.

Maybe, I am reading wrong, but that did seem like rubbish to me.

Anyone got any thoughts?
    thanks again
    b

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

It might not be a PADI requirement but the instructor is perfectly entitled to make sure that you're dived up and that your last dive wasn't 2 years ago on the barrier reef and you're not showing up in a brand new drysuit with all new gear expecting to be brought through a course. I don't think its unreasonable at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bluboxthief

Hi donny,

I understand and I agree, but if he said, its a requirement of mine for safety of the class, you and the instructor, I would have understood and agreed.

Anyway, I just wanted to sound it out. I will probably end up going with them, but it just sounded kinda strange at the time.

thanks anyway,
    b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I understand and I agree, but if he said, its a requirement of mine for safety of the class, you and the instructor, I would have understood and agreed.

Anyway, I just wanted to sound it out. I will probably end up going with them, but it just sounded kinda strange at the time.

I'd agree with Donny, and yourself, he is entitled to ask for more, but perhaps he should have suggested a scube review?

Anyway, I'd always err on the side of caution, and it sounds like what the instructor is trying to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 scuba chick

hey i new to both forums, and diving, but as far as i know you dont need to have diving experience just your open water, but im not too sure, i can find out for definate this weekend from padi diving instructors, and they wont feed anyone bull. so if i can figure out how to get back to this page i'll let you know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

There is no "PADI requirement" to have dived in Ireland before the course. My point was that the instructor might have his own requirements that candidates be properly prepared for the course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

A lot of schools will require you to do a cold water orientation dive or dives if you haven't dived in Ireland before. It's not a PADI requirement but it may be an insurance issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Evil Phil wrote:
    A lot of schools will require you to do a cold water orientation dive or dives if you haven't dived in Ireland before. It's not a PADI requirement but it may be an insurance issue.

Yup. Its really to protect themselves against accidents. Warm water diving and cold water diving are two different things. Cold water you're wearing thicker thermal prtection and the vis usually is not as good as Red Sea etc.

Its reasonable IMO.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

CFT Require dives for 1* & 2* diver quals. to be in Irish waters.

The PADI instructor is right to insist that you are 'dived up' in Irish/cold water, he perhaps should have made clear his intentions.

Benny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I also agree, I would much prefer to have an OW student who qualified abroad to have an orientation dive in Ireland, before I took them on an AOW course.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Hi guys,

Personally I would have no problem taking a student from an OW course in the red sea and countinue the education here in Ire, especially if the course is done in a wetsuit. The conditions here is not that extreme.

Seems like the instructor are following a trend i have seen in the diveshops here, ripping divers off.

Edit:
    This is what the Inst manual says:
    Preassessment
    The recommended method for
    preassessing basic diving knowledge
    is to have student divers complete the
    34 question Quick Review found in
    the Adventures in Diving manual or
    Multimedia . A copy of the Quick
    Review is also located in the Appendix
    of this guide. To assess basic
    diving skills, consider having student
    divers complete the PADI Skill Evaluation
    in confined water.
    Remediate knowledge and skills
    as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

I did a reasonable number of dives here in Ireland between my Open Water qualification in Mallorca and doing my Advanced Open Water in Ireland. As I result I appreciated the course more and had a bit more insight into the experience, more questions to ask etc.

I'd certainly recommend doing the course and progressing especially to Rescue Diver but don't forget to intersperse all the training with time actually diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

i Tought the Padi open water corse certified you to condition equal to or better than the condition you where trained in and if so then the school was within its right of Padi to say what they said as irish water is supposly more dangerous to dive in than alot of resorts with clear water

I see no problem with having to do some sort of dive in irish water before been allowed to do the corse

Advertisement