Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gps..

Options
  • 18-04-2006 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was just looking at a GPS reciever on komplett there.. its a USB 1 which i could use for my laptop.. I was just wondering what I could do with it..any cool stuff? And how would you go about tracking an object like a car or person??? Ooooh! I have noreal purpose in mind just curious and would like a new toy to play with..

Also, any weblinks on the topics would be appreciated..Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

First you might want to read one of the How does GPS Work? websites.

GPS Receivers receive data, they don't send data, so you can't track an object like a car or a person. The only thing you can track is yourself.

The way it works: You switch on your GPS receiver/laptop/other hardware. The GPS receiver receives signals from some of the satellites orbiting earth. The GPS receiver uses the data it receives from the satellites to determine exactly where on the earths surface you are located (within a couple of feet of accurracy). This info can then be fed into something like a mapping program etc., to determine where you are, and maybe assist you with where you are going..

There are some devices that can also transmit the GPS data, e.g. using GRPS (mobile phone comms. etc), but these are typically not commercially available.

Cool stuff:
    Most common use is navigation. Figuring out where you are, where you want to go, how to get there, how to avoid the traffic on the way there and how quick you are going.
    Another use is Geocaching, which is kind of like a treasure hunt.
    Another cool use, is for hiking, hill-walking, visiting Historic sites , such as those listed on Megalithomania..

A GPS device is very versatile (unless of course you have it hooked up to a laptop!), so what you use it for is really up to you.. Mine has taken me to every nook and cranny of this fair Isle.... And helped me find where I needed to go in a number of other countries.. happy reading..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Advertisement