Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick idea for admin

Options
  • 19-04-2006 12:18am
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Can someone tell me why do we have signigtures enabled what purpose do they have except taking up server power and space and making pages load slower. Would it make more sense to get rid of them.

Just a thought
    TCP/IP
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

TCP/IP wrote:
    Hi Lads,

Can someone tell me why do we have signigtures enabled what purpose do they have except taking up server power and space and making pages load slower. Would it make more sense to get rid of them.

Just a thought
    TCP/IP
    You realise that you have a signature, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

You can chage your settings so you dont have to look at them. Have a look in User Settings --> Edit Options

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's an identifier for those without avatars. All the cool kids have them.

*cough*

Images are generally not on the boards servers anyway, so it's users bandwidth it's taking up, not boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Images are generally not on the boards servers anyway, so it's users bandwidth it's taking up, not boards.

even more so now that members.boards.ie has been down for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Another thing for Subscribers only? Mohah we are so mean

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i know i have a little text which i woiuld be happy to loose but i am really talking abot pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Another thing for Subscribers only?

I likes your thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed. I'm fairly sure that it's been said before that the impact of sigs is normally quite minimal on the servers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

TCP/IP wrote:
    Hi Lads,

Just a thought
    TCP/IP

I dunno; why are there different avatars available, why do shops sell different colour clothing, why is there more than 1 type of chocolate bar in Spar?
    I'd imagine in the grand scheme of things sigs have very little effect on site performance, for those with slow connections and pings they can always switch them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

flogen wrote:
    I dunno; why are there different avatars available, why do shops sell different colour clothing, why is there more than 1 type of chocolate bar in Spar?
    I'd imagine in the grand scheme of things sigs have very little effect on site performance, for those with slow connections and pings they can always switch them off.

Signatures are a waste of space, especially some peoples :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Signatures are a waste of space, especially some peoples :D

Look buddy, I don't think you're in a position to criticise what with you owning a dog that obviously has a severe gambling problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as we have SIGPO to hunt down and report the worst cases I think the sigs should stay "on". Subscriber idea not bad tho.

flogen wrote:
    Look buddy, I don't think you're in a position to criticise what with you owning a dog that obviously has a severe gambling problem :D

he has made me €4 million over the past 2 years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

sigs should remain. next thing you could say all the fancy colours and formatting is a waste of bandwidth. then all the text. maybe we could just make this one big leet speak chat room?

sigs remain! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yours is too big luserbar user :V

If I were to contribute to this thread, I'd only be rephrasing what everyone else has said. But that won't stop this turning into a five page thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Postcount++?

&#231 wrote: »
    Postcount++?

;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i think my point is what everybody has to say in there posts is important but taking examples from this thread alone what is the point in an Irish flag and a poker playing dog ummm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I find pokerdog funneh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So do I. And he's adorable. Brings a smile to my face!

Advertisement