Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy in General

Options
  • 19-04-2006 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

I played Final Fantasy VII on the PC years ago and I loved it but then I forgot about. Recently I realised just how many FF games have been released since and I can't help but wonder how much I've been missing.

I abandoned consoles years ago so I never went near FF for ages. So, what im wondering is, just how many FF games are there these days, which ones are good, and which ones are on PC? (While we're at it, which consoles?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only ff 7, 8 and 11 got release on the pc.

there's 13 i think in total.

1-12 plus X-2 - which is final fantasy 10 part two.

11 is the one i've played most recently it's a MMORPG which is actually quite good but i just didn't have time for it anymore with college and stuff.

all games below and including 6 i think were released on the NES/SNES systems and with 6 getting a re release on the PSX some time ago.

that's all i know as i'm not a complete avid maniac fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Actually FFX probably had the best stroyline of the whole lot, it was very immersive. PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You could just get ePSXe and then buy the PSX games and play the ISOs, thats what I did, allowed me to play Chrono Cross and Xenogears on pc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I, II, IV, V and VI can all be gotten on the Playstation. As far as I'm concerned VI is the pinnacle of the series. I and II are nothing to write home about to let the truth be told.

I'd actually rank VII fairly low on my list of favourite Final Fantasies, were I to make such a list. VII to IX are on the psx and x and x-2 are on the ps2. They're all worth the play if you can find them.

If you only had time to play one of them I'd suggest VI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

VI, VII, IX and X where the best for me. Not sure how to rate them but FFVII will always have a special place in my heart. Also FF Tactics on the PS1 was an amazing game, as good as FFVII but it was a viciously tough game. Forget about the dull GBA game. I liked FFIII, FFIV and FFV as well but the storylines are a bit dated.

There are a few FF spin-offs. There are 3 FF games on the Gameboy but they are actually renamed saga series games. Also FF mystic quest on the Snes which was just plain awful. FF1-3 appeared on the NES, FF4-6 on the Snes, FFVII-IX on the PS1 and FFX and FFX-2 on the PS2. FF12 looks to be something special. FFVII and FFVIII are the only ones released on PC. The NES and SNES games are emulated perfectly and the PS1 games practically perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

FFVI still tops my list... quality characters, good spot-humour and the best end boss IMO... *mumble mumble* creepy clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

FFX is a really good one and can be obtained very cheaply ie.€10
    FFX-2 wasn't as awful as most people felt imo.I thought it was very playable and held some replay value...
    I wasn't overly impressed with FFVII , but again that is my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Weakest link is VIII imo, and it is STILL very playable. Pre-VI (i.e. SNES) you're better off with the Chrono Trigger/Secrets of Mana/Seiken Denetsu series, or Squaresofts forgotten masterpiece - Bahamut Lagoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

When I was young I was basically obsessed with these games- if I had the time now id probably play them all again!! VI, VII, VIII and X were the best, I didnt enjoy IX that much but it doesnt mean you wont! Its all about the storylines for me! My favourite is VII by far. The older ones can be got if you get an emulator and the files off the web, theyre a laugh to play on the aul laptop if youre bored at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mp3guy wrote:
    You could just get ePSXe and then buy the PSX games and play the ISOs, thats what I did, allowed me to play Chrono Cross and Xenogears on pc

This I am currently working on.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I'll try and get 8 and 10. 10 looks pretty nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Id really reccomend 9. It had a good story, a great battle system and pretty good graphics as well. I used to love 8 but the summons are so annoying. Alot of people complain about the storyline but i thought it was pretty good. For some reason i played 8 and 9 before i got 7. 7 is good. The materia system they use is class and the game is lots more difficult than 8 or 9.

I bought 6 as well on the ps1. Its a port of a SNES game i think. I played the first 4 hours of it and was really getting into it but i left it alone for a week for exams and never went back cos 10 came out then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVIII is definitely the worst game in the series since FFII. It's enjoyable but the story, battle system aren't the best and the characters are terrible.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    FFVIII is definitely the worst game in the series since FFII. It's enjoyable but the story, battle system aren't the best and the characters are terrible.

Not to mention having one of the worst plot twists in the history of creation. The whole SeeD thing was daft aswell.

I never really played the game properly so I can't really comment on the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

There was a plot twist? :confused:

Anima wrote:
    There was a plot twist? :confused:

That ridiculous Ultimicia bit at the end.

grimloch wrote:
    That ridiculous Ultimicia bit at the end.

That wasn't a twist. It just can out of nowhere, completely random.

If you want a terrible plot twist how about when
    they find out they all new each other as children.They just somehow forgot because of their GFs or some such nonsense.
    Now that was embarassing and ridiculous.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    That wasn't a twist. It just can out of nowhere, completely random.

If you want a terrible plot twist how about when
    they find out they all new each other as children.They just somehow forgot because of their GFs or some such nonsense.
    Now that was embarassing and ridiculous.

Yes it was a plot twist and a crépe one at that. Nearly the same as Necron but less shíte

I recall that particular scene gave purpose to many of the characters and thus, to a certain extent, salvaged many of the characters. Without it, the story would have been much weaker and a mass Barretttt situation would have occured.

EDIT: Grimlochs sober friend. I spellchecked this one but refused to spellcheck the syntactal mess on the other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any body looking forward to the next Final Fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I am! Cant wait! Was looking at amazon.co.uk there today and its been given a release date for august 1st. I thought it would be longer than that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i'd say it'll be more of a wait then august 1st. it still needs to be translated (and probably badly) and then the US gets the release first. generally, we have to wait till its available in europe, so theres quite a few different languages that it needs to be translated into.

as for looking forward to it, it got 40/40 in Famitsu. not much else needs to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's all been downhill since VII for me. IX was a brief return to form, but that's it. X, I thought, was dire. They took away any illusion of freedom and had you running on a totally linear path from A to B to C with one of the most annoying, whiny main protaganists ever seen in the game.

FF has never been anything but linear. You could return to previous places but there was no point until late in the game for subquests. For the record I found FFX to be far and away the best RPG of this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

40/40 in Famitsu.
    Remember, Famitsu is a magazine, and magazines have audiences; and they will give their audience what they perceive they'll like. So, being Japanese, they're slightly conservative -- and know that FFXII will sell ****loads.
    So, if Famitsu were to say "This game is good but not great" and it sold loads, they'd lose thousands of sales. Not good.

To sum it up: I'm waiting for the Edge review. Preview looks favourable, though.

Back OT, I loved IX. Gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling (and I think I understood the plot, which was a first for me, as I seem to play plenty of games which need websites to understand them...)

Advertisement