Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing new oven & hob

Options
  • 19-04-2006 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

What is the prodedure for this. Do I need a Reci electrican, or any handy man. My concern is home insurance, god forbid the place would go up in smoke as a result.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I did mine (not induction DeDie Hob and Zanussi Oven), they are simple to fit. The DeDie hob was the most confusing but they supplied a wiring diagram. Almost like wiring a plug but different if you get me. +ve to +ve -ve to -ve gnd to gnd (if there is one). Job done. I presume you have them on a seperate loop from the trip switches - make sure it is off...

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I done mine a Belling hob and oven. It's very straight forward. Ensure power is off at fuse box then disconnect old hob and oven and reconnect at junction box and pop appliences back in

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

LFC Murphy wrote:
    What is the prodedure for this. Do I need a Reci electrican, or any handy man. My concern is home insurance, god forbid the place would go up in smoke as a result.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks

It is pretty easy, but if you dont know what you are doing (eg: have to ask), you may be better off getting a pro or at least a friend who is good a DIY to assist in the process! Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I'd have no problem actually doing in (hopefully my degree in electronics would take care of that) however I am concerned with any regulations concerning installation. for example would the warrenty become void, would the insurance company not pay out etc if I did it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

LFC Murphy wrote:
    for example would the warrenty become void, would the insurance company not pay out etc if I did it myself?

I don't think so, and would certainly doubt it. What do the instructions say about installation wiring?

Have you actually got it in front of you at the moment (so to speak) or are you asking theoretically before you buy?

If you have it in front of you, take a look at the wiring on it. On mine, there was one loom from the back end, with 5 or 6 wires (can't remember now really) and attached to it was a piece of card with + - and E marked on it. I think there was a + and - to each set of 2 hobs and a common E.

The oven was much easier with + and - (and possibly an E).

These appliances are exactly like a fridge/washingmachine/kitchen radio/any other electrical appliance apart from the amp rating of the circuit.

If you are really really still in doubt, ring up the house insurer. They will tell you what they expect from you and when and how you are covered.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

If you know what you are doing then there isn't a problem. If you have a degree in EE, then I really dont see the problem! I think it would a rather funny court case were an insurance company was claiming to a judge that someone with an EE degree simply wasn't qualified to wire up a cooker and as such they were refusing to pay out!

Advertisement