Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor v Barneveld II

• 19-04-2006 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

PL matches this week are:

Phil Taylor v Ronnie Baxter
    Colin Lloyd v Roland Scholten
    Wayne Mardle v Peter Manley
    Ray Barneveld v Phil Taylor

Taylor and Barney were both playing in the Munich Open at the weekend. Adrian Lewis was the only other big named player. The final was between Taylor and Barney (Barney beat Lewis in the semis).

The final was best of 13 legs - Taylor had the throw in the odd legs and went as follows:

Leg 1:
    With Taylor on 111, Barney hits a maximum to leave 24. Taylor fails and Barney takes out D12 for a 13 dart leg. 0-1.

Leg 2
    Taylor hits back with a 14 dart leg, taking out 68 with Barney waiting on 32. 1-1.

Leg 3
    Taylor takes 3 darts to take out 32, but nonetheless wins the leg in 15 darts. Barney left on 70. 2-1.

Leg 4
    Taylor starts 180, 180. Fails in his 9-darter attempt, but takes the leg in 11, breaking Barney's throw to lead 3-1.

Leg 5:
    Taylor holds throw in 15 darts, taking out 87 with Barney back on 116 to build a commanding 4-1 lead.

Leg 6:
    Barney narrowly misses the bull for what would have been a 170 checkout. Taylor hits 140 to leave himself 32, but Barney takes out 25 to hold throw and win the leg in 14 darts. 4-2.

Leg 7:
    After 9 darts each Taylor is on 220 and Barney on 135. Taylor hits a maximum to leave himself tops. Barney takes out 135 to break Taylor's throw! Game on! 4-3.

Leg 8:
    A relatively poor leg, Barney still has 86 left after 15 darts, and Taylor punishes him taking out 120 to break throw and go 5-3 ahead.

Leg 9:
    Is the pressure telling? Taylor's second visit to the oche lands him a bag of nails 22 and he follows it with a 55. After 9 darts Barney has left himself 170, and knows he has 6 darts to break back. But 20-20-20, then 20-20-10 leaves him floundering on 60. Taylor steps up to the oche with 50 to hit, but misses tops then misses D10. Barney has another chance, he has two darts at tops - but misses. Taylor finally takes out D5 to win the leg in 20 darts and move 6-3 ahead, one leg from victory.

Leg 10:
    3 consecutive 140s for Barney means he can afford to miss 4 darts at a double before finally taking the leg in 17 darts, with Taylor back on 64. 6-4.

Leg 11:
    An 11 dart leg from Barney, taking out 84, breaks the Taylor throw (sitting on 118) to bring it back to 6-5.

Leg 12:
    After 12 darts Banrey is sitting on 118. Taylor steps up looking at 167.
    Treble 20
    Treble 19
    BULL!!!!!!!!
    A 12 darter to finish, Taylor takes the title 7-5.
    Averages: Taylor 102, Barney 101.7

A nice appetiser for Thursday!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That sounds like a cracking match that either player could have won. Maybe the win will give Taylor a slight Phsychological advantage over Barnet now moving for Thursdays game. I would love to see Barney beat him. I dont why it is but when Barney was in the BDO I usualy found myself rooting for the opposition but I am usually rooting for Barney now that he is in the PDC. If im honest I have a sneaky feeling that this will end in a draw again. All im looking for is a match that lives up to the last one.

As for the other games, I think Taylor will be too strong for Baxter. MArdle has got to beat Manley. After three draws in a row he has given himself a slight chance but its do or die tonight. Lloyd and Scholten is an interesting one. Scholten has been on top form so far in the league where as Lloyd has been pretty poor. On paper Lloyd should win but I dont think he will. Scholten will win it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What a match, Darts is just sheer entertainment. There is no sporting atmosphere like it. The adreniline was pumping through me and I wasnt even at it!! In the end there was just one single dart between the two of them. Barney just had to hit double 18, when he hardly ever misses, to draw the game but he missed. Taylor then checked out on Double 7 to win. If these two players are going to give us games like that over the next few years we are in for a real treat.

Fantastic stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

great game of darts, if only barney could have hit the double 18! Have to say Taylor always seemed to be just that little bit better than Barney throughout but Barney hung in there and could have snatched a draw in the end. Another great gme though and i cant wait for the next installment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

What a game....actually what a night of pure entertainment.

I have to really give applause to Phil "the Power", I'm not his biggest fan - but I think he is not only a darting but a Sporting legend. Give credit were credit is due....he really had to work hard last night. If only Baxter and Barney had the mental attitude that he has. You could see last night that Baxter and Barney are more natural players than Phil and that he was really working hard in his own head to stay that one step ahead. Well done Phil Taylor your a legend.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

there is no other sportsman in the world as good at their game than Phil Taylor is at his, he`s actually been in every world final for the last 16 years i think now, he won the embassy, then lost in the final the following year, but won again the next, sot hats 3 finals in 3 years with the bdo, then moves to the pdc and has been in every final, thats not just good, thats astonishing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

there is no other sportsman in the world as good at their game than Phil Taylor is at his, he`s actually been in every world final for the last 16 years i think now, he won the embassy, then lost in the final the following year, but won again the next, sot hats 3 finals in 3 years with the bdo, then moves to the pdc and has been in every final, thats not just good, thats astonishing :eek:
    Thats not quite true.

I remember Taylor won his first world title by beating Eric Bristow 6-1 in the final. The following year Priestley won his first title by going one better and beating Bristow 6-0 in the final!

The next year Taylor beat Mike Gregory in sudden death, after Gregory had missed countless shots at a double to win the title. Then in the last world championship before the split, John Lowe beat Alan Warriner in the final.

But I believe you are right in saying that from 1994 to date Taylor has been in every world final, losing to Priestley and Part and winning 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

either way, its still phenomanal

Advertisement