Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 1.6hdi

Options
  • 19-04-2006 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Morning folks,

Just wondering if anybody has experience of the 1.6 diesel mentioned or any other one for that matter? I'm not very au fait with diesel cars and was looking at one of the above. Are the resale values poor?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

I have a peugeot 307 1.4hdi and I have had no problems so far. I am getting about 60 mpg and is suprisingly quiet for a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Peugeot HDi engines have a good reputation. Which model car is this engine in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hi Hawker,

I just bought a second hand 04 version yesterday. I think it is difficult enough to judge the second hand value of these cars as there are very few of them for sale privately. I have done a lot of research regarding peoples opinions of these cars.

Very few people have given negative reviews and when you consider that people are more likely to give negative reviews then positive ones i think it is says alot for the car. Plus it was the 1st car as far as i know to receive the a 5 star NCAP award.

I think it should also be noted that peugeot are also top of the class as far as diesel engines are concerned.

if i can answer anymore questions please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Hi,

I bought a 307 1.4 petrol last year and have been very happy with it. I had reservations about buying one as the early ones seemed to have reliability issues. These seem to have been ironed out as most negative feedback that I've found is for the earlier models (made worse by poor dealer service. I've thought about a diesel next time round but last time I looked at CBG.ie I found that the 307 diesel didn't sell at much of a premium over the petrol models. The 1.4 diesel seems to sell for less in some cases (even when the petrol equivalent has higher mileage). The 1.4 diesel seems to have been discontinued. The biggest problem I have is that there's a 3600 euro premium for the 1.6 diesel. The Corolla 1.4 diesel sells for 2500 over the cost of the equivalent petrol model and to my mind would make a more sensible buy in economic terms. Having owned a Corolla I'd prefer the Peugeot as a better drive and nicer car to be for any length of time.

Both Corolla and 307 are due to be replaced in 2007.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I owned two Focus C Max 1.6 TDCI's, which have the same powerplant afaik. 110bhp.

That engine is truly excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Sorry folks,

Should have added it's a the 407 model I was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

A friend of mine has a 407 1.6 HDI, he's very happy with it.
    He's no Fernando Alonso however, so I'm not sure if the 1.6 is underpowered for the 407. 1.6 seems like a titcy engine for a biggish car. Then again, 110bhp is brilliant for a 1.6 diesel. Personally I'd go for a Citroen C4 or Mazda3 if I wanted this engine - might be a bit small for you.

I'm not a VW fan, but the 1.9s fall under the tax limit & have about 105bhp. Passats a lot more €€€ tho...

You are aware Peugeots (& Citroens) are pretty unreliable by modern standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

pburns wrote:
    You are aware Peugeots (& Citroens) are pretty unreliable by modern standards?
    Not their engines though. BMW are partnering with Peugeot for their new 4 cylinder petrols, and the diesels are good enough for Ford, Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc. The 1.6HDi is a cracker - lots of torque and power for such a small capacity diesel. Still, the 407 is a big & heavy car. If you can stretch to the 2.0 HDi it is a lovely drive - I sampled it in a a Citroen C5 and a Volvo V50. In both cases there's oodles of power. I believe it's best sampled in a Mondeo.

Resale value is generally more down to the brand of car. Peugeot and Citroen would be much weaker than Ford, Volvo or mazda. Diesels will generally hold their value better than petrols, but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I sampled it in a a Citroen C5 and a Volvo V50. In both cases there's oodles of power. I believe it's best sampled in a Mondeo.

I don't think the HDi engines are used in the Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

interesting, I thought the 2.0 TDCI was a HDi. The 130bhp one? Same as used in the v50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

interesting, I thought the 2.0 TDCI was a HDi. The 130bhp one? Same as used in the v50?
    So did I.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 130 in the mondeo is a load of rubbish, eats clutches and is generally troublesome.

Advertisement