Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Tomato's

• 19-04-2006 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in an apartment - it has a decent balcony. I want to grow some tomato's for the summer - nothing major only a plant or two.

My q is: when should i plant them? I dont really want to start with the whole seed thing - but if it is a good choice (and i am early enough then i will go for that).

Does anyone have any advice on growing tomato's?

Also thinking about growning basil.

Cheers,

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You are early enough to start from seed. Mine just sprouted last week. Need to be get inside and warm until well under way then hardened out on your balcony for a week (bring him in at night).

Then, depending on the type, stick them in growing bags in a sheltered position that gets lots of sun. Or, if you go for the tumbler variety, put them in hanging baskets (think they're doing these in Aldi this week for 3.99), you'll need some tom fertiliser as well.

Although I'm growing from seeds I picked up a few cheap baby plants too which I'm transplanting this week.

Basil is pretty hard to get going. You might be better off buying one or two established plants (M&S do good growing ones). They do well on a sunny kitchen windowsill. Again, depends how much you use them. I live in an apartment and go through tonnes of herbs. I have two types of parsley, various baby leaf, rocket, toms, basil, chives, chillies (can be tricky unless you have lots of sun), sage and rosemary all going atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

excellent Tazz - think i'll try one or two from seed and get some plants just in case ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tazz T wrote:
    ...You might be better off buying one or two established plants...

For Tomato plants, I would recommend buying a couple of Cherry or Tumbler tomato plants in a Garden centre and growing them in a pot. The plants you buy are a 5-10cm big - they do grow. I have done this for several years now with great results.

Same with Basil, have two lots coming up now from seed so should get a second crop later on in the summer. Already grown plants might be a good way to go for Basil too. However, little whitefly LOVE Basil. The feckers!

L.

Advertisement