Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question: Changing licence

Options
  • 19-04-2006 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My licence is about it run out and I drive to work and use the car a lot, my question is, in the period of time when my old licence is gone before I get my new licence, what can I do? Is there some sort of temporary cert I can get from the gardai or do I just drive without a licence?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tw0nk wrote:
    Is there some sort of temporary cert I can get from the gardai or do I just drive without a licence?

When you pay for your new license, you'll get a receipt. I used that receipt for the time it took for the new license to arrive in the post (about a week) and I'd be confident that would be good enough for a Garda, although he / she could possibly ask you to produce your new license at a Garda station within a certain time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

why not photocopy it and send for the new one before the old one runs out, that way you're covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Beruthiel wrote:
    why not photocopy it and send for the new one before the old one runs out, that way you're covered

Would this be allowed? the guards surely wouldnt accept a photocopy of my drivers licence as proof would they? I might pop down to the guards after work and ask them, I wonder if there is a set procedure for this sort of thing...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tw0nk wrote:
    Would this be allowed? the guards surely wouldnt accept a photocopy of my drivers licence as proof would they?

well, you would still have two weeks to produce your new one no?
    I've done this in the past, though I've never been stopped during that time so I've had no problem.
    People change to new licences all the time, surely the guards factor this in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Receipt is good enough, told so in the tax office.

• Advertisement
Advertisement