Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Error then shut down.

• 19-04-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Was wondering if any of you have come across this error in windows xp pro service pk 2:

System32/ services.exe has stopped running unexpectedly

It then asks if you want to send an error report and starts a 1-minute countdown to shut down the computer!

This error happens intermittently, the system could be running for 24 hours or 24 minutes and it happens even if I haven’t opened or ran any programs. I've checked for ram issues and there dosen't appear to be any problem. Any ideas?

I’ve only just built the PC and the spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 1MB
    EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLI,nForce4 SLI,Socket-939 ,ATX,S-ATA2,GbLAN,Firewire,DDR, PCI-Ex16.
    Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 512MB
    NorthQ 4775-500BULK, ATX 500W, 120mm Fan, 12-17dBA, 4xSATA, SLI, 20/24pin
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-W162L, 16x, Dual, LightScribe
    POINT OF VIEW GeForce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 425Mhz/1GHz
    Gigabyte GZ-FSCA1-AN Aurora Black Alu case.

Any help would be great !:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Almost definetly a virus.....
    Check out the link in my sig....
    Download a good AV, make sure every patch is on the machine.....

Heres a good removal tool for the more common virus'
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    But it may not help with whatever you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

Avast my friend, i would nearly swear on it lol :)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

I'm not sure,the pc was only connected to the web once to down load the latest drivers updates etc through a very secure system at work. I also have all the latest norton antivirus and anti spyware packages.
    But I suppose you never know..... I'll try out all your suggestions.

thanks for the help

You may have been unlucky and got caught....
    A few more thing would be to run msconfig and see if there are any unusual programmes starting up or checking the event viewer for any error logs....
    Could also be an issue with a driver but I doubt it....
    Let us know how you get on.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Check the event log for the reason the service is shutting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

think i had this prob before, when the countdown timer starts, in run type shutdown-a to stop the timer, i think it is a virus

Advertisement