Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NIB nline banking.

Options
  • 19-04-2006 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

NIB updated their systems over the easter weekend, thank God. Gone are the green screen thin clients, gone is the 3 days for cash to appear in your account if lodged in a branch other than you home branch.

I logged onto the new internet banking this morning and it is sweet. The account information is presented in a cool way with actioned transactions and pend transactions in a different pane. Nice, you can see what standing orders and such are due in the future and when they are due.

There is now also a section for foreign transfers. You have 3 option here. A normal transfer, an express transfer or a draft. All can be done completly fromt he online service. If you choose draft they post it out to you. When doing a transfer you can choose to pay the entire fee, split the fee with the recipient or have the recipient pay the entire fee. Very nice.

I thought their previous online backing was reasonably good but this is very very nice. Anyone else used it?

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What sort of security do they have over foreign transfers - one time numbers/tokens? Would be somewhat nervous about an account like that.

(disclaimer - I sortof work for a competitor but a genuine question)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

MrPudding wrote:
    ...If you choose draft they post it out to you...

do you mean bank draft? like you can order one by specificing the recipients name and amount and they send you the actual bank draft by letterpost,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

vector wrote:
    do you mean bank draft? like you can order one by specificing the recipients name and amount and they send you the actual bank draft by letterpost,
    For the drafts, apparently yes. That was how it was explained to me before Easter by someone in the branch. When I logged on this morning I saw the optin to choose a draft as a method of making a transfer. I did not go trough with it but it seems pretty much like how I was told.

Hmmm, transactions have to be digitally signed. Part of the initial logon process creates a "file" on your computer. I presume this is a digital certificate. You cannot logon to the service unless this file is on the computer you are using. You have the option to back it up and you can copy it to something like a USB key. If you were using another computer you can them point to the file.

When you make a transfer there is a popup into which you have to enter your password. In order for someone to make a transfer using your account they would need your password and a copy of the file stored on your computer. Not as secure a Rabo but still pretty secure I think.

MrP

Just done a draft for me mum in the North. Sweet. Fill in the details and give the address you want it sent to, in this case directly to mu mother in the North, digitally sing it and job done.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have to say it is excellent. I was just heading into this forum to make a thread on it. I was fairly impressed previously by the existing service except for the lack of detail on NIB credit card transactions.

Anyway there are a couple of features that I think are the dogs bollox.

one is the ability to get an sms notification on account movements. Say for example your aTM card was done by Romanian ATM skinners - you can get an instant notifiation of atm withdrawals > €xx. Even If my chipped atm card doesn't get skimmed, it still is so useful for those times when I give the wife my card for the shopping only to discover that she has helped herself to a hairdo as well (she might as well be Romanian). i'll be able to scare her now by ringing her instantly to tell her that the card has been skimmed.

The other saviour is now you can do BACS transfers online. A godsend for paying those German Ebay sellers who think paypal would only be useful if it was called VolksPal. After numerous transfers and wasted time in trips to the branch to do the transfer, I still have to get the tellers to help me fill the forms.

The only thing now is that they still don't have my NIB credit card online but I hope it is because they will change it for one of those platinum cards with the low overdraft rate.

As for the security - was very puzzled trying to log on with the active card until I discovered that it actually is a physical smart card. Have to get me one of those too.

All in all looks like NIB are going to shake things up a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

any chance of a screenshot? id be well interested in seeing what other banks have to offer. im with aib myself and im loving it (the new codecard is a no no imo. ..) - im also looking forward to the ub redesign due this month which removes the need for java and what not - gonna bring it inline with aib from what i understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Greetings all.

All is not well with NIB Online banking, they are having all sorts of problems with the new system.

Main problems are as folllows:-

1. The whole system was down for the Easter weekend. This I can kinda understand, but we were not issued with details of the lenght of time the system would be unavailable.

2. Business accounts are not showing up. You now have to go to the bank and sign a completely new argreement, I have lost access to my business accounts since the weekend and may not be able to get back on till the end of next week all things going well..... NOT....

(I do all my account work online and my work does not alllow time to go to the bank each day, I do a lodgement once a week, but they are suggesting till everything is sorted out come in to the branch for each transaction that I need. This would cost my businness dearly)

3. Transaction history has vanished. the only details that will be available will be any account trans that happen from the 18th of April onwards.
    Bank's response to this, a hardcopy statement would be sent out for each account held, details transactions up to the the 18th, then from the 18th customers can view their trans online.

4. The staff in branch are unsure of the what the system can do.

My own bank manager could not tell the difference between the choice of two new security measures that you need to choose from in order to reactivate your business account.
    I was then left with no option but to sign the new agreement with no knowledge of what exactly I was signing, Very bad, especially if things go pear shaped.

Also, When I contacted my bank manager first thing Tuesday morning, and explain the difficulties that I was having, his response was " I have not heard and complaints from other customers, systems is work fine, there are no know issues with the system. perhaps you could log on to the online banking again. I am sure you will fine everything works great."

To-day Thursday, "Yes there are many issues with the new system that we are working on, I am on many conference calls, trying to resolve the many problems that customers are having. But you are the only customer that has a query with the transaction history,".

Then I made a call to the Help desk, they could not really help me all they could do was listen to my concerns. and agree that it is not good......?????

5. Overdraft facilities are unavailable for all customers for the next week or so while they sort out some tech hitches with in the system.

This new way of banking is purely for attracting new customers, they are doing nothing to help existing customers with any of the problems that they are currently dealing with.

I am sure that when all the dust settles the system should provide good banking options.
    But if this continues with the lack of customer support, it could cripple some small businesses.

All I need is some one from the banking to give me a straight answer.....

Fustratingly yours

Silverski

And too tired to check the spelling above.... Sorrry

With regards to it being down for the Easter weekend. They changed their *entire* computer system. Not just online banking. All the backend stuff as well as all the branch systems including the terminals used by staff in the branches.

Do not underestimate the size of this job, it was huge, really huge. I was aware that the systems were going to be down and also for how long.

When a system changes on this kind iof scale there is going to be some inconvienience. For personal banking I had to reregister. The hasle here was reduced somewhat as I knew it was coming, as I was informed by post and I received the new pin prior to the service launch.

As far as I am concerned Easter weekend was the perfect time to do it. It is a 4 day bank holiday weekend which is about as good as they get.

Transaction history is a tricky one. If they had of imported all transaction info for all customers the transition would probably take several weeks. I presume they had a few meeting about this and decided that this would be the better way to do this. Most customers for whom this info is important probably keep hardcopies anyway.

IMO they did a very good job. I appreciate that there may be some issues and TBH I would expect them on a job of this scale. From the sounds of it no data is lost, it simply exsists on a separate system and in the interests of getting services back up and running ASAP they chose not to import it.

My understanding is the new business service is quite different so it is not unreasonable that you have to sign a new agreement. The old one simply may not legally cover the new service.

I do not agree that this is simply a stunt to get new customers. The banks old systems were an embarassment. 3 days for cash to appear in your account if lodged in a branch other than your home branch? Come on. This is now a great service and will benefit customers old and new. I assume that this is the first opertunity they have had to carry out the upgrade since Danska Bank tok over.

What is, however, inexcusible is staff not knowing what is going on.

Greetings,

I do agree that the upgrade is huge, and the weekend was the perfect time to do it. But it would have helped if they had informed us that it would be down fo the whole weekend.
    I also recieved the PIN no. and logged on sucessfully and that the new system is so much better. But I had no warning that the business accounts would be separated. and that from now on you will have to use to log in separately to view your personal and business accounts.
    perhaps this will be a better way of working on line. and if the info is right the new business accounts will offer so much more.
    And having looked at the packages for the Personal accounts I would be willing to pay a set fee for the year to incur no charges and would appreciate a dedicated financial advisor.

I have asked on Wednesday in branch if someone would contact me asap to advise on which of the packages I should consider using, and as of tonite I have recieved no calls on this matter, is this good customer service. It is just adding to my fustrations.

But just note this...

The staff were giving access to the system to learn in the form of a free laptop to each of the staff, but due to keeping the new system hush hush they could not get on to the live system, I think, but not 100% sure, that they only could practice on the system last Wednesday 12th April ,so on opening if business on tuesday, it may seem as that had very little knowledge of the new system, therefore unable to advise customers.
    I was not advise until I complained about the business account requring a new agreement until I kicked up a fuss.

I also agree that new system will bring better banking, but all I need is feedback from the bank, someone to assure me that they are trying to help.

So in closing could NIB please sort out their customer service and please help the customers thru this migration change as trying to run your own business is difficult enough with out the added worry of access to your own accounts......

Regards
    Silverski

I don't think the sms notifications system is working yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I don't think the sms notifications system is working yet.

It is. I had a text message first thing this morning to let me know that my balance had dropped beneath €100 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

If you use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer there are problems. You have to apply for an Activcard - like a small pocket calculator. Apparently Danske bank think everyone uses Explorer. I have not had a cheque book in over two weeks and still no sign of one. I need one as I am building a house and need it to pay the builders. The branch I contact are clueless. They try and fob me off. NIB need to get their act together if they want to retain customers, never mind get new ones in through their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

have they actually rolled out these new personal banking packages to existing customers, or do you need to apply for one of them?

I asked to change last week and was told i needed an appointment as apparently they've done away with forms. It took me 3 phone and one personal calls to actually get one. I was told "no problem" but I'll let you know how I get on.

Only thing that pissed me off was that they want id and 3 payslips even though I've been with the bank over 2 years and have my salary paid in directly. To top it off, I have the worst ever payroll/HR dept at work and my payslip has "disappeared" for last month . . . getting a reprint is a real nightmare . . . you'd think I was asking them to make a personal effort on my behalf . . . unreal

Thats me screwed then, I don't get payslips anymore. Ah, you gotta love contracting.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

Didn't realise a thread about the new NIB system existed but for those of you with NIB accounts check them carefully cos NIB deducted over €200 from my account for no reason on the 18th of April..

I rang up to enquire why but the branch had no explanation, they blamed the new system. They refunded the full amount but I wasnt too impressed that they deducted it in the first place!!

branners69 wrote:
    Didn't realise a thread about the new NIB system existed but for those of you with NIB accounts check them carefully cos NIB deducted over €200 from my account for no reason on the 18th of April..

I rang up to enquire why but the branch had no explanation, they blamed the new system. They refunded the full amount but I wasnt too impressed that they deducted it in the first place!!

At least you know -I can't understand how I seem to have more money than I should have and can't find out what state the account was before the change.

On top of all that my credit card is not on the new system wich makes it difficult to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

pjproby wrote:
    have they actually rolled out these new personal banking packages to existing customers, or do you need to apply for one of them?
    I have a personal account with them and they automatically switched me to the new system without me asking. They sent me out a new PIN and some info about a month ago and it was no hassle to login. I agree with the OP, it is a big improvement on the previous system which was pretty good to start with.

You need to apply for the new Personal packages, It is like becoming a new customer.
    To ensure that they have all the correct data, expect at least an hour for a meeting with the bank to allow them to help you choose the right package and then input all the data that they require. A lot of questions to be asked. Be prepared.......

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

Bomany wrote:
    If you use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer there are problems. You have to apply for an Activcard - like a small pocket calculator. Apparently Danske bank think everyone uses Explorer. I have not had a cheque book in over two weeks and still no sign of one. I need one as I am building a house and need it to pay the builders. The branch I contact are clueless. They try and fob me off. NIB need to get their act together if they want to retain customers, never mind get new ones in through their doors.

To use NIB on line banking you need your IE extension tab for Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

I have always used NIB for my banking and i have to say their new system is deadly but beware of payments to outside payees {i.e. eircom, credit unions etc.} MAKE SURE you put the full account no. of the bill you are trying to pay on the statement reference field otherwise the money will be lost in cyber space

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's a great new system alright but this Activecard thing has me confused. Why couldn't they just use the same system they have for Internet Explorer?

I use Safari on the Apple Mac and I have to use the card to generate a unique code to access my account. What happens if I forget the card if I'm travelling? I'm pretty much screwed. It's good, but a major difference from the other system and I don't see why they couldn't have kept that.

And I don't think you can get sms texts with Activcard logon - or am I wrong? I don't see any option for it when I logon...

silverski

what kind of questions were asked-existing loans etc?

pjproby wrote:
    silverski

what kind of questions were asked-existing loans etc?

How much you spend on this that etc. Existing loans, accounts outside NIB. Basically to me they really were geared towards figuring out what kind of account you want, which is a bit pointless as most people will go either for the Easy package (no frills current account) or Easy Plus (current account with bells and whistles). The Freedom package is for first time account holders from what I can see and the Prestige account is for those who are loaded. They could simplify this a bit.

They've got rid of paper forms, hence the meeting. A lot of snags however, regarding delays on transactions lodged, duplicate standing orders etc. It must be very offputting for new customers.

shoegirl,

thanks for the reply.
    were you happy with the process?

Greetings pjproby,

Sorry that I took so long to reply.

I would say that I was not happy myself with the outcome.

I had the meeting nearly two weeks ago to set up two packages and they have still not been processed.
    Explanation.

Its a new system
    We are very busy
    The new system is very complex.

I gave them all the info they needed. But they would have had most of this to check on with the existing accounts that I have in the branch.

Its has been a very dissappointing experience.
    Also note for buisiness users, they (Dankse Bank) did not realise that there was a difference betwen Ltd Co. and sole trader, and therefore had not prepared the EBanking for customers who were sole traders. This left those business customers with out access to their online accounts.

Since the launch on the 18 of April. there has been no clear explanation to customers as to what exactly was the issue, just feeble apologies.

This has been a very stressful experience for me as a business and personal customer. Still not fully up and running with the "packages".

I would say that they need to get their act together and at least update their website it has not changed on the home page since the update on the 18th April. Although they do post exchange rates...
    But they should at least acknowledge the problems that their are having and let us have an update.
    Only option left at the moment is contacting the branch every 2/3 days to ask if they have resolved my queries.

Its very much a case of reactive rather than proactive.

I have only had one staff member of NIB that has been in anyway been proactive and I do commend them for their help. But apart from that I feel very let down.

Sorry for the long rant.

regards

Silverski

thanks for the reply-as a personal customer i feel quite reluctant to bare my soul to nib in order to sign up for one of the packages. time will tell.

pjproby wrote:
    shoegirl,

thanks for the reply.
    were you happy with the process?

My only hitch was that they decided to open a new account rather than convert my existing account. Also I am still waiting for the PIN to my laser card - but then again the post around here is pretty bad for long delays.

Mastercard received - 9.9% apr - very happy with that!
    Almost everything was done quickly. As it happens I am moving house in the next 2 months so would have been cancelling the SO/DDs on the old account anyway. My only worry now is getting paid into the right account - HR in my job is pretty ineffecient.

What I really liked was that they did link together all my accounts so that internet banking currently shows all 4 accounts (plus my personal loan). That will make things hugely easier as I can instantly transfer over during the transition.

Greetings Shoegirl,

They should have offered you the choice to keep your existing account numbers or to select new account no's for the packages.
    The choice was yours to make........

Regards

Silverski

• Advertisement
Advertisement