Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Direct Connection to the Internet??

• 19-04-2006 12:20pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In my house we have a wireless network of 4 computers; 1 of them connected to a router and has a direct connection to the internet, and the other 3 connected via wireless.

Now for some games that you can play multiplayer online, you can join an exsisting game, but you can't host your own game, because they claim to need a direct connection to the internet. And the only computer in the house directly connecting to the internet is the one that is connected via ethernet to the router

Now it isn't really an option to host games on the directly connected computer, and it would be a lot of hassle to swap all the arrangements round so one of the computers that was wireless is then directly connected

We have Eircom Broadband with a Netopia N3347WG router.

Everytime we try to host a game it just shows up on the LAN, not the internet. Is there any way to host a game on the internet from a wirelessly networked computer??

Thanks for the help in advance,
    Timbuk2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try putting the machine in the DMZ (think the Netopia calls em Pinholes :rolleyes:)

What's the game? Someone might be able to help more if they had the info...

All your machines are connecting through the router so by that measure none of them are directly connected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Em the main game that I would like to be able to host online is No One Lives Forever 1.

I can join a game no problem, but hosting it only makes it appear on the LAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Don’t put ur PC in a DMZ as it opens u up to everything not just hosting Game ports but any service that’s running and is TCP enabled is wide open. Yes its the easy option but ur loosing the firewall in the Netopia router.

There are a few options:

A. port forwarding it’s in the Netopia settings just open the game ports
    Netopia Router has samples but you may need advanced settings

B. If its a WAN game you want not an internet server for all Hamachi is the way to go and to be honest its worth looking at

C. Next problem is a fixed ip. Your ip moves as its lease expires so ur unlikely to be at the same ip a day later. DynDns.com allows you to get round this. (Not a problem for some games + not needed for Hamachi)

Couple of things to note:

Hamachi creates a virtual LAN on the internet (not an official term). It requires all machines not on ur local network to be running and connected to work.

Port forwarding has to be applied for a specific machine and port may cause u hassle if you host games on multiple machines.
    Also may be worth assigning a static ip address for ur game server (always handy)

PM me if i managed to confuse things or u need help

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I tried forwarding the ports necessary for No One Lives Forever by using this guide but it doesn't work, I still get the exact same result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

if your sure you did it right im stumped.

Could u post screenshots from routers port forward settings?

• Advertisement

Ok, here are the screenshots
    1 | 2 | 3

I'm not expert, so please bear with me:
    Is a Static NAT the same as a Static IP Address??

Should I have a Static NAT enabled??

Advertisement