Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT211(Computing Degree)

• 19-04-2006 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hello. iIf anyone has info on DT211 and the Hardware aspects of this course i would appreciate it. I think i might choose this course over DT288 because of the hardware elements. Would i be able to work with hardware and software even up until 4th year and even after when i graduate? THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

What hardware elements? 211 is very similar to 228 and 95% of it focuses on software. I done a microprocessors module in third year in which you get to play a little with PCB's but any other mention of hardware is purely theoretical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

thanks for the post. I read a page on gamedevelopers.ie that this course allows people to work mainly in software postions but also work with Hardware at a technician level. Its probably wrong however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

computer technology is the only class that focusses somewhat on hardware and which is taught to both 211 and 228 (i'm in 228 by the way).

this semester the hardware we touched on was...

+ input devices
    + output devices
    + storage devices
    + networks

we didn't really touch on anything practical like building a pc or troubleshooting in terms of hardware and the such.

looking on dit's website it seems this is covered in the subject list for first year in 211 though.

Click me

Programme Outline
    Programming,
    Algorithms and Data Structures,
    Computer Technology,
    Information Technology,
    Building a PC,
    Introduction to Networking,
    Computer Physics,
    Communications Studies and Personal Development,
    Quantitative Methods for Computing.

Thanks Cremo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

DT211 changed to an honours degree course, but it's still put under level 6/7, whats the craic with the points for it now though?

• Advertisement

about 250,ish. requirments are c3 ordinary maths,pass in english and two c3 honour subjects. could be even lower but that isnt why i have this course set on my mind. i like the fact there is decent hardware and networking covered:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Naikon wrote:
    about 250,ish. requirments are c3 ordinary maths,pass in english and two c3 honour subjects. could be even lower but that isnt why i have this course set on my mind. i like the fact there is decent hardware and networking covered:cool:

yeah, I have no problem getting the points, but I will struggle to get a c3 in ordinary maths :(

Dont get bogged down. Over 70% of candidates doing the ordinary paper achive at least a c3(read a chief examiners report). the attemp marks are handy too;)
    I think this years paper might be easier considering they have changed the marking scheme for q3 algerbra,also because of the higher than usuall failure rate(dont worry these people didnt even compleat all the specified questions)
    I do feel like the situation your in but my advice(and it worked very well for the junior) is to BURN your maths book and solely concentrate on the exam papers as some of stuff in the book wont be considered at all in the exam cause of repeating patterns as you know.
    I swear i i ever find out who designed the big black physics book,lets just say i wont be full of.........mercy.(joke tbh)

Advertisement