Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting question

Options
  • 19-04-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a site on shared-hosting (Windows) which is experiencing pretty bad up-time (e.g. down well over 3 hrs last month).
    I have been told by the company that due to the nature of Windows IIS resets need to be performed on a regular basis & also patches need to be updated. I was aware patches need to be kept up-to-date but in the past I've experienced maybe 5mins of downtime once-a-month for Windows.

Can anyone shed any light on why such regular 'IIS restarts' might be necessary? Has anyone experienced similar levels of downtime on Windows?

And yes, I know a Linux set-up is more stable but it's a corporate site & they're Microsoft men thru & thru...

I'm not going to name the hosting company but they're quite reputable. I just get the feeling they'd rather not have to provide Windows hosting...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Well, it sounds a little excessive, although I would personally put up with 3 hours downtime if it was during the night (and the hosting company had positive points which outweighed the negative.)

Try asking here? http://www.webhostingtalk.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

3 hours downtime sounds a bit excessive, especially if it happens all the time

IIS 6 allows you to reset the IIS instance for a single website without it affecting other websites.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

blacknight wrote:
    IIS 6 allows you to reset the IIS instance for a single website without it affecting other websites.............

Only if they are in their own application pools?

3 hours is not great - was it consecutive or sporadic? More importantly, once off or ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I've been told the site is now in it's own application pool. It hasn't made much difference - it was down a number of times during the Easter break & they came up with the IIS reset excuse (which they have used previously).

The problem has been ongoing for a few months now. The site (extranet actually) hasn't been fully launched yet. Reliability is important because we've added functionality which our users need reliable access to.

The downtime is the worse I've experienced, even for IIS...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Did the host specify an uptime 'guarantee' (Prior to paying them)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement