Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen Alfa GT, Enfield Co. Meath

Options
  • 19-04-2006 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hey guys, could any of you out there in cyberworld keep a lookout for a silver Alfa GT that was stolen from my boss's house last night, the reg plate is: 05 C 6055
    its a silver 1.9JTD, with red leather, 17" spoked alloys and all the extras. at this stage it could be anywhere, including across the water, so I'd appreciate it if you could keep a look out for me, as you can understand he is fairly upset about it

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

How did they get it away, did they steal his keys, or what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

no idea, he still has the keys in his pocket, they obviously got past the alarm and immobiliser......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

very sorry to hear about that.also just contact the guards thats the 1st thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, how is this possible for an 05 car? , thought keys were essential for newer cars ?(sorry for your bosses loss)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Longfield wrote:
    Hmm, how is this possible for an 05 car? , thought keys were essential for newer cars ?(sorry for your bosses loss)

I was under this impression too. Sorry too for the loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Longfield wrote:

Just a thought, but can a key for this car be cut from a chassis number?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If theres a security system available, theres someone who can break it. Do they not just take the keys to prevent having to damage the car. After all, your not dealing with joyriders here.

Stekelly wrote:
    If theres a security system available, theres someone who can break it. Do they not just take the keys to prevent having to damage the car. After all, your not dealing with joyriders here.

AFAIK, modern cars are so difficult to start without a key that it's really not worthwhile. I'd assume that the car was either towed, lifted, or started with a key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say that car was stolen to order tbh, it's probably even gone out of the country already. It sounds as if someone had a spare set of keys to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    AFAIK, modern cars are so difficult to start without a key that it's really not worthwhile. I'd assume that the car was either towed, lifted, or started with a key.

Agree. Read some statistic a few days ago that more than 90% of relatively new cars (<10 years old) stolen in the UK are taken by using the key. The overwhelming majority of these are house break-ins taking the key and a low number of car jackings and thefts of keys from handbags, etc.

Will keep an eye out for the GT anyway...

• Advertisement

There was a 06 Mondeo ST220 and a 05 Golf GTI taken from the same estate the same night, the latest theory we have is that the cars were jacked up onto rollers and rolled to a waiting transporter

siralfalot wrote:
    There was a 06 Mondeo ST220 and a 05 Golf GTI taken from the same estate the same night, the latest theory we have is that the cars were jacked up onto rollers and rolled to a waiting transporter

That would make sense. Are there any cameras in the area, or along the route the transporter may have taken?

yep every exit and entrance onto the M4 is covered by cameras, which are being checked

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Please keep us up to date on this, will be very interested to hear how they got the cars.

I guess the things you need to be sure of not having your car taken are:

Secure house
    Alarm
    Immobiliser
    Wheel Clamps
    Driveway Security Posts

That should be enough.. right? :|

but really for a gti or a car like that there should be some sort of tracker fitted for your own saftey.
    thats ur bosses own fault and also where was the car parked that it got taken from.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What kind of money would you be talking about for a tracking system?

Stephen wrote:
    What kind of money would you be talking about for a tracking system?

im not sure but i would think you can cheaper ones something like 500 euro.but even if its 1000.
    also i have heard once you have that insurance decreases.(i am open to correction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

spockety wrote:
    Please keep us up to date on this, will be very interested to hear how they got the cars.

Secure house
    Alarm
    Immobiliser
    Wheel Clamps
    Driveway Security Posts

you forgot a four legged friend ;) - a noisy dog is your only man as far as I'm concerned

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

spockety wrote:

Secure house
    Alarm
    Immobiliser
    Wheel Clamps
    Driveway Security Posts

I agree with you there. The trick is layers of security. The longer it's potentially going to take for the scum, the more likely they'll move on.

A good car alarm is a start. The real trick is in the fitting and placement of same. 90% of aftermarket car alarms are fitted in the same place behind the dash with the alarm siren under the bonnet. When they're that easy to find, they're that easy to bypass, regardless of the reputation of the alarm make itself. The scum know this. If you can find your alarm brain that easily, then it just helps the thief. Same with the immobiliser circuit. If the fitters insist on attaching it to the ignition circuit on the steering column, it can make the car easier to nick. Also with newer cars I've seen alarm fitters bypass the car's own immobiliser with the aftermarket immobiliser. Very stupid.

Anti hijack is another good idea(properly fitted of course). You don't have to pay silly money for the clifford version either. A quick google will find much cheaper options. Even if you go the clifford route, you don't need to fork out for the full Clifford alarm, as the anti hijack is a standalone item.

To help prevent car being towed away a mercury tilt switch sensor should be fitted. Helps stop the scum nicking your wheels too. IMHO the shock sensors with many alarms are next to useless.

IMHO covering your car with stickers proclaiming what alarm you have is equally thick. It just give the Thieves extra knowledge. A flashing LED(a long way from the alarm) is good enough.

Fitting your own hidden fuel/ignition cut off switch is a simple and effective security layer too. Properly hidden too. Not on the dash FFS. I know a guy who fitted one beautifully and then left the switch so easy to find his car got nicked.

Locking bonnet pins are a good one. As is a snap off steering wheel. Good locking wheel nuts another. A tracker is worth it if your car is worth a few quid.

Allied to good house security, if a car was properly fitted with all of the above the chances of it getting stolen would be much much much lower than any similar car. Simply saying that old chestnut "ah sure, if they want it, they'll steal it" is the reason so many cars are so easily stolen. If you think that way, why even bother with the alarm in the first place? No system is foolproof, but you want to make the scum car thief the fool, not the owner.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Personally lads if my pride and joy got robbed I would never want to see it again, it would be like someones wife being with another man. I would simply hope it's either never found or if it was that it was destroyed so I could get the insurance money and start fresh.

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Personally lads if my pride and joy got robbed I would never want to see it again, it would be like someones wife being with another man. I would simply hope it's either never found or if it was that it was destroyed so I could get the insurance money and start fresh.

Love the analogy!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

siralfalot wrote:

Gone in 60 Seconds........Irish Stlye

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

Style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

They're using transporters now since those alfas are fierce hard started ;)

Tipsy, are you emotionally attached to other inanimate objects as well or is it just the car ? would you prefer if a hoover, corkscrew or office stapler were destroyed upon return had some fecker swiped them on ya :eek:

528i wrote:
    Tipsy, are you emotionally attached to other inanimate objects as well or is it just the car ? would you prefer if a hoover, corkscrew or office stapler were destroyed upon return had some fecker swiped them on ya :eek:

Just the motor :D

Advertisement