Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to Eircom Net

• 19-04-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Said id give Eircom a go at home as we've used them happily enough for years in work. Ordered Home Broadband Plus two weeks ago online and router arrived good friday morning, synced up straght away but only showed the following

Speed
    1024/128 (kbps)

Line Attenuation
    48/31 dB

Getting avg downloads of 20-30 kbps, eircom speedtest site fastest is 77.6kbps and should be showing 2048 speed anyway with that package so rang them today.

First bloke answers very curtly, asks problem, goes through usual have you lights on the modem etc, i told him worked in tech support and answerd all questions quickly but politely and followd his steps to the letter. He cut me off several times and gave an extreme "I dont give a crap" attitude. Then on speedtest site it only showd 77.6 which he said was "fine" and blamed spyware or file sharing software and told me to drop pc into computer shop. I answerd saying it was a totally clean pc with no problems or other software. Then he said have you got AV, I said yes, He said when was it last updated, I said this morning and then he said nothing for about a 5 seconds and cut me off. :mad:

On hold now with another, much nicer support bloke but jesus the attitude of the first one stank! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

what site did you use for the speed testing. try www.irishisptest.com) if you havnt tried already. it normally gives a quite accurate test. i have eircom BB a the same package you have and gets speeds in the range of 100 - 120 kB when i test with irishisp test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

i have now upgraded to the home plus package; initially i got that speed after the upgrade,it turned out that it was a faulty filter and after it was replaced it connect at 2048, with a download speed of in excess of 220 bps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

pclancy wrote:
    Said id give Eircom a go at home as we've used them happily enough for years in work. Ordered Home Broadband Plus two weeks ago online and router arrived good friday morning, synced up straght away but only showed the following

Speed
    1024/128 (kbps)

Line Attenuation
    48/31 dB

Getting avg downloads of 20-30 kbps, eircom speedtest site fastest is 77.6kbps and should be showing 2048 speed anyway with that package so rang them today.

First bloke answers very curtly, asks problem, goes through usual have you lights on the modem etc, i told him worked in tech support and answerd all questions quickly but politely and followd his steps to the letter. He cut me off several times and gave an extreme "I dont give a crap" attitude. Then on speedtest site it only showd 77.6 which he said was "fine" and blamed spyware or file sharing software and told me to drop pc into computer shop. I answerd saying it was a totally clean pc with no problems or other software. Then he said have you got AV, I said yes, He said when was it last updated, I said this morning and then he said nothing for about a 5 seconds and cut me off. :mad:

On hold now with another, much nicer support bloke but jesus the attitude of the first one stank! :(

Did it take 2 weeks before you recived your modem and they had your account set up ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

This is what i sent them today to the support email address. Anyone know where I can send a snail letter as well? Want to get that ignorant **** in trouble for his attitude.

To Whom It May Concern,

I wish to make a formal complaint against one of your staff who I feel had an incredibly bad attitude and cut me off during a phone conversation this week. I have been working in tech support myself for nearly ten years and have never come across an attitude like his which I feel damages your image greatly.

On wednesday of this week I telephoned your department to see why I had ordered the Plus package but was only showing a connection speed of 1024 instead of the required 2048. I got through to Kenneth who asked for my problem. I told him that I was an it engineer and that my connection speed was only showing 1024 and that it was downloading around 20/30Kbs which is very poor for a 2mb connection. He asked me the phone number and said yes your package is fine. He then said go to the eircom speedtest site which i did and tried to perform a speed test. For some reason the speedtest opened in a new window which I did not see for a second. When I said "nothing happened, one sec..." and tried to see where the results had appeared he started saying your pc must have a virus or some kind of problem and there is nothing we can do. This was after about 2 minutes of the phone call and only the two steps mentioned above. I said that i knew the pc was fine being an it engineer and it being 4 days old with no software other then AVG and windows installed yet. He repeated saying there must be something wrong with the PC, have you got file sharing or anything else open? I repeated my point that no it had nothing installed. At this stage I had found the speedtest results and said they were around 34kbs which is still bad and he said no thats fine really. I asked for an explanation as to how such a poor speed was okay. The he said have you got anti-virus software to which i replied yes. Then he said when was it last updated, to which i replied this morning. The quite deliberatly (I was on a landline as was he with no chance of technical problem that i would beleive) he cut me off without any further words. His attitude from start to finish was curt, couldnt care less and igorant and several times he cut me off mid sentance or raised his voice above mine, both incredibly rude ways to talk to a client and I would severly discipline any member of staff in my company for such an action.

I phoned back immediatly and was met with stephan. He was friendly, interested and very helpfull. We did the speedtest which he agreed was bad. He found the problem within 5 minutes which appeared simply to be small error on your side where I was not setup for 2mb. He promised to phone me back when the problem had been sorted. My connection was reset a few hours later and was working fine with speedtest results of around 170kbs. Stephan called me back to tell me everything was sorted and was again very professional and polite, the complete opposite to kenneth.

I would like an explanation as to how you could let someone in your call centre work with such a bad attitude and an aplogy from the person concerned. If this is not possible I would at least like to know how you intend to rectify the problem so other customers do not have to experiance that kind of treatment. There is no excuse for hanging up on people and in 2006 its not a good explanation to say "you were cut off", it doesnt happen. I make 20-50 calls a day and it never happens to me.

Im sorry for the large amount of text but I hope to hear from you soon on this matter.

Yours Sincerely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

your problem is sorted - move on with your life! your email/letter smacks of vengence - not sure why you are spending so much time on trying to get someone into trouble with their bosses - move on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Of course "cut offs" happen in call centers, lines drop all the time.

Its a call center, they get paid €10 an hour to take 40\50 calls a day 90% of people who think they know about computers but don't have a clue or people who hate Eircom so they just abuse them. Nothing will happen to him because everybody has there bad days when working in a call center, and Team Leads\Managers know this and know the abuse they take. Just let the issue rest, if you did IT support yourself over phones as you say you do yoo would understand what a pain in the ar** job it is.

I know what a pain in the ass it is but I would never speak to anyone like the way he did to me. Fair enough its vengence but I really dont care, I'd like to make sure his team leaders know what he's like so others dont get my service. Im fine my problems fixed yes but people like that shouldnt be working in tech support if thats their attitude. Users can be a pain in the ass but thats life and thats the job. I would never treat someone looking for my help like that.

Lines dropping? I seriously doubt it. Never had that problem except obviously sometimes on a mobile. Sometimes calls get lost or misdirected when you get put on hold. But I refuse to believe it was just a drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Of course "cut offs" happen in call centers, lines drop all the time.

Its a call center, they get paid €10 an hour to take 40\50 calls a day 90% of people who think they know about computers but don't have a clue or people who hate Eircom so they just abuse them. Nothing will happen to him because everybody has there bad days when working in a call center, and Team Leads\Managers know this and know the abuse they take. Just let the issue rest, if you did IT support yourself over phones as you say you do yoo would understand what a pain in the ar** job it is.

Getting paid €10 an hour in a pain in the arse job is no justification for being rude and ignorant. And as for lines drops all the time in call centers, what was stopping the guy from just calling pclancy back ? Some peoples attitudes just make them unsuitable for dealing with the public. Granted, as The Insider says, the guy could just be having a bad day, but during that day he is going to be rude and unhelpful to 40/50 people ? Surely no Team Leads\Managers could tolerate that !

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Getting paid €10 an hour in a pain in the arse job is no justification for being rude and ignorant. And as for lines drops all the time in call centers, what was stopping the guy from just calling pclancy back ? Some peoples attitudes just make them unsuitable for dealing with the public. Granted, as The Insider says, the guy could just be having a bad day, but during that day he is going to be rude and unhelpful to 40/50 people ? Surely no Team Leads\Managers could tolerate that !

Agreed.

Eircom.nets call centre isnt outsourced or a SITEL type job. They're paid more then that. Not the point how much they're paid though. Attitude stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Lines dropping? I seriously doubt it. Never had that problem except obviously sometimes on a mobile. Sometimes calls get lost or misdirected when you get put on hold. But I refuse to believe it was just a drop.
    There is a difference between a standard phone line and a call center which can be routing 4/5/6 lines into over 200/300 meridian phones through an aspect call system. Lines drop all the time.
    Duiske_Lad wrote:
    And as for lines drops all the time in call centers, what was stopping the guy from just calling pclancy back ?

If you ever worked in a call center doing tech support you would know the rule is you are not allowed do call backs if a call drops.
    Eircom.nets call centre isnt outsourced or a SITEL type job. They're paid more then that.

Most of the staff are contracters on 10 euro on hour, actually I think its down to 9.50 now, there full time staff would start on 17,500. Thats a fact.

• Advertisement

Okay fair enuf, I dont believe lines drop that much but Ive never worked directly in call centres, Ive only done field service in them for IT and printer stuff and the words call drop never came up in hundreds of hours of me sitting there bored waiting for windows to reinstall or fixing a laserjet.

Call drop aside, My point is I dont give a crap what people are paid theres no need to give attitude to people especially in tech support, he was a pure ignorant and It was like he fulfilled all his "required questions" and cut me off. The other bloke repeated the first guys tasks pretty much exactly but in a perfect fashion. Then took a little interest in it and had it sorted quickly.

I know people that work as CSRs for O2, Vodafone, Microsoft, Banks and Outsource companies and if you give that kind of attitude you're not right for the job and you move on. The ones that stay, do well and get out of the base wages do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

Hey I have a quick question bout this and didnt want to start a whole new thread.
    I'm on the home starter package (I think, its about 2mb download and 256kb up) just wondering if the upload limit has changed since the upgrade, it used to be a 1gb upload limit and just wondering if its safe to go over this now?!

According to the site you should be getting 10Gb if your on home starter but your speeds are the same as 2mb so maybe you're on 20Gb?

You can enter your account details on this page under DSL stats to see what package you're on.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/

Going back to my issue my speeds now gone down to 1632/256 Kbps and line attenuation gone up to 51/31dB. :( Must ring again :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Julez wrote:
    Hey I have a quick question bout this and didnt want to start a whole new thread.
    I'm on the home starter package (I think, its about 2mb download and 256kb up) just wondering if the upload limit has changed since the upgrade, it used to be a 1gb upload limit and just wondering if its safe to go over this now?!
    The 1gb upload limit is still on the home starter (1mb) package.
    The home plus (2mb) package and the home professional (3mb) package have unlimited upload.
    If your speed is now 2mb/256k you're on home plus as they changed the package names around after the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

Must be on home plus then, thanks for your response!

Advertisement