Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Google Earth images of Limerick City

Options
  • 19-04-2006 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

If you have google earth installed have a look at the new images of Limerick. Was looking at it earlier and while the images are an improvement resoloution wise, it is a great pity that some areas are obscured by cloud.

Also they have added placenames for smaller towns

Galway and Carlow got the same resoloution images also. some backwater on the Donegal border with NI got excelent resoloution images though. It is annoying that the arsehole of nowhere get high res images on google earth while the cities are neglected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

The images of Carlow are far better then that of Limerick, you can zoom into 1000 feet with good resoloution in Carlow, while Limerick has grainy resoloution at 4000 feet and the clouds are pretty annoying, when do you think they will update this again?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

thats a good bit better. still not the quality that the american cities get. you can see the face of herself at the staue of liberty and you can see in the windows of cabs in times square.

incidentally: to those who've played with google earth a bit. what have been your favorite locations or what has impressed you.

the pyramids & the sphinx at giza are amazing quality shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Tbh the quality of the Limerick pics are bad to say the least.

The hollywood sign is the only landmark I looked up, must check out the sphinx and pyramids.

Oh and also area 51, no E.T's though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Have to say I'm not very impressed with Limerick definition .... :(

try this for a view of Concorde (2) at guess where? .... :confused:
    zoom down to about 400 feet and you can almost count the bags going onboard ... :p

51°27'39.89"N 0°26'41.10"W

or how about this for a high level airport in Newyork ? ..... :eek:
    (no. 77 Water street I think) .... zoom down to 300 feet ....

40°42'15.46"N 74°00'29.63W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If you think New York is detailed, have a look at the google campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

the limerick picture was taken ages ago
    the childers road shopping centre was still being built
    and also they have hospital right beside knocklong when its north of it other than that they did a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

hobie thanks for the addresses for the 2 plane shots. they're great pics. has anyone ever wondered about terrorists using google earth to plan out an attack. washington dc is so well laid out from the white house to capitol hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

jay_haych wrote:
    hobie thanks for the addresses for the 2 plane shots. they're great pics. has anyone ever wondered about terrorists using google earth to plan out an attack. washington dc is so well laid out from the white house to capitol hill

.... please god tell me u are joking :rolleyes:

I see no fighter aircraft .... ;)

32°10'01.92"N 110°51'21.56"W

• Advertisement

jay_haych wrote:

Actually it has been mentioned by indian politicans, worried about extremists in cashmir using it.

hobie wrote:
    I see no fighter aircraft .... ;)

32°10'01.92"N 110°51'21.56"W

Very cool hobie, keep em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

This is why there should be a Google Earth Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ahh was waiting and waiting for Limerick to go hi-res but
    they did a bothched job it it.

I loved loooking at that Maxim Cover of the hottie from Desperate Housewives
    on the cover that could be seen from google earth south of the Las Vegas.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I was browsing through the Digitalglobe archive and found the image that Google Earth have used. It was taken on May 26th 2004. There's a link here (hope this works).

I also found that Digitalglobe have brand new images only taken a few weeks ago on April 5th, hopefully Google Earth get to use these soon as they seem like they might be better, with 0% cloud cover. Link here.

Google views are produced from millions of photos all put together to produce a seemless image .... but what happens when something is moving fast and in effect shows up in a series of side by side photos? ....:confused: well, ..... you may see the same object repeating untill it slows down and is lost from further photo frames ... :rolleyes:

here is an example ... an aircraft is landing on the runway at the top of this image ..... but it shows up in 3 different frames making it look like there are 3 seperate aircraft all landing, one after another, on the same runway .... :eek:

but it really is the same aircraft! .... magic ... :p

51°28'29.38"N 0°28'34.23" W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭TheGreatest

wow!! Zoom down to 300 feet

51°34'22.34" N 0°42'18.47E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Go to Everest and rotate until you are on "ground level". You can rotate to see a 3-d view.

wow!! Zoom down to 300 feet

51°34'22.34" N 0°42'18.47E

It's an Avro Vulcan V Bomber ..... none of them airworthy today but I think there may be a plan to restore one of them (xh558) to flying condition if enough money becomes available ....

http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/xh558.html

• Advertisement

radioman wrote:
    I was browsing through the Digitalglobe archive and found the
    I also found that Digitalglobe have brand new images only taken a few weeks ago on April 5th, hopefully Google Earth get to use these soon as they seem like they might be better, with 0% cloud cover. Link here.

Can only find 2-3 really rubbish pics taken from a high alt.
    Are there hi-res ones available for Free ? or are they
    something you need to ay/order the Digital Gloobe site is not
    very browser friendly. Think it may be geared towards Internet explorer
    over other browsers.

Would love some Hi res pics of Limerick.

The county consil had a nice PDF file a while back showing like a town plan of limerick.
    It was fantastic as it showed the suburben areas also and was huge. If it had been more
    up to date with would have shown my house. (it showed individual buildings)
    Was lucky as in work we printed out poster size.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jay_haych wrote:

Anyone for a map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

bullets.ie wrote:
    Can only find 2-3 really rubbish pics taken from a high alt.
    Are there hi-res ones available for Free ? or are they
    something you need to ay/order the Digital Gloobe site is not
    very browser friendly. Think it may be geared towards Internet explorer
    over other browsers.

~B

Those images I linked to are sample images which if ordered would be very high resolution. Digitalglobe only deal with professionals afaik, and would be very expensive to order an image.

here's one in memory of an old battle many years ago .....

21°21'53.36"N 157°57'00.10"W

I was onboard the floating memorial a few years ago ....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Limerick Galway and parts of Mayo (yay) now available in high resolution. If you have the grainy images you need to clear your cache and memory. You should be able to make out cars.

thanks man
    anyone else notice that the pic is ancient

transylman wrote:
    Limerick Galway and parts of Mayo (yay) now available in high resolution. If you have the grainy images you need to clear your cache and memory. You should be able to make out cars.

Cool that did the business, Much Better now. Pic is about 6 months old ??
    Was looking at a building site that had no houses a few months back and
    now is a new small estate.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

The pic's of limerick are more than a few months old , atleast a year old I reckon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

better then nothing :)

• Advertisement

i'd say over 2yrs easy
    B&Q and the rest of cityeast was just grass
    childers road retail park was just rubble and the riverpoint had only just started
    i'd say all the irish pics were taken at the same time because cork airport was at the stage it was 2yrs ago and the kinsale roundabout was the same

Advertisement