Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History - Predictions

Options
  • 19-04-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

This year I'd be very surprised if the Easter Rising 1916 didnt come up in a question on its own - due to this year being the 90th anniversarie.

Also, with this year being the first year of the new syllabus I think either Germany or Italy will come up in a question on its own - as they have both been heavilly emphasided in this new syllabus.

Anyone else have any other predictions?

Id say if you study Easter 1916 really well and all aspects of Germany and Italy inside out you could do pretty good in this.

Also, because this is the first year does anyone think it may be marked a bit easier?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

It'll only be marked easier if everyone does badly. They'll try to stick to the normal 10% A's.

I have no idea what they will ask. I hope Russia somwhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

there was nothing on Russia on our mocks paper, i was so annoyed..

My guess (completely random of course) is the '85/'86 elections case study for the documents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

i not do leaving cert in last year in college but advise ya, if you do a 1916 question, to look over the important dates that caused the rising.
    eg 1912 Ulster Covenant and establishment of uvf and the irish volunteers (figure out consequences)

home rule 1912( this was on the statues, but suspened, pearse said previously "if they trick us again, i my self will led a revolution" and oh course "ireland unfree shall never b peace" and "Britain's struggle is irelands advantage).

its important to know this. you may be asked a question like why was there a rising? eg milliants impatiant with constitutional side not getting independence, note home rule was just to have a parliament in dublin, the seperatists wanted total freedom.

maybe a question like why did it fail? eg split in volunteers majority heard redmond's call to fight in WWII, Casement ship found, the leaders bar Clarke (irb), Connolly (british army at 15) and MacDermotta only ones with millitary experience.

note citizens reaction to it? the insurgents did it for ireland. (how history repeats itself eg troubles in north and our reactions to it (by the way its an obersavation not a statement that it right or wrong, observation is what historians do) note why irish were angered. some historians say dublin was doing well eomonically especially during the war1. Benjamen Disrelli of conservatives once said dublin (and not belfast) was the second city of the empire. many irish men fought in wars like boer and ww1 with britain for employment and adventure. but note other historians see a different view, dublin had suvere poverty workers of dublin went on strike in 1913 (irish parliamentary party did nothing, sinn fein picked that up in 1918 that why the ordinary working class followed them) note how well 6 co of north east ulster were doing better economically (one reason for not wanting home rule and of course afraid of losing their influence) read the text of the ulster covenant on www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenant/index.html. if that fails just go to www.proni.gov.uk and find it there.

you maybe asked whether it was or was not a failure? military yes but politically no! it revived nationlist belief in an independent ireland. this happened by condeming an attempt of conscription in 1918, sinn fein becoming the major irish party, establishment of dail in defiance of the empire and of ourse war of independence.

dont fall into the trap of saying it was a sinn fein war it wasnt. griffith had nothing to do with it. sinn fein stood for different things in 1905 than 1918.
    this will also be helpfull in questions on the treaty and civil war ie ireland had fought for a united republic not a 26 county dominion of the empire, subguated by britsh sybols like crown as head of state etc

study the text of the proclamation, see what was promised eg equality for all etc, try to give a balanced answer, dont get too caught up with the whole up da you know what. understand why britain wanted to keep ireland in check. when you end questions like that evaluate your information with dates in future.

eg britains fear that ireland would destroy empire. well in 1931/1932 the statute of westminster gave ireland "the goblet of freedom" this prevented laws passed in westminster being automatically enacted in the dominion states unless they consented, help ireland make it own laws. significance, is dev repealled a majority of what was agreed in treaty and constitution of 1922 and later offically leave empire in 1948. did this destroy empire? no australia, canadia and new zealand still in coomon wealth. in 1999 australia had a chance to leave but stayed.

these are only a few pointers just helpful if you maybe irrelavent for questiones but at least by studying this and using ur mind you well answer two questions very strongly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mordecai

no i'd say the labour movement will come up and bismarck (i love bismarck) and USSR and Anglo irish relations 1932-45.

the lockout was on the sample paper from the dept. wasnt it?

i think they'll go for soemthign different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mordecai

well the labour movement has been on everything the dept. has given out, even the in-service stuff, so i think they are dropping a hint... unless they are trying to trick us? would they do that to us?

would they do that to us??
    yeah i'd say so!

when theres only 3 case studies, i wouldnt have a problem if they put either of the others up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I dont think 1916 will be asked as the papers are set in October, which was 2005, celebrations were this year.

This course is aimed at the social and cultural aspects, so most likely we will have a more variety on questions not just political ones. Wouldnt say no to the Treaty or show trials.. yeah..

yeah roll on the red terror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

id love for dat one too cum up!! ahh i hate d 1885 elections so long!here did anyone study Micahel Davit?cuz we didnt! emm Ill tel u what study the ecconomic questions! are teacher said they are the ones to get marks from!that and d case studies! if ur doin WW2 jus cover hitler nd a bit on stalin! look im leakin all my excellent institute advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hope springs

Apparently the lockout is still tipped to come up. that's what i've been hearing from someone who knows the guy who set the paper. nothing confirmed though.

hope it's the elections though

d4gurl wrote:
    if ur doin WW2 jus cover hitler nd a bit on stalin! look im leakin all my excellent institute advice!

why would you cover "a bit on stalin"???

would it not make more sense to learn everythign on Russia & Stalin.. cos well, theres one like, 3 things that could come up, (Show Trials, Economy, Red Terror and maybe 1 other thing i cant quite remeber..) so you may as well have Russia covered completely if you're gonna bother with it at all no? :confused:

thats my way of thinking anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Well thats what I meant by a bit of stalin :case study and ecconomy! I doubt his rise to power will be asked!) Also There is not a lot on the 1916 risisng in the new course I mean!wel actually are teacher left out quite a bit now im worried!ahhhhh!! We did Bismark and all that malarky - I think it would of been easier to do American history but no we had to stuf like the eastern question and colonial rivalry!!there is so many dates!Bismark better come up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

IS it still the course that starts around 1870 and finishes up about 1966?

I remember there was talk of a completely new course coming in when I was doing the leaving, about 5 or 6 years ago. Feckin, Everybody thought John redmond was going to come up. He had never appeared on a paper before that, yet everybody thought he was going to appear that year. He appeared on my mock but low & behold, no sign of him on the real thing. Would have got an A in it if it wasnt for that. Has he ever come up since?

yeah well our year is the first year of the new course, and it is a fair bit different really.

i dont do up to '66 tho, only up to 1945.

theres options and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

theres options and stuff

What kind of options?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Was I the only one to open the sample papers with confidence and then close them scared ****less?

I basically had to cover the course in one year,and now looking at the essay questions I can honestly see myself opening my paper on exam day and not being able to do anything.Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought the essay questions insanely retarted.

At least the case study and research project will be/were easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

well i heard the gaa is coming up cos its the easiest case study and they'll want to make the first exam relatively handy..
    also, does it say anywhere that they have to ask a case study in each section?????
    cos thesample paper from the dept. has one in each section, but the ones made by the company have few if any case studies.............*PRESSESPANICBUTTON*

Our teacher said at the inservice that the person said that the Dept are staying close to the Sample Paper they released...

What was on the sample paper from the dept with relation to the topics 2 and 3 from both modern Europe and Ireland?

• Advertisement

Strike and Lockout were the documents..

And the reasons for the victory of Sinn Féil in 1918, those are the 2 I remember.

Attempt one of the following questions:
    1. What were the factors that contributed to the success of Sinn Féin in the 1918
    general election? (100)
    2. How well did Ireland, North and South, cope with the economic problems of the
    inter-war period? (100)
    3. How did de Valera’s pursuit of sovereignty, 1932 – 1945, affect Anglo-Irish
    relations? (100)
    4. To what extent did the Eucharistic Congress (Dublin, 1932) and/or Belfast’s
    experience during World War II promote a sense of collective identity? (100)

Europe and the wider world: Topic 2
    Nation states and international tensions, 1871 - 1920
    1. Do you consider that caution was the keynote of Bismarck’s foreign policy?
    Explain your answer. (100)
    2. How important was the contribution of Karl Benz to the invention and early
    history of the motor car? (100)
    3. To what extent was anti-Semitism a threat to the political well-being of France
    and/or Russia during the period, 1871 – 1914? (100)
    4. As World War I progressed, why did it prove so difficult for either side to make a
    decisive breakthrough? (100)

Europe and the wider world: Topic 3

Dictatorship and democracy in Europe, 1920 - 1945

1. To what extent did Germany’s social and economic problems lead to the rise of
    Hitler and the Nazis? (100)
    2. How successful were Stalin in Russia and/or Mussolini in Italy in using the
    personality cult as an instrument of propaganda? (100)
    3. How did the Jarrow March (October 1936) draw attention to the social and
    economic problems in Great Britain at that time? (100)
    4. What was the impact of World War II on the “home front” in Great Britain, 1939
    –1945? (100)

its on examinations.ie if theres more you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

Study each and every case study. Inside out. You'll be sorted then. Esp for the USA section, go for the Montgomery Bus Boycott.. Rosa Parks died last October around when the papers were set.

Cheers Rockette. ;)

Looks a helluva lot easier.

no bother :)

Back to predictions then...

Besides Bismarck on topic 2 and Easter 1916 what does everyone else think will come up,particurly on topic 3 Ireland and Europe.

my teacher is tipping economy questions, since they got rid of economic history as a subject, she thinks they'll have to cater for those people interested in that..

im really hoping Cumann na nGaedhael's economic policies come up, i know them pretty good, and even Fianna Fáil's afterwards aswell

easy to remember what to write..
    -intro -> C na G agriculture --> industry --> social --> FF in power
    -> Agriculture --> industry --> social --> conclusion

or Russia economy from 1871 (? is that the year) up to 1914 wouldnt be the worst..

i would love an essay on Nazi Propaganda for Dictatoship adn democracy, taking into consideration the case study of the Nuremberg rallies, which is a possibility right? (please.. please reassure me ;) )

or Red Terror & Show Trials case study would make me very happy.. i didnt learn all those Russian names for nothing... :D

Yeah my teacher was basically emphasising the same stuff(although we usually did 5 pargraphs in between a intro and conclusion).Economic stuff in relation to CnaG and particurly Russia.

Also put a lot of time into propaganda(Mussolini/Stalin cult of personality,Leni Riefhenstahl,Goebbels,Nazi Propaganda itself),Wilhelms Naval Policy and the South/North during the War.

Basically I'm sorted on Topic 2 Europe and the case studies which are beyond easy.Research topic was easy as well.Now the other two topics...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

im doing dictatorship and democracy as a topic. im not sure if anyone else has the edco book for this topic but in the jarrow march case study, which may come up, they use a romance novel by catherine cookson as filler for the chapter! because she was from jarrow. idiots at edco.

i think it will be a fair paper with a case study in each topic but my worry is those weird questions they ask like about "collective identity" and "social impact"

• Advertisement

theres laods of info on Jarrow in that chapter!
    200 fit men... marching army style.. Ellen Wilkinson.. oh yeah, i know that case study!
    hehe.. yeah it is kinda lacking though..

pity it wont be asked on its own... probably with social problems of Britain at the time.. should maybe learn those..

Advertisement