Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Touring Bike?

Options
  • 19-04-2006 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning a 1200+ mile tour around Ireland this summer and would like to buy a touring bike. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have in terms of manufacturers, specifications, prices, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Some of the most important things are: comfortable saddle (Brooks are good), handlebars with several positions (drop bars or bar ends) and solid racks. You'd be well advised to ride the bike for a few months before heading off on a long distance journey so that everything is adjusted to your liking.

A few recommendations:
    Dawes Galaxy or Super-Galaxy
    Cannondale T800 (I used to own one of these and it was very comfortable over long distances) or T2000.
    I've also used an old rigid mountainbike (Specialized Hardrock) for touring - it handled pretty well with panniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

Check out http://www.downtheroad.org if you haven't already, cool site with lots of info and advice.

Make sure you have good tough tyres and wheels, what with the state of Irish roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I'm looking at possibly getting a Giant OCR 400 -- does anyone have any experience or opinions on this bike?

It seems to be going for about €450 -- anyone know if this is a decent price and if there would be a better bike to consider in this price bracket?

Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Can you mount a carrier on a Giant OCR? I suspect it wouldn't ride too well with a load of luggage. Most road bikes have minimal tyre clearance so mudguards and wider tyres probably won't fit. It might be OK if you're planning on travelling fast with minimal weight.

In that price range I'd probably go for the mountainbike option or maybe a Dawes Horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iób

A recumbent. Comfortable, better views and great in a headwind.

a good bit more expensive than an upright though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement