Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temperature & Golf

Options
  • 19-04-2006 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

My temperature gauge in our Golf isn't working. Is registering nothing.

Once on a trip today it worked briefly, so I'm thinking something loose rather than broken.

Any advice on what to look at under the hood?

Cheers

Redman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The thermostat is bust, you probably feel that the car is slightly cooler than normal as well.

Get the thermostat replaced and should be flying,

Check that it hasnt come loose as well.

Not sure where its located though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If the car is running too cold (eg heater takes ages to warm up) then it's likely the thermostat.

But seeing as the gauge is seen to work briefly it sounds more like an electrical problem eg dodgy wire or gauge sensor. Often its just a matter of swapping in a new sensor. Shouldn't be an expensive part or big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be the temperature sender - they have a habit of going faulty on VWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

The heater seems to warm up fine. So by all your feedback I take it's probably the sensor or loose wiring.

Is there any point in looking in the engine for a loose connector and if so where to look ?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

redman wrote:
    The heater seems to warm up fine. So by all your feedback I take it's probably the sensor or loose wiring.

Is there any point in looking in the engine for a loose connector and if so where to look ?

Dont know if this pic can help or even if its the right sensor

Untitled-1.gif

18Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor -
    For Motronic Engine Control Module With Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge sensor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've a Seat Leon and has the exact same problem. Occasionally, it does work momentarily, then just drops again.

I have been told by the Seat garage that it's a faulty sensor, and that the fault is pretty common on VAG cars. Seat will fix it for me shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

apeking wrote:
    Dont know if this pic can help or even if its the right sensor

Is it a Golf VR6? If not, that's the wrong engine.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Anan1 wrote:
    Is it a Golf VR6? If not, that's the wrong engine.;)

It could be a lawnmower for what i know! I just have a ebook for a vw golf repair manual, Volkswagen.Golf.Jetta.R32.Official.Factory.Repair.Manual.1999-2005 is what its called!

The engine in the diagram VR6 by the look of it. However, the component listed is the temp sensor. On other engine types it will be fitted to a similar looking part. Basically, it will fit in to a plastic pipe junction and it will have a 4 pin connector. A clip (green afaik) holds it in. If you plan to remove it be sure the engine is cold and top up any lost coolant. Your car should take VW G12 coolant.

I doubt it's gonna be a loose wire - I'd be more inclined to think that the sensor is faulty.

apeking wrote:
    It could be a lawnmower for what i know! I just have a ebook for a vw golf repair manual, Volkswagen.Golf.Jetta.R32.Official.Factory.Repair.Manual.1999-2005 is what its called!
    Where did you get the ebook? I'd like to have access to them it it'd make life a lot easier!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'd agree as well that its the temp sender. If it was the stat they normally stick open or closed. If its stuck closed you'd possibly overheat, if stuck open the temp would only reach about half way of the normal operating temp. With the gauge showing very little or no reading, its pointing to the temp sender or loose connection on it.

I recently located the temp sender on an A4 so they might locate them similar places on the Golf. It was mounted on the back end of the block. Alternatively, it could be on the rad. Basically check around the full engine block and rad for a small wire loom connected onto a small device screwed into the block or rad. Check the connector to see if it got loose, but normally they don't as they're well fitted.

This temp sender on the A4 had to be replaced for same reason as yours, so it sounds like the VW variants have this common issue.

Expect fluid loss when replacing it.

The sender from GSF cost about €25.

thanks ALOT for the info folks.
    I'll check it out and let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

very common problem on all VAG cars is the temp sender switch.
    they cost about €30

Thanks all that was it, fixed now.

Any tips on where best to get a replacement leather cover for around the base of the gearstick and the plastic cover for the rear ashtray slidy thingy?
    (aside from a Dealer)

Cheers

Redman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

The gear lever surround is only 30 ish euro. Bought one a while back, Can't remember the exact price...main dealer.

Advertisement