Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get my car working again?

Options
  • 19-04-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi there. I just came back from a holiday in Spain. I was gone 6 days and my car was parked outside my house, no problems to mention. My Fiat Punto, as I found out this morning, doesn't seem to start. I imagine the battery has died as when I turn the ignition, nothing seems to work. The lights don't come on, the dashboard doesn't light up and the engine doesn't start. The radio doesn't even work, nor does my car alarm. I'm really suprised this could happen, as my battery light hadn't been on and I was gone less than a week. I've heard of this happening if the car is left for weeks on end, but I didn't expect this.

I was just wondering does anyone have tips on how to jumpstart the battery (never done it before, but I have the wires available) or an easier way to get my car working. Thaks in advance for any replies! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Dunno mate. Might need a new car.
    GusherING wrote:
    I was just wondering does anyone have tips on how to jumpstart the battery (never done it before, but I have the wires available) or an easier way to get my car working. Thaks in advance for any replies! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like you may have left your lights on or something when you left.

here's a guide to jump starting: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/43793/article.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

new car deffo. those puntos can be touchy

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Solution: A Toyota :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

unfortunately with radios and alarms leds, clocks etc, this can happen. just jump start it or charge the battery using a charger, bring it for a good spin and it'll be fine again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 karl132

never had a car like yours:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's with all of the retarded comments on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

GusherING wrote:
    Hi there. I just came back from a holiday in Spain. I was gone 6 days and my car was parked outside my house, no problems to mention. My Fiat Punto, as I found out this morning, doesn't seem to start. I imagine the battery has died as when I turn the ignition, nothing seems to work. The lights don't come on, the dashboard doesn't light up and the engine doesn't start. The radio doesn't even work, nor does my car alarm. I'm really suprised this could happen, as my battery light hadn't been on and I was gone less than a week. I've heard of this happening if the car is left for weeks on end, but I didn't expect this.

Assuming it is the battery:

If you know somebody who has a set of jump leads then get them to jump start it from their car.

Alternatively you could try getting a few friends to push the car with you steering it, have the car in second gear and the ignition switched on. Let the clutch out slowly, tip the accelerator and the car may jump and start for you. If it does give it plenty of revs and drive it down the road for about 20 mins for the battery to get a good charge. Not sure if this will work but it has for me before.

If none of the above work and your stuck you could call the AA and they will arrive up and charge the battery for or replace it. If you are not a member though they will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

i wudnt suggest the pushing option jsut cos if the battery is so dead even the led for the alarm isnt working then u wont get it started and u will end up in a worse situation than u started as the car will have to be pushed back to point where its safe. just jump start it, charge the battery, or buy a new one for about 50euro and swap it over. if u know of any decent parts wholesalers or mechanics in your area, they may even give u a loan of a handheld jumper/powerstation to get the car running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

GusherING wrote:

Who are you insured with.if its hibernain call them and they will come out for free to start it.i had the sma eproblem with my brand new vw golf.the battery went dead in 1 week.so they came out and started it and its working perfectly now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement