Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling on plasterboard

Options
  • 19-04-2006 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Can I tile straight onto plasterboard or is it there any value in having it plastered first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

We always tile directly onto green plasterboard but always paint the plasterboard with "Aquastop" to stop the plasterboard sucking all the moisture from the tile adhesive which dries it out too quick.
    Aquastop also gives you a second line of defence if some moisture gets in through the grout.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Thanks Viking stop - all the wet areas have green but there are some walls with plain plaster board wonder is it ok as well - builder has suggested he bond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Out of my own personal interest, what size tiles are you using?
    All the tiles we have looked at seem very heavy for partition plasterboard walls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

have a look at the gypsum and lafarge websites. i remember seeing a maximum tile size for this on a spec sheet a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Greebo

You had me worried there... Hadnt thought about size of tile however looked at Gypsum site based on Patrido's post and the issue is tile weight rather than size, they recommend not more than 32kg /m2

http://www.gypsum.ie/pdf/productmanual/2_Gyproc_Plasterboard/2_3_Ceramic_Tiling.pdf

Now off to weigh the tiles...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You can get a special mix adhesive for the likes of porcelain tiles. I tiled 600mm * 300mm porcelain tiles on the wall there last week, onto skilmmed plasterboard, of course I had to prop the trim around the top of the windows and lathe the walls to hold the tiles.

Advertisement