Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wonder when...

• 19-04-2006 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Horrible thought came into my mind the other day. I remember reading somewhere about a game called Asherons Call 2 (did i read it here? and is it that game?) About a reporter who focuesed on MMORPGS and the closing of the game. The last server was still up and it was the last day it would be.

They said it was so sad when they were running through all of the usually bustling towns and places where you would be bombarded with on screen messages about buying this and that, but there was nothing. Empty. You would see the odd person running around on their own.. and upon asking them what they were doing they would reply that they were taking screenshots of the once familiar places to keep as a record in years to come.

I wonder when that will happen with WoW. When will IF and OGG be empty... maybe 1 person running around on their own on the last remaing server.....

hehe, anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Man that'd be crazy!

Imagine flying into Ogg to find noone there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As with most games, even WoW will have a limited lifespan. It's not all that old as online games go, and the future potential has already been built in.

I'm sure most of Blizzard's offices are dedicated to WoW, and in a boardroom somewhere, there's a ten-year roadmap about where the game is going next. How many of us will be playing WoW in ten years' time? I haven't gotten massively into the social aspect of the game, but even with that, I can't see myself with a mortgage, a wife and two young kids, and sitting at my machine playing WoW. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

seamus wrote:
    I can't see myself with a mortgage, a wife and two young kids, and sitting at my machine playing WoW. :)

We're 6 years into a 30 year mortgage and we've got 2 year old twins and I play most nights. So what is it you're saying? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It does have a limited lifespan, and what often happens is another MMO comes along that takes people's attention. Might take a while with WoW to die down because of the sheer amount of people playing, but a lot of people I know (myself included, I have to admit) aren't really playing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Yea I wasn't playing anymore either

-

till i started a Lock and now I'm back full swing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 chomsky

I used to play Everquest and I still have an active account, even though I don't play it.

The equivalent of places like Ironforge and Stormwind are now total deadzones, whereas before you would find hundreds of people every square mile.

It's really sad to see. People still play the game but it's the die harders, powerful beyond their wildest dreams but powerless to stop the morbid decay of time that effects games like these.

It's best to get out while it's still vibrant, so it doesn't seem like it was all for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Over time, numbers on servers will dwindle. Blizzard will probably allow server populations to merge. Essentially forced migration to a new server from 2-3 other servers. And then close down servers. Overtime reducing the number of servers they need to maintain. I won't be quitting for a while yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

seamus wrote:
    I can't see myself with a mortgage, a wife and two young kids, and sitting at my machine playing WoW. :)

I've got 4 Kids and a mortgage but it doesn't mean life is over. What it does mean is that with only one PC capable of running WOW, there is a mini war going on as to who gets the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Man today Bladefist felt like..

you know when you're moving house and have everything packed up and stuff, seems like everyones leaving and no one's really doing anything except idling around waiting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

DRakE wrote:
    Man today Bladefist felt like..

you know when you're moving house and have everything packed up and stuff, seems like everyones leaving and no one's really doing anything except idling around waiting..

<
    Deletes his lvl14 warlock he's been working on all day =(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Certainly MMORPG's like all games have a limted lifespan, but ac2 was in a way a special case.
    Even the grand daddy of them all Ultima is still going as is everquest. I think the problem it had and to a degree EQ II has is that they are sequels and most people are looking for something fresh and see these as a cheap rehash. I remember reading in an article somewhere how many of the newer MMORPGs basically got buried by WOW, there basically wasn't anyone left for them.

Advertisement