Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sedation...need help

• 19-04-2006 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi,
    I'm so glad i found this site. well i'm 22 and have been to the dentist a few times in primary school and hadn't been since. Cos i'm terrified.I cud feel a whole in my tooth before x mass but just ignored it. Then x mass night i bit into a biscuit and broke the tooth. wasn't painful was fine. So my mam decided i really needed to go the dentist and i aslo know i had to. I went and she said the teeth are grand except for the broken and decayed tooth and also one other that is starting up.

Now heres my problem. I CANNOT get this needle in my mouth. i stood at 22 in the dentist office and cried my eyes out. i was in an awhful state. She wasn't very nice she was like yeah well u have to get it done you have no choice. just not very relaxing and comforting So i've done some research and i know u can get gased but heard its not a nice feeling. and also oral tablets to knock u out. cud sleeping tablets do the job. valum won't do.

SO i need any info on this. i need it done becuase i'm not in terrible pain from the tooth so much i've found myself in tears. i need to know places of where i can go or what to do to get the ball rolling.

Please please i don't want people saying the needles fine, just get it done, you'll be grand. i can't get this needle i just can't. i've not had two very important needles in primary school because of this fear. i need advice please. I need this done but can't get the needel. i'm in an awful state over this,

Thanks for any help. :-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Firstly I would like to say this is a common problem although you sound quite severe. Secondly you really do need to get that tooth fixed cause it will only get worse. As a dentist maybe I am not the best to give you experiance myself but here it goes.

First before discussing any other options I personally feel that if there is any way you can overcome this fear such as using topical anaesthetic, relaxation techniques, breathing exercises this is best. You will need dentistry throughout your life and it is much much better if you can get it done under local anaesthetic.

Oral Sedation : Helps but has variable effects and its effects are difficult to time. You will still need an injection of local.

Intravenous sedation: Good and you forget what happens like being very drunk, but here you need an injection in your arm or the back of your hand, can cause breathing difficulties ( rarely in health people) but very safe and reversable. You still need local anaesthetic also.

General Anaesthetic : no way somebody will know you out for a simple filling, can be dangerious and very expensive. You still need needles in you arm.

Nitrious Oxide : Medium sedative...safe...still need local anaesthtic.

So basically no matter what you have done you will get needles. My advice would be to find a dentist who will be sympathetic to you and take things at you own pace. If you PM me I can give you the name of a dentist that work with hypnosis although I know nothing of this myself. It can be difficult and expensive to get sedation for this kind of simple dentistry. Maybe other people can give stories of how they overcame their needle phobia.

I know you said not to...but dental local anaesthetic can really be painless, topical gel and a careful technique and you would not be able to tell if you had the injection or not...seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

Thanks for your quick reply. to be honest i'm in a terrible state. i know its only a filling and to be honest i'm not to worried about getting it its just the needle. theres no way in hell i can get it. The hypnosis i never wud have thought about so if you can give me any onformation on that it would be much appricated.

I just don't know what to do.as i said the woman i went to just did not put me at ease at all she knew i was nervous and i asked her to tell me what she was doing but she just went poking around and put me into tears.

Its only been in te last maybe 2 weeks ts started paining me but the last few days its gotten worse. i took two dispern and it seems to do the trick but i know that i have to get it sorted. I'm very chuffed with myself if even doing all and going in the first place this as my fear is unreal. Ok i'm rambeling on now.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I've gotten a lot of extractions and the like done, and to be honest, you can't actually feel the needle. The dentist puts a topical anaesthetic on the spot where the needle goes in (in your mouth) and you can't feel it at all. I would wait for the needle to go in, and the dentist would already have it done.

It's not just not sore, you actually cannot feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

The fact that i can or cant feel it doesn't really matter istill know its happening

Advertisement