Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Irish be saved?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Often West-Brit wannabe's
    I think this is really offensive. To return the insult, it suggests a 'Taliban-like' mentality among the Irish language enthusiasts.

A great many people in this country are descended from English-speaking families for many generations. Branding them as not 'Irish' contradicts the inclusive nature of our constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think this is really offensive. To return the insult, it suggests a 'Taliban-like' mentality among the Irish language enthusiasts.

A great many people in this country are descended from English-speaking families for many generations. Branding them as not 'Irish' contradicts the inclusive nature of our constitution.
    Where did I suggest anyone was not 'Irish'? Where did I suggest that anyone who believes that the language is dead is a West-Brit wannabe?

I pointed out that in the spectrum of opinion on the subject there are two minority fringe groups that are entrenched in their views (and 'Taliban-like' mentality among some of the Irish language enthusiasts is not a bad description for one of them). The vast majority in the middle are moderate and while opinions differ the current situation is there is a majority who still support the language - however, unlike the Galegores, this support is not guaranteed, any more than those in the middle group, who presently believe that linguistic euthanasia is in order, are fixed to this view.

I suggest you read posts before jumping to conclusions. A passing command of the English language may be necessary however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Off Topic I know:

Ever notice how accusations "being offensive" or "don't offend my views" are words which themselves are used as "offensive weapons".

"I'm killing you because you offended my views!"

They are often used by the nastiest fascists (9/11 etc.)

Civilisation sometimes had to "be offensive" to the views of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Where did I suggest anyone was not 'Irish'? Where did I suggest that anyone who believes that the language is dead is a West-Brit wannabe?
    You didn't nor did I say you did. But it's commonly used to disenfranchise people who don't accept the identity that Irish fanatics want to impose on them. My family name is an old English one and I've had to resist attempts to Gaelicise it.

My point is that the use of the term 'West Brit' in any discussion of the Irish language is igoing to alienate many Irish people.
    I suggest you read posts before jumping to conclusions. A passing command of the English language may be necessary however.
    Sorry if you became angry having felt that my statement was directed at you personally.

Advertisement