Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield Market Whats it like to live IN??

Options
  • 19-04-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking to move to smithfield area currently in D8 and want to know some inside info to what sor tof area it is.
    I know the drinkers hang around the fountain just near the Luas.
    Does the smithfield horse market still run every Sunday??

Anyway any info you have will be much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm living here right now.

It's grand! The drinkers are only there during the day (can't see them from my window now) and they're generally the passive, quiet sort. Never seen them cause a spot of bother.

The horsey market is only on the first Sunday of every month. It's a little bit noisy but it's the dirt/smell that's more irritating than anything (horses tend to defecate...). However, Dublin City Council have it cleaned up by the Monday evening.

Noise level wise, you'll get the drunken ijits crossing the square, but they're not too many (that, or I've got used to them).

Amenities wise, I find the new "Fresh" supermarket has a good selection. It's not exactly cheap but it's far better than the decripid little "Spar" nearby.

Not sure which block of apparments you're moving into but, if it is the new block, you'll be set up with Smart if you want broadband or tv or the likes. They've had a few hiccups in the past (crawling speeds, etc) so just don't be surprised if it isn't always smooth (although it's been fine for the last fortnight).

The only other thing you'll really note are the occasional events on. The most disruptive is the ice rink (lasts about 6 weeks) with its loop of classic Xmas hits played at loud volumes. As long as you're not directly facing onto it (as I am) you should be fine.

Any other queries/questions, I'll do my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Thanks Ioxy for the info. v much appreciated.
    I live in christchurch at the mo and anything has to be a step up from there!!
    I put down the deposit today and its on the 5th floor so shouldnt be too noisy!!
    currently have smart in at christchurch so hopefully they can transfer my account with no hiccups.
    I also hear they havbe smart vision there which comprises of tv too any more info on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Don't get your hopes up too much about Smart Vision Rafloution. When the net is running painfully slow, (as it was between Christmas and two weeks ago) the digital tv signal tends to get fairly bad as well. Sometimes the audio and video signals won't be in synch, or the video signal gets quite distorted. We've had a lot of problems with our phone as well - one weekend in particular the net went down for four days straight, and during that time the tv only worked intermittently and the phone was either really staticky or not working at all.

However, don't let all that put you off. That's just my personal rant about SmartVision. And they do promise us that they have fixed the problems now.

Living in Smithfield Market is great. No major noise problems from neighbours, the Luas service is great, the 1780 pub across the street is a great place for a quiet pint, and the apartments themselves are excellent. It's also great that the concierge can accept postal packages, so no more hassle trying to get anything delivered.

Need to know anything else, just ask...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SmartVision, the package I use, has had serious problems which aniascor has outlined. You'll find a lot of ranting about it on the Smart bulletin boards and, recently, there was murmurs of organizing a written protest against them. The service has picked up so it's probably died away...

Out of sheer curiosity, what blocks are ye all in? I'm in Block A. I already seem to know, coincidentally, bunches of people in the place..

Yup, I'm in Block A too - for the next two months at least. In the process of buying a place at the moment, so will be moving far outside the city. :( The Smithfield apartments are a "little" out of our price range when it comes to buying a place. It'll be a shame to give up our lovely apartment, but hopefully owning our own place will make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Ioxy another quick question wonder if you could help!!
    In relation to smart vsion...whats the deal?
    I know the breakdown of the package...
    but what sort of channels are included?
    and what the €25 free calls are they only to other smart customers?
    Also do they have the whole area monopolised i.e can i go to ntl??
    Oh and its going to be block e

Thanks

Hi Rafloution

The channels included seem to be everything except the Sky Channels (that includes Sky One - you have to pay extra for a Sky package) and no sci-fi channel either.

The €25 of free calls is all calls, not just those to Smart Telecom. It's actually pretty good. We rarely have more than the €25 worth used up, and even when we do go over it, Smart calls rates are excellent. Much cheaper than Eircom or UTV in my experience.

From what I know, Smart do have the whole area monopolised. I don't think you can get another phone line or tv package, but I could be wrong. When it's working, their broadband has been worth having, because every room in the apartment has a socket that you can plug into, which is very handy. (Emphasis on the "when it's working" though).

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Whats up, I live in Smithfield in an apartment with my girlfriend the last four months. I mean ive never experienced any bad points about the places so far. Before I came I thought it would be a rough area but its grand. Only think is the monthly horse market, leaves a smell but get used to it I suppose.
    The apts I live in back onto bow street so theres a nice view of The Friary and a good view of the city. However of course as you would expect, the odd drunk person does hang about but theyre harmless. Some of the local kids can be a little over enthusiastic but no harm done yet :) Its a nice area and theres good supermarket and pub nearby. Very multi-cultural.

Advertisement