Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

commercial as private car ...still confused

Options
  • 19-04-2006 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

If I use a commercial vehicle only privately, do I or don't I have to tax it as a private vehicle (i.e. at the full rate ) as well.

I know ...insurance can be tricky, but I will trust my powers of persuasion on that one ...

And IF i have to tax it privately ...what about NCT? Or is it still annual DOE inspection?

Sorry about the n-th repetition of this dumb question ...but I've heard so many different stories now ...I'm confussed :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

peasant wrote:
    If I use a commercial vehicle only privately, do I or don't I have to tax it as a private vehicle (i.e. at the full rate ) as well.

I know ...insurance can be tricky, but I will trust my powers of persuasion on that one ...

And IF i have to tax it privately ...what about NCT? Or is it still annual DOE inspection?

Sorry about the n-th repetition of this dumb question ...but I've heard so many different stories now ...I'm confussed :confused:

Commercial Tax = Commercial use only; Never ever for private use (ever); Annual DOE test (weight doesn't matter anymore - they're all annual tests now.) Must be weighed before 1st. taxing except for some of the smaller ones which need a "Goods Only Declaration" instead. (Ring your Motor Tax office with the reg. number and they'll tell you if it needs to be weighed or needs a "Goods Only.") Must have commercial insurance.

Private Tax = Private and Commercial use allowed; NCT every 2 years, after the first 4 years. And, eh... no parking in loading bays. ;)

That's it...

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I had a commercial vehical for private use only, several years ago. I paid private tax and was never called for DoE or NCT. I had great difficulty getting insurance-most companies seemed to have difficulty believing it was for private use only.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Litcagral wrote:
    I had a commercial vehical for private use only, several years ago. I paid private tax and was never called for DoE or NCT.

I don't think that means you're exempt.

I recall a court case in the local paper where a guy didn't get an NCT because he never got any notification.

Judge said tough ****, pal... notifications are a courtesy. You car, your responsibility. Maximum fine! (Or something to that effect.)

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

peasant wrote:
    I would also imagine if you use your powers of persuasion even thought you might have insurance it migth actually be invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thanks guys.

That puts a definite end to that.

Was thinking about getting a Kangoo or Berlingo as a cheap runaround ...but I don't quite agree with paying the tax for a two litre diesel poverty spec biscuit tin when I could get the same biscuit tin as a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol AND with windows and more kit.

Back to drawing board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

why would you need a Berlingo for private use anyways??

Its a commercial vehicle by definition so you really have to be able to talk thie hind legs of a donkey to convince any insurance company its for private use. They might believe you if it was a car van or small box on wheels but not a van...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

I dont know the answer to your question, but I thoguht that anyone could buy a commercial vehicle, tax it as such, but insure it for personal use. I defer to people who know better though.

If we go back to the Crew Cab carry on:

Charlie McC reduced the VRT on these due to lobbying by the builders and farmers... and it was a good idea.. a workhorse that can carry a few men safer than shoving them in the back of a transit van. But then Joe Public started buying these machines (which can only be called modified tractors) for domestic use with the effect VRT was re-applied by Charlie.

Savman wrote:
    why would you need a Berlingo for private use anyways??
    [/I]

I don't actually NEED a Berlingo ...but it would do nicely. There's only two of us but three large-ish dogs and the occasional DIY related transport issue.

Based on that, it should be possible to convince an insurance company that that is all you want.

The advantage of Berling & co is that you can get them fairly cheap second hand and there is great choice.

The disadvantage is the poverty spec (often not even a passenger airbag for example). This would be outweighed by the cheap commercial tax ...if you could get it ...

A car-van wouldn't really do the trick as the load space is somewhat compromised and impractical.

And a big converted 4x4 is just overkill and waay too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

I'm driving a Partner(Peugeot version of Berlingo) for the last 7 years. Bought it new, and have never used it commercially. It's taxed and insured as a commercial. It's swings&roundabouts, - what you save on tax, you pay on insurance.
    It's reliable and economical, and very capacious. I've carried a large tumble dryer in it, on one occasion. I've also carried bicycles, and gone camping in it(great for going to summer festivals, on spec.). I've also used it as a mobile changing room, after a wet day's hillwalking.
    I would thoroughly recommend one!

So you CAN use a commercial privately then on commercial tax ...

I guess a good talking to Revenue and insurance people is required ...horses mouth and all that ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement