Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Guitarists...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Anyone claiming that Rory was better than Jimi is off on one. But I can see that your just being patriotic and all but there is no compare between the two. Jimi is far and away much more talented than Rory was. Someone mentioned 'how much feedback can you listen to'? Well it seems that nearly every guitar poll shows that alot of people can listen to Jimi forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

im not off any anything actually nor an i being patriotic.
    i genuinely believe he was a better guitarist than hendrix.
    every man to their own.
    i will say one thing,i am more into the blues stuff.
    elvis2002 wrote:
    Anyone claiming that Rory was better than Jimi is off on one. But I can see that your just being patriotic and all but there is no compare between the two. Jimi is far and away much more talented than Rory was. Someone mentioned 'how much feedback can you listen to'? Well it seems that nearly every guitar poll shows that alot of people can listen to Jimi forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

My favourite guitarists, thoguh subjectively may not be - in some people's eyes - the "best" are Hendrix, Joe Pass, Dave Gilmour, Jonny Greenwood

elvis2002 wrote:
    Well it seems that nearly every guitar poll shows that alot of people can listen to Jimi forever.

Guitar polls count for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 daveboy

Dave Gilmour, or Preston Reed for acoustic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Here's a few underappreciated (but IMHO great) guitarists:-
    Buck Dharma
    Jeff "Skunk" Baxter
    Phil Manzanera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Batty

Carlos Santana
    Johnny Marr
    Steve Vai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Vini Reilly
    Johnny Marr
    Will Sergeant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Not one mention of Squire!!
    Amazing lead and amazing song writing. Catchy poppy Melodies and Hendrix driven rock!
    As far Gallagher he played a gig once my Da told me about with Clapton and Hendix the 2 guys were blown away by his skills!
    Noe if thats not a good recommnedation to have him in your band what is?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mikael Akerfeldt is the best guitar.

But also:

Chuck Schuldiner
    Steve Vai
    Marty Friedman
    John Petrucci

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭nohshow

As far Gallagher he played a gig once my Da told me about with Clapton and Hendix the 2 guys were blown away by his skills!
    Noe if thats not a good recommnedation to have him in your band what is?:D

Nah, only Clapton has enough, what i would call, "livingness" left in him to join my band.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

eric johnson

the man can do anything. If you haven't listened to him yet then you should.

I've not heard any guitarist who can equal him.

Yeah Eric Johnson is incredibly competent. What spearates Johnson for me is hat he doesn't limit himself to electric guitar, he's as able on acoustic which is aharder instrument, in many respects, to master. Most "best" guitarists are electric players, check out Leo Kottke - possibly the most technically gifted player ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Christy Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

alex lifeson (such a unique player)
    gilmour (feeling and tone)
    brain may (not really noted because of the nature of queens music but listen to 'i want it all')
    eddie van halen (speed)
    pertucci (techinal as anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

hard to name the best guitar player because originality, composition and technicality all come into 'play'.

Hendrix
    Marr
    Richards
    Buckingham
    Davis
    Reinhart

would be my twopenny's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My current favourite guitarist is Alexi Laiho. Might change after I see Steve Vai next month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

In no particular order.

Buckethead :p Very versatile style.
    http://tinyurl.com/ozzsz That's the most varied solo of his I could find. Quality isn't great.

Victor Wooten vs his brother. http://tinyurl.com/lgbsu
    Amazing video! Vic owns.

John Petrucci. Mainly because I like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension. I don't really think he's the best out there but he can sure write some good music.

SRV rules. Good songs, good playing.

Al DiMeola is excellent. http://tinyurl.com/qu5b2 - Full concert.

I dunno who my favourite is though :rolleyes: ...let alone the best.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

jcoote wrote:
    brain may (not really noted because of the nature of queens music but listen to 'i want it all')

Brian May is amazing, His playing on Innuendo is great:eek:

Mark Knopfler, Telegraph road/private investigations = over 20 minutes beautiful guitar.......Money for nothing WHAT A RIFF:D

Paul gilbert, Amazingly technical and fast with Racer X, great songwriting with Mr Big

Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
    Jimi Hendrix (but IMO not the best ever)

Anywhoo, You know a guitarist is great when the average Joe can appreciate them...

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I don't think technical ability is that important. For me it's about the tone and emotoin of the overall sound. Here's my top 5.

The Edge
    Scot Gorham
    John Squire
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Jimmi Hendrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Personally...

Alexi Laiho, Zakk Wylde, Jeff Loomis, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads, Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Slash, Hendrix...etc

And one of my personal favourites, Mark Tremonti...

*gets flame proof jacket*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

Ahem

Brian Robertson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

technically the scariest in the world in all genres (i can sense trouble here ) is Paco De Lucia, followed by his close mate John Mc Laughlin, if we're speaking from a purist point of view those guys are top, track 3 on friday night in san francisco is possibly the most accomplished feat virtuosity for 2 guitar s I have ever heard, of course there many more but heres a breakdown,

jazz conception feel and beauty

django
    wes montgomery
    joe pass
    benson
    pat metheny

jazz technical (not to say they're not beautiful but to give an approximation of those with outstanding technical ability)

tal farlow
    pat martino
    mclaughlin

new age

alan holdsworth

classical guitar

almost impossible to distinguish technical ability here but

possibly alirio diaz or manuel barreuco or even the miguel llobet who was a student of taregga,

the most beautiful player

juliam bream, (except on taregga, where i prefer the south americans)

most popular

segovia and williams

I'll let someone else break down the other genres....

Advertisement