Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convertible - am I mad?

Options
  • 19-04-2006 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Just wondering if anybody has a convertible and what they honestly think of it. Do you get to drive with the hood down v often? Is there a lot of noise, is it a colder drive in the winter? I'm thinking of buying an Opel Astra 1.6 convertible but not 100% convinced.......

All opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great in the summer. However, the winter is another story. If the price is right and you like it just go for it. Try to test dive it on a relatively warm day so you can give it a good drive with the roof down.

I'd be a fan of electric roof operation rather than having to get out of the car.

A friend of mine had an Astra convertible and she sold it - she still regrets selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I used to drive convertibles before but tbh I think they're a waste of time in Ireland as it's usually too cold. Anytime I drive here I get a pain in my head from the cold, even with a wind break fitted to the car. The only place, in my opinion, is a warm country, there's no comparison. I've driven convertibles in warm countries and that's where they're meant to be driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I own a convertible and use it as my daily driver. I disagree with the previous poster: in most warm countries it gets too hot in a convertible. Ireland in the summer is perfect.

It is better to get a model with an optional (or retractable) hard top for the winter months. Mine has one and I keep it on the car from November to April. That said, I've driven in cold rainy weather with just the soft top. It's a little bit louder but no windier or colder in the cabin. YMMV.

If performance is of any concern to you, you will want to get braces to stiffen the chassis. The make the car feel much more solid. Also, personally, I'd avoid automatic tops as they weigh a ton but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

I have owned two convertibles one with a retractable hardtop and the other a soft top. I loved both to bits and would definitly recommend them. Ok the weather isnt as nice as somewhere like florida but its still so much fun to drive topless. It does get cold but most cars have heating you can use. Like ernie use a hard top on the soft top car i have now from Oct-March. But i drove for 6 hours two weeks ago with the top off all the way. Put on a bit of heating and once the sun is shining it feels fine ;) In fact i had the roof off once when it started to snow, and despite the fact i was freezing my ass off, i had the biggest smile on my face as it was alot of fun :eek:

As for the summer i drive with the top down anyday the sun is shining. As my car at the moment is one where you manually do the roof i am sometimes stuck with the roof off if the weather changes and i dont want to pull over and get out etc. But thats fine as long as your moving no rain will hit you ;) Noise isnt a problem for me, as i dont notice wind noise with the stereo on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I own a convertible and use it as my daily driver. I disagree with the previous poster: in most warm countries it gets too hot in a convertible. Ireland in the summer is perfect.

That's actually the second time i've head that in the last few weeks and i'm really becoming convinced. I'd always assumed convertibles were for hot countries but having had my first proper open top drives in an mx-5 and z3 recently (on very mild days) it was actually great :)

Thought the mx-5 was very overrated but the z3 was decent though i'd go north or to the uk to get a decently speced model. Why not consider an old slk? Still a great looking car and has a hard top convertible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have just spent most of this weekend with the roof off, and despite some funny looks I loved it.

You wll notice the cars a bit louder on the m'way than a tin top, but drop that roof and you'll forgive it everytime.

I find if your willing to put the roof down when it's anyway nice, you'll really enjoy the experience of owning it, just remember that top off for the car does not mean top off for you, bring a jacket ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I spent all weekend with the roof down in my MINI. Just make sure you get heated seats, it makes mild days do-able with the roof down. Also, remember, having a cabrio will affect resale (I'm in the motor trade, so I'm not b*llsh*tting you). Most garages will price it the same as a hatch, even though there was a premium first day.

Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ned78 wrote:
    Also, remember, having a cabrio will affect resale (I'm in the motor trade, so I'm not b*llsh*tting you). Most garages will price it the same as a hatch, even though there was a premium first day.

This is very much down to the car. In the case of the MINI it may well be true, as the closed car looks so much better than the convertible. Most convertibles, though, will always be worth more than their fixed-head counterparts. That said, most convertibles will be in better condition than, and have lower mileage than their coupe equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I struggled over the decision to get a convertible for a few months around this time last year. Some of you might recall! :p

I was hearing things like "oh we don't have the weather for them here in Ireland" and "Them soft-tops leak after a while" and "Your car will be broken into the second you turn your back".

I disregarded all this and went ahead and bought myself an MX5. It is probably the best decision I have made in my life. There car is great fun to drive.

Its like having 2 different cars. The roof up during the winter and the roof down quite alot during the summer. I actually got a sun tan on my face and neck last year.

I could not recommend a convertible more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Funxy wrote:
    I have owned two convertibles one with a retractable hardtop and the other a soft top. I loved both to bits and would definitly recommend them. Ok the weather isnt as nice as somewhere like florida but its still so much fun to drive topless. It does get cold but most cars have heating you can use. Like ernie use a hard top on the soft top car i have now from Oct-March. But i drove for 6 hours two weeks ago with the top off all the way. Put on a bit of heating and once the sun is shining it feels fine ;) In fact i had the roof off once when it started to snow, and despite the fact i was freezing my ass off, i had the biggest smile on my face as it was alot of fun :eek:

Almost 100% agreement - I just don't like hardtops - in my mind they reduce the chance of you taking the hood down on those sunny winter days. However each to their own

I've had a Saab 900 soft top for 5 years now - and like others, I've loved driving it. In fact the tighter legislation here has made the convertible more of a pleasure, it's still possible to really enjoy motoring in a soft top, and stay on the right side of the law.

Unfortunately my pride n joy will soon be forsale, as I've a new workmobile, and nowhere to keep the Saab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I owned an MX-5 for several years in Holland, not one of the warmest or driest countries in the world either. Basically, unless it was raining it was driven everywhere with the roof down, however cold it was. Side windows up, wind blocker up, heating full on ... bliss! It always annoys me seeing people driving round in convertibles with the roof up on days when it would be perfectly Ok to put it down, I mean, why do they bother?

In fact a dry, freezing cold, frosty winters day, with clear blue skies is actually one of the best times to enjoy a convertible in my opinion. Doing it in the height of summer is a sure way to really bad sunburn, take it from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

I drive a convertible too, with an electric roof. It is great. You can take the roof down or put it up while you are driving, even at motorway speeds, without having to pullover. The car has heated seats too, so as long as it is not raining you can take the roof down. I would strongly recommend heated seats.

The only negative of the soft top is the extra noise when on motorways, but you can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Convertible - am I mad?

No.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bonnie's Babe

py2006 wrote:
    I struggled over the decision to get a convertible for a few months around this time last year. Some of you might recall! :p

I was hearing things like "oh we don't have the weather for them here in Ireland" and "Them soft-tops leak after a while" and "Your car will be broken into the second you turn your back".

I disregarded all this and went ahead and bought myself an MX5. It is probably the best decision I have made in my life. There car is great fun to drive.

Its like having 2 different cars. The roof up during the winter and the roof down quite alot during the summer. I actually got a sun tan on my face and neck last year.

I could not recommend a convertible more!

Does it bother you not having a back seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

smarty wrote:
    I drive a convertible too, with an electric roof. It is great. You can take the roof down or put it up while you are driving, even at motorway speeds, without having to pullover.
    Really?
    What car do you have ?
    I thought this was a total NO NO :confused:

Does it bother you not having a back seat?

No, not at all! I prefer not to have one! There is only one of me so no need for the extra seats. Occasionally I have the odd girl here and there with me in the passenger seat.

The boot of the MX5 is surprisingly big too for a car of its size!

RobAMerc wrote:
    Really?
    What car do you have ?

Don't mind him, full of crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

I have an mx5 too. Love it to BITS! Unfortunately it is for sale in the motors for sale section but i will be sad to see it go, especially when im driving around in the summer months.

I never had a problem with mine being a convertable, i just took the roof down when it was warm enough to take it down.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I drive a MGTF convertable it has a hardtop for the winter and a softop for the summer which by the way i have on now. I use it every day to and from work and love it to bits. If you want a convertaible cruiser then get a electric hardtop but if you want a sports car get one that can have the heavy hard top availiable. I can so recommend the TF is amazing to drive and if you want to have a look or a go in one PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

smarty wrote:
    I drive a convertible too, with an electric roof. It is great. You can take the roof down or put it up while you are driving, even at motorway speeds, without having to pullover. The car has heated seats too, so as long as it is not raining you can take the roof down. I would strongly recommend heated seats.

The only negative of the soft top is the extra noise when on motorways, but you can live with that.

Presumably the extra noise on the motorway is the sound of your hood ripping off as you lower it.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

RobAMerc wrote:
    Really?
    What car do you have ?

smart roadster coupe brabus. The roof slides into the rear boot. If you want to take the side bars off, then obviously you have to stop, but the roof can come down at motorway speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

smarty wrote:
    smart roadster coupe brabus. The roof slides into the rear boot. If you want to take the side bars off, then obviously you have to stop, but the roof can come down at motorway speeds.

Kewl!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I drive a convertable, and I drive it with the roof down any opportunity I get. I don't have heated leather seats or anything and I don't find it too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Having had a Honda S2000 for the last few weeks, it actually drives better with the roof down than up and as long as you are not traveling over 80kmh then then the cold doesn't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mayshine wrote:
    Having had a Honda S2000 for the last few weeks, it actually drives better with the roof down than up and as long as you are not traveling over 80kmh then then the cold doesn't bother

Of course if you're not going to go over 80km/h then why buy an
    S2000?;)

Advertisement