Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing Car Back From Europe - Too Late?

Options
  • 19-04-2006 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

My parents have been living in France for several years and will be returning to Ireland for good over the summer. My dad has bought himself a car in the last 6 months and will be taking it home with him. My mum hasn't bought a car. I'd planned to buy a car in mums name, sort out insurance, leave it with her in France for 6 months and then take use of it when she got back. I didn't take up on the offer in time. Now I do have the money and I'm wondering is there a way to sort this out. My parents say I've left it too late. I'm not overly picky on which car I go for, but I realise there could be a wait before I'd get a right hand drive car. My way of thinking would be to go ahead and buy the car, drive it back over the summer in assisting them get their gear back, store it until the 6 months ownership were up & then register it. Alternatively I could see about storing it in abroad until the 6 months are up and then driving it back. Are my parents correct in saying that I've run out of time. Dad reckons I'd get a car there for 20K, for which I'd spend 30K here. I'd be well annoyed if I passed up on the opportunity. Any ideas if there's something I could do here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, your mother will have to have owned the car for the 6 months prior to her return. This would mean that, should she buy the car now, she wouldn't be able to transfer residence until October. On the other hand, she could buy a brand-new car here, RHD & tax-free, and register it on French plates. This would save you the wait for a RHD special order in france.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BobbyFowler

stuff. Had to do a Google Search re: AFAIK. I see what you mean now. My main reason for the post was to see can I get around the whole VRT situation. The 6 month thing seems to still be a problem the way you've described. Is there a way around this? Any advice anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No way round ...unfortunately.

The six month rule is to allow european citizens to move their private belongings (in this case a car) freely from one country to another without having to pay any taxes or duties.

Especially whith a new car they (the VRT people) are extremely strict on the six month minimum thingy. You need to show all manner of documents (european insurance, tax, servicing invoices, etc) in order to REALLY prove that this is your own private car that you actually used for the six or more months and not something you're importing for a friend as a favour.

Also it has to have a minimum of 6000 (miles or kilometers ??) on the clock or you have to pay VRT AND VAT anyway.

Furthermore you're not allowed to transfer ownership (i.e. sell it) within a year or you will have to pay VRT anyway.

And as a last sting: In order to make your story as a migrating European citizen credible, you have to register your foreign car IMMEDIATELY after arrival in the country ...so no messing around, hiding the vehicle somewhere until the six months are up. They actually ask for ferry tickets and the like these days.

Fair enough Peasant. Thanks for the info - better get onto my dad that he makes sure he's got 6K on the clock!

I was talking to an Irish buddy of mine who's based in the UK. He suggested I buy a 2nd hand car over there, register it in his name and he'll store it for 6 months. Then he can drive it back over here & register it with Irish plates. I'll pay for his insurance and put myself down as a named driver for the year. Once the year's up I'll take the car off his hands. Am I naive in thinking that this is a simple way of avoiding VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You pay, he owns (legally) ...I take it he's a good, very trustworthy friend ?

:D:D:D

Won't work anyway ...the VRT people REALLY want to see two things:

a) proof that the car really has been used as a personal vehicle for the six months prior to importation ..i.e. not just stored somewhere

b) proof that the importer is now taking up permanent residence in Ireland.
    Just showing up with a car, registering it and then returning to England won't wash

(It might just work (if you get your story and fake invoices right :D) ...but if they get in any way suspicious things might turn really nasty ...I'd advice against it)

You wouldn't be the first to try and get caught ...

Advertisement