Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Upload Photos - Eircom BB

• 20-04-2006 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Perhaps someone can help as this is doing my head in:confused: :mad:
    I'm trying to upload photos to both Bonus print and foto.com for online printing without success. Bonus print will not work at all and anything over 15 kb will not go to foto.com. My set up is as follows:

Eircom Broadband connected via Netopia 3347nwg wirless router.
    Dell Desktop, running Win XP home with SP2, connected via ethernet cable, running AVG and Zone Alarm.
    Dell laptop (Inspiron 9300) connected via onboard wireless adapter, running Win XP home with SP2, running AVG and Zone Alarm.
    I use the laptop for all my photo work so it's from the laptop that I need to upload the photos. Everything else on the laptop works fine i.e. e-mail, web surfing, etc. I also can upload to my eircom webspace using FTP software: flash fxp when I create a pinhole for port 21 on the Netopia router. This makes me think that it may be a firewall issue on the Netopia Router.I've tried so many things at this stage that my head is muddled and I've forgotten the steps that I've gone through.:confused:

I've disabled both Zone Alarm and AVG on the laptop without success. I've set the firewall on the router to low and activated some pinholes for the laptop to pass through without success. I've e-mailed eircom broadband support but they were as much use as a deep freeze in the North Pole::rolleyes:

As my experience in this is limited perhaps you can offer some advice.
    1. As it may be a firewall issue how can I disable all firewalls on the router and use it as just a modem so that I can see if it is a router problem or a laptop problem? (BTW the dell desktop will not upload either.) If this succeeds, then at least I can start working back from that stage enabling and checking as I am going.

2. As FTP is working on port 21 how do I open the relevant ports for my laptop on the router so that the laptop sends and receives relevant data from the internet to facilitate the upload of the photos?

Sorry about the length of the post but I think that giving as much information as possible may help in resolving this problem.:o

If you can solve this you will have a friend for life.:D :D:D
    Many Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There is no firewall as standard on the 3347nwg so there is nothing to turn off there.
    Two things come to mind but you may have tried them already.
    1. Disable the inbuilt XP firewall aswell as Zone Alarm. (Start-->Control panel-->Windows firewall. Set to off)
    2. Reduce the security level in Internet Explorer to "Low". (In IE, Tools-->Internet options-->Security tab-->Custom level)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

Many thanks for your reply kaizersoze.

On the 3347nwg there is an option for setting a firewall in the configuration page. Four options; Off, low, moderate, and high (or something similar). I've tried both off and low without success.

Yes I've disabled Windows Firewall, in fact I don't use it at all, preferring to stay with Zone Alarm.

I'll try reducing the security settings in IE and see what happens.(hadn't thought of that:o )

Appreciate your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

Reduced the security setting to no avail.:(

One other option I'm thinking of trying is to get a loan of a DSL modem, configure it for eircom and connect the laptop directly to it.

Either that or move to BT:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement