Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Council Meeting EVER!!!!!!

Options
  • 20-04-2006 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

It was great, the shouts, the insults, the arguements, the revealing goodbye speeches. Two motions on abortion, one on Charles Haughey and a funky dress-up cow. It was a circus!
    There was tears, laughter, a git who would not shut up despite having his speaking rights removed and being asked to leave.
    It was hilarious.
    Pierce Farrell (sorry) kissing and telling on every SU member that ever crossed him, insulting and truth-spitting right and left (take that pun and smoke it)
    There was pseudo-law, made-up law and irrelevent law thrown about like gernades with both sides ignoring the other's evidence as being impossible as it contradicted their own.
    The lefties pet monkey went further than his normal retarded table-banging and actually jumped up on the table and hopped. He later gave an impassioned but misguided speech on how we were the next "ruling class".

If I've forgotten anything please tell me.

I will run for class-rep next year, this is too good to miss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

:confused:

Do elaborate young Spinner of Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

The Final council was amazing, im suprised Firespinner and i both agree, but for different reasons, a few things i'ld like to clear up with you FS.
    a git who would not shut up despite having his speaking rights removed and being asked to leave.

That "git" is Connor McGowan and gives more a of a **** about the students of ucd than half of council does.
    Pierce Morgan kissing and telling on every SU member that ever crossed him, insulting and truth-spitting right and left (take that pun and smoke it)

The least you could do is KNOW HIS NAME! Its PIERCE FARRELL. He was mostly truth spitting at the right. Because as you should have realised by now the left on council are the only ones that give a **** or do a tap.
    The lefties pet monkey[b/] went further than his normal retarded table-banging and actually jumped up on the table and hopped.

I sincerely hope you are not referring to Niall Dolan? He is one of the hardest working students AND class reps that have graced UCD in the last few years. He was ARRESTED nad poorly treated by the gards. I encourage u to do what he did firespinner. see if you could have such convictions as him. then you can try insulting him.

Im thinking that you were at a different council to me. ALL the cocksucking done by Dan, Dave and Jimmy. Not to mention Jane's emotional speech. I encourage you all to go and read the minutes for that union meeting, though i feel bad for Gav who had to try to take them, i think he gave up.

Jane's speech: she opened with "i'm not gonna do a little circle jerk like the rest have" fúcking quality line. she gave out about how the "best things that Jimmy had to say about his presidency was that he got phone chargers and the nite bus, things that the university should provide". Where as she led the anti-modularisation campaign, worked on student issues and tried to make ucd a better place. Her motions on trying to do something about abortion. the fact that she was, i think, the only sabbat to make each of her reports on time. the only one who really did her job. I say fair fúcks to you jane if you read this. YOU ARE THE MAN! rrr... WOMAN!

You Rock and you know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The lefties pet monkey went further than his normal retarded table-banging and actually jumped up on the table and hopped.

Consider this your second and last warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Two personal highlights:

The lefties accusing the righties of voting like sheep. Three woeds: pot, kettle and black.

Also, hearing a groan of "dead in the water" when Pierce decided to support that fresher's guide abortion type motion.

I know I said two, but Paddy resigning and then coming back. Priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Jaysus the SU becoming like the House Of Commons now. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Im thinking that you were at a different council to me. ALL the cocksucking done by Dan, Dave and Jimmy. Not to mention Jane's emotional speech. I encourage you all to go and read the minutes for that union meeting, though i feel bad for Gav who had to try to take them, i think he gave up.
    Gav never gives up. He just stands and bangs his head against a blackboard for a while sometimes.
    14 pages of A4 shorthand in size 10 font, though, that's a new record...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

singingstranger, are you the guy on the SU ball posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Gav never gives up. He just stands and bangs his head against a blackboard for a while sometimes.
    When can we see the minutes? That council was hilarious, I hope someone taped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Sounds like a fun job! ;) Never go to council, but kinda wishing I had now, it sounds like a madhouse! :D

ferdi wrote:
    singingstranger, are you the guy on the SU ball posters?
    *nods* Stubble and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

*nods* Stubble and all.

Bunny Rabbit Guy?

Personally I have never attended Su council nor would want to, hearing the stories only confirms this for me.

I'd much rather sit in the bar, smoke a spliff, look at ducks, wander to my locker, stare at ducks some more, buy fruit pastilles and so on.

But since I am oblidged by cicumstance I stick with the lefties, I am alas surrounded by thier militias. Plus the right wingers dont talk to me. :eek:

and do you know the bloke with the black hat sitting behind you in the lecture theatre ?

Not the bunny rabbit guy, the passed-out-with-the-Buckfast guy. And I don't know the bloke, but I'm told his name is A
    y P----r by another Carlovian...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

ferdi wrote:
    and do you know the bloke with the black hat sitting behind you in the lecture theatre ?
    Yeah i was wondering that meself....he looks v familiar

its James from Carlow!!!

Yeah, we nabbed a batch of civillian Carlovians in the Student Centre when we were on the way to Health Sciences to do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

God I may possibly run for class rep next year as our rep this year was complete gack!

I'd love to impose my views in council.....bring on the dictatorship of
    The "Genghis Ceauşescu" Van!

That "git" is Connor McGowan and gives more a of a **** about the students of ucd than half of council does.

He was billigerant, rude, obnoxious and a host of other adjectives. He could not let anyone else speak without interupting. I'm not sure how many class reps have acted up enough to have both of those motions put against them, but I suspect it is very few. He was a disgrace. To use boards talk - he wasn't a troll he was a flamer.
    The least you could do is KNOW HIS NAME! Its PIERCE FARRELL. He was mostly truth spitting at the right. Because as you should have realised by now the left on council are the only ones that give a **** or do a tap.
    I will not get into left vs. right as I set this thread up as a celebration of the entertainment gotten from that meeting, but I would suggest that the left propose only what they know will be defeated, and deride what they know will pass.
    Thank you for pointing out that I got the name wrong.

Im thinking that you were at a different council to me. ALL the cocksucking done by Dan, Dave and Jimmy.
    Despite the dress-up cow and general uproar I think I would have noticed this:rolleyes: .

Seriously though, It was the last day there is no harm in them praising each other, everyone was very sentimental.
    Not to mention Jane's emotional speech.

I left that out because I was not sure how to describe it. In conversation I might have used the word "sweet" to describe the speach and her exit but the word, when typed, seems sarcastic. "Endearing" might be a better word.
    While I disagreed with the speech it was nice and, I think, sincere.

Eugeniya's also was very heartfelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I will not get into left vs. right as I set this thread up as a celebration of the entertainment gotten from that meeting, but I would suggest that the left propose only what they know will be defeated, and deride what they know will pass.

Cop yourself on man, why would we do that? Council breaks my heart almost every fortnight, I'm pretty sure that none of us get a kick out of being in the minority on most issues but I certainly wouldn't keep going back if I didn't think there was good work that could be done if the right motions get passed (and the wrong ones get canned)

I've seen the councilors on the 'left' break their balls all year working for the union. I don't think any of us get a kick out of having to fight tooth and nail to get anything even vaguely progressive pushed through.
    Disagree with our policies and politics by all means (I'm sure you will), but it is an unbelievable insult to all the thankless f*cking work I've seen done this year for you to imly that we're just being controversial for sh*ts and giggles

The thing about council is that you can very quickly assertain those people who have convictions and those who do not.

I've only been to council a few times. But one can very quickly deduce that it is a body that CAN get things done IF it is allowed.

IF you have never heard a peep from your class rep or have and didnt like the way they said they would vote or act the my suggestion is GET UP OFF UR ASS and do it yourself. To Scop i would say that surely the story of how mad council was last nite is EVERY REASON to want to get involved. It ought to be taken seriously. If one in every ten students attended council just once they would have a wholley different perspective on it.

Most dont, they just bitch, moan and gripe like ya'll do.

And a lot of people in council do behave like sheep. This pot calling a kettle black thing is BS. most of the "left bank" will speak on some motion during the proceedings or not wait to see what the others do before voting. in the case of the centre or the right its a small group of five who are always having their say and the others DO wait to see how they vote before putting up hands. thats why votes need to be counted and re-counted coz their hands go up or down depending on what their puppetmasters tell them.

This is a fairly straight forward observation.

You can call me biased, but you can't call me a liar.

• Advertisement

And a lot of people in council do behave like sheep. This pot calling a kettle black thing is BS. most of the "left bank" will speak on some motion during the proceedings or not wait to see what the others do before voting. in the case of the centre or the right its a small group of five who are always having their say and the others DO wait to see how they vote before putting up hands. thats why votes need to be counted and re-counted coz their hands go up or down depending on what their puppetmasters tell them.
    I think everyone was laughing because when one left-oriented person (I think enda) called the others sheep, only five minutes before someone in the left pocket had said, very audibly, "quick lads put up your hands".

Cop yourself on man, why would we do that? Council breaks my heart almost every fortnight, I'm pretty sure that none of us get a kick out of being in the minority on most issues but I certainly wouldn't keep going back if I didn't think there was good work that could be done if the right motions get passed (and the wrong ones get canned)

I've seen the councilors on the 'left' break their balls all year working for the union. I don't think any of us get a kick out of having to fight tooth and nail to get anything even vaguely progressive pushed through.
    Disagree with our policies and politics by all means (I'm sure you will), but it is an unbelievable insult to all the thankless f*cking work I've seen done this year for you to imly that we're just being controversial for sh*ts and giggles
    Surely you must notice that you (you refering to that one pocket) oppose everything (nearly) that is passed and support everything (nearly) that is defeated. Why can you not compromise and produce workable proposals, instead of making a stand on every issue? There was little chance that the first abortion motion would get through, you knew that and kept going. Saying that I apologise for any offence, I wasn't specifically referring to even that group, and I'm aware that you try hard to make a difference.

EDIT: Don't use the term progressive, its insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Why can you not compromise and produce workable proposals, instead of making a stand on every issue?

Principles are sometimes pretty hard to compromise on. I suppose it's just the way we are.

I think the need for "quick lads put up your hands" was more because the nature of the chair. who, and i think even firespinner can acknowledge, can be very quick to count, or miscount, the votes of the class reps. at least they dont need to be cajoled into voting a particular way as i have witnessed some people being.

Anyway, Connor McGowan was a legend last nite. to quote grimes he "called a spade a spade..." you know the rest... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

There was little chance that the first abortion motion would get through, you knew that and kept going.

And why not?

I really don't understand your logic on that one. If there was little chance of it being defeated, would you expect the right to just sit back and give up? I'm asking a genuine question here.

Vainglory wrote:
    Principles are sometimes pretty hard to compromise on. I suppose it's just the way we are.

But surely it is more effective to meet the other members half-way, then to sit isolated, and side-lined in your corner. I saw members groan whenever certain others got up to speak because they could predict what would be said. I won't quote Machievelli to you, but doing new things is hard, and there are times when you must accept that most do not feel as strongly as you a certain way.
    Vainglory wrote:
    I really don't understand your logic on that one. If there was little chance of it being defeated, would you expect the right to just sit back and give up? I'm asking a genuine question here.
    I would expect them to oppose it yes, but I would not expect them to continually propose legislation which had no chance of getting through, just to make a point. The only legislation that I can remember the left getting through was to pay for costs when anti-war protestors are arrested, yet they continually propose such motions. When it is obvious that a motion will be defeated it is a waste of council time to propose it.

I was actually quite surprised that a motion mandating the President to find out what came under the umbrella of "legal" was defeated. Especially when he wanted us to only do things that were "legal" in the next motion.

But maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

One thing that (sadly) made it very clear that the sides basically disagree with each other on most things, is that the left (who are pro-choice), voted against the refurendum that (if passed) makes the UCD SU stance closer to what their own is.

OK, they aren't going to get the abortion clinics info in the Fresher's guide, but I thought that they would have seen the refurendum as a step in the right direction as far as they're concerned, though they may have wanted it to do more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Good God

Its this sort of partisan politics that has ruined US governance and SU politics in UCD......

I have my views and beliefs and feel I am entitled to disagree with people of other persuasions (and I often do!) but I will happily work with them! Partisans and extremists destroy politics and governance. Bring back common sense and pragmatism!

Get a grip the lot of ye

• Advertisement

We're running our own referendum, actually. Watch this space.

Advertisement