Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this network setup work?(just checking my knowledge)

• 20-04-2006 3:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have eircom DSL broadband and Cable broadband, wanted to disconnect dsl but can't since it's still under contract...... well it's ok, no biggie...

I want to make use of both of these, but keep LAN between computers,

The way I figured out this will work is....

Cable modem/router go into the switch, DSL router goes into the switch too, I disable DHCP on DSL router, so cable router handles all the ip assigning on the network, and change DSL router's gateway from 192.168.0.1 to something else like 192.168.0.254, so both DSL and cable routers don't have the same gateway. Then I go into TCP IP settings of each computer and just type the gateway I want it to use.

Now... the question I have,.... is there any other way of does this same as above? I just want check my knowledge :)

I have a spare network card, and basically want to use DSL only on one computer, so I though... to install 2 NICs into a pc, and then connect DSL modem(directly without router) to one of the NICs and connect LAN cat5 into another NIC, but the question is how to make the pc, use DSL modem for internet instead of Cable, I think it's impossible since in TCP/IP settings there is no way to enter the gateway since it's not a router(even if it had, the IP is dynamic). And even then there are 2 nics installed, how will I be able to block the other one from "providing" internet and only use it for LAN? So I think this won't work. Am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

trying to follow this, so is it you've 2 computers and you want both computers to be able to talk to each other? and want each computer to use a different bb connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

You can give each pc 2 ip's on it's one network card.

LAN ip: 192.168.0.*
    PC 1 WAN ip: 192.168.1.*
    PC 2 WAN ip: 192.168.2.*

Setup each of your modems to use the 192.168.1.* and 192.168.2.* respectively, and connect both to your LAN.

With PC 1's gateway set to 192.168.1.1, and PC 2's gateway set to 192.168.2.1 they'll each be using separate physical connections to the internet.

As they can both see each other on the LAN subnet you can still use them to communicate with each other.

I'm pretty sure that that would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

would it not be easier to setup
    DSL modem as 192.168.0.1
    Cable modem as 192.168.0.2

Pc1
    IP 192.168.0.3
    SM 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.0.1

Pc2
    IP 192.168.0.4
    SM 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.0.2

Then pc1 and pc2 can talk to each other and then the will go out via the respective modems.

Tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

That's what I have done Tippex and zoro.

But, I wanted to use eircom's modem(that is not configurable) directly on one of the pcs, without the need for router(cause I want to sell it), and have a second nic for the LAN... here's what I mean...
    untitled9rl.th.jpg

And here's what you guys are saying...
    untitledj6zx.th.jpg

P.S. sorry for the quick paint job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Well you can do either of those setups :)
    And in the second pic, it WILL work for either my example, or Tippex's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

But how do I configure the first setup?

Having 2 nics in a pc, how do I make it use one of them for lan and one of them for internet, especially that modem can't act as gateway :/

I think the first one won't work, it needs a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If the GW NIC on modem is using DHCP then use IPconfig to see what it's IP is or if it has a GW defined by DHCP. IF it has, then it just works, leave the other NIC GW empty.

OR if the Modem NIC has no GW defined by DHCP:
    The NIC with the modem is the GW, so leave its GW blank
    The other NIC that has the internal LAN on it, put the IP of the NIC with the modem. Both must be on separate Subnets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

CyberGhost wrote:
    But how do I configure the first setup?

Having 2 nics in a pc, how do I make it use one of them for lan and one of them for internet, especially that modem can't act as gateway :/

I think the first one won't work, it needs a router.
    Is it even possible to connect to 2 seperate networks with 2 nics in one PC?
    Does the eircom modem have a USB connection? That should work fine alongside the lan.

Advertisement