Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leagues Apart - Some Passionate Derbies Tonight 10.30 Network2

• 20-04-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Ardal O'Hanlon who stared in Father Ted is presenting a new show for RTE starting tonight at 10.30 on Network2. Its a show about some of the most passionate derbies in Football.......but for some reason there is no English games. Here is the website

http://www.rte.ie/tv/leaguesapart/index.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair play to RTE for ignoring the league of it's own country.

What about Bohs / Rovers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Thats what i thought when I saw the ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

seansouth wrote:

Dont think Bohs v Rovers is up there with the Barca v Madrid, Milan v Inter, Celtic v Rangers, any of the Argentina teams v each other, same goes for Mexico and Brazil where there are riots on and off the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Does not mean that they are not passionate, just that the fans are not animals who attack each other at the slightest provocation.

Does not mean that they are not passionate, just that the fans are not animals who attack each other at the slightest provocation.

Well knowing shock TV I bet its animals that RTE want. Like the world great sports crashs etc that is on most stations these days. Shock TV works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

MBC wrote:
    Ardal O'Hanlon who stared in Father Ted is presenting a new show for RTE starting tonight at 10.30 on Network2. Its a show about some of the most passionate derbies in Football.......but for some reason there is no English games.

I think rte have finally copped on to the fact that there is football that exists outside the British Isles and alot of people are sick of the same overrated product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seansouth wrote:
    Fair play to RTE for ignoring the league of it's own country.

RTE link wrote:
    "Leagues Apart with Ardal O'Hanlon" is a sporting travelogue with a quirky and humorous edge as Ardal travels around Europe visiting passionate soccer derbies in great historical cities featuring some of the top teams and players in the world.

In all fairness, they'd be stretching the imagination to describe a trip to Dublin as "travel". Still, it would be good to get an insight into our own soccer history at some point, we hear enough about Dublin/Kerry in the GAA and the great Munster Rugby team.

[edit]On the topic of soccer history, I work with loads of older guys who have cracking tales to tell of the special buses to Milltown in the 60s, 30,000 crowds at league games and all the rest. The game was full of real charcters then, a perfect tale to be told methinks.[/edit]

In all fairness, they'd be stretching the imagination to describe a trip to Dublin as "travel". Still, it would be good to get an insight into our own soccer history at some point, we hear enough about Dublin/Kerry in the GAA and the great Munster Rugby team.

If going to Dublin would like to see the Leinster v Munster Semi Final......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In all fairness, they'd be stretching the imagination to describe a trip to Dublin as "travel".
    Well, you've got me there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The full line up is -
    Ep1 - Athens (Olympiakos v Panathanaikos) - APRIL 20th
    Ep2 - Rotterdam (Feyenoord v Ajax) - APRIL 27th
    Ep 3 - Rome (Lazio v Roma) - MAY 4th
    Ep 4 - Krakow (Cracovia v Wisla Krakow) - MAY 11th
    Ep 5 - Barcelona (Barca v Real Madrid) - MAY 17th
    Ep 6 - Istanbul - (Fehnerbahce v Galatasaray) - MAY 24th

Odd no Celtic or Rangers in there, was at Feyenoord Ajax game few years ago and it wasnt that bad. And a PSV Ajax one, always thought the Amsterdam Eindhoven thing was much more volatile due to the ww2 leanings.

Utd and Leeds as well, war of the roses should get a mention. Krakow wtf? No Brazilian or any S American.

Did they just pick what they clips for in Google Video?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Looks like places Ardal went while inter-railing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KdjaC wrote:
    The full line up is -
    Ep1 - Athens (Olympiakos v Panathanaikos) - APRIL 20th
    Ep2 - Rotterdam (Feyenoord v Ajax) - APRIL 27th
    Ep 3 - Rome (Lazio v Roma) - MAY 4th
    Ep 4 - Krakow (Cracovia v Wisla Krakow) - MAY 11th
    Ep 5 - Barcelona (Barca v Real Madrid) - MAY 17th
    Ep 6 - Istanbul - (Fehnerbahce v Galatasaray) - MAY 24th

Odd no Celtic or Rangers in there, was at Feyenoord Ajax game few years ago and it wasnt that bad. And a PSV Ajax one, always thought the Amsterdam Eindhoven thing was much more volatile due to the ww2 leanings.

Utd and Leeds as well, war of the roses should get a mention. Krakow wtf? No Brazilian or any S American.

Did they just pick what they clips for in Google Video?

kdjac

I can just see the production meeting now.

"Can I go to South America?"
    "Do Ryan air go to South America?"
    "No"
    "Ardal you're not going to South America"
    "Can I go to Rome?"
    "Do Ryan air go to Rome?"
    "Yes"
    "Ok then"
    "Can I go to.........etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

KdjaC wrote:
    Krakow wtf?

kdjac

Yeah Kdjac I thought this as well when I read it this morning, but I was talking to a Polish colleague here and they said it was a vicious fixture; plenty of aggro and the like. It should be interesting at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Feyenoord V Axax is certainly fairly spicy -- scroll down on the following link (or search for Ajax) to see an account and some pictures of last years fixture (17/4/05) - large scale riots etc.

http://www.ultrasworld.com/news.htm

I've seen some of the footage, and the Greek game got heated too. It's amazing how it continued given the amount of flares/missles etc on the pitch & the amount of smoke in the stadium.

Worth a watch I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Cant believe they left out the biggest derby of all - Seville v Real Betis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I can just see the production meeting now.

"Can I go to South America?"
    "Do Ryan air go to South America?"
    "No"
    "Ardal you're not going to South America"
    "Can I go to Rome?"
    "Do Ryan air go to Rome?"
    "Yes"
    "Ok then"
    "Can I go to.........etc. etc.

Just what i was thinking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

for some reason - ardal controlled that ball like father dougal during the intro credits... :eek:

Was quite a good show actually, looking forward to the rest of them. Makes me wish Irish soccer "fans" were as passionate about domestic football as the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Watched a few minutes of it but had to turn it off (mainly due to not want to listen to any more Ardals ill-researched waffling anymore

For example in a bar with two Pana' supporters he launches into a 2minute story that he heard about Panathanikos's Irish connection and then concludes with , "eh that probably wasn't true anyway". So why waste TV time mentioning it then? :rolleyes:

No (according to Ardal) in reality it turns out Panathanikos got their Shamrock + Team Colours from some other club in Constantinople ... and eh thats it. Don't bother telling us how THAT club came to be or anything. Iirc I don't think he even mentioned their name either :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some strange choices in the games. No Boca Juniors v River Plate is all but unforgivable - it's probably the biggest derby in World football. And Barcelona and Real Madrid isn't even a derby! It's more akin to Liverpool v Manchester United, sure they're rivals, but it's not a derby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Such a bunch of moaners, i thought it was a decent show.
    Long live Dougal
    To be honest Celtic V Rangers aint that bad you never hear of too much trouble after those games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To be honest Celtic V Rangers aint that bad you never hear of too much trouble after those games

I assume you've never been in Glasgow for one then. It's like a ****ing warzone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The show was embarrassing.

Once I realised who was presenting it, I knew it would be crap.

"I picked up Rivaldo's daughter's blanket once, will he remember me?"

*cringe*

"How'd you get a shamrock for your crest?" ie are you the Greek Celtic?

*cringe*

They have other sports in the club too. Shocker!!!!

They even put Ronnie Whelan's name up first and explained he was ex-Liverpool while he was talking about Grrek football and he used to manage a Greek side.

Very poor.

I assume you've never been in Glasgow for one then. It's like a ****ing warzone.

Quoted for truth,Irish buses have to leave Glasgow the long way for a damn good reason.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I enjoyed the show and will be watching the rest of them. I'm not that big a TV critic and couldn't care how cringeworthy the small jokes that Ardal makes are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I watched the show last night but was a bit dissapointed in the lack of depth in the programme. Not as good a documentary as the BBC would do, say with Alan Hansen, or a C4 effort. I think Ardal, who I think is a decent bloke usually, laid out his credentials or lack of them early on when he said to his guide that he didnt know anything about football.

He's not the type of guy to make this series a top-class one and comedy and his style dont really mix with football at its intensest. Put him on a football show of bloopers/misses, etc by all means, and I'm sure he would get into that a lot more.

Still, it is something to tune into.

Some strange choices in the games. No Boca Juniors v River Plate is all but unforgivable - it's probably the biggest derby in World football. And Barcelona and Real Madrid isn't even a derby! It's more akin to Liverpool v Manchester United, sure they're rivals, but it's not a derby.

Yes, Boca and Plate is huge but the series is limited to matches in Europe, no doubt RTE budget constraints. I have no problem with the inclusion of Barca v Real since this is a match with as much rivalry as any local derby.

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_match

Teams dont have to be local to each other for the matches to hav a derby effect.

redspider

Barcelona and Espanyol is a bigger derby than Barcelona -v- Real, as I'm sure are the Madrid and Seville derbies.

Everyone knows about Real-Barca, it would be far more interesting to do one of the other rivalries.

Most Derbies are politically charged Real Barca is one of the biggest in that respect, but will they mention why?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

yes thats right MrJoeSoap, Espanyol and barcelona is one of the dodgiest fixtures out there!

• Advertisement

Reminder, its on tonight (in 20 mins).

Feyenoord -v- Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

would love to see the seville derby done. maybe scope for 2nd series as there are plenty more they could do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I saw the Ajax Feyenoord programme last night. This time Ardal knew more about it and it was a better programme, certainly watchable but by no means a classic. Also, the TV guy they interviewed would be like someone else interviewing Bill O'Herlihy, not exactly top-class credentials. A pity they didnt have more interviews with the likes of Cruijff or Van Basten. What I find strange about this series is that they have very little luck in their interviews and show Ardal trying and failing to interview people. That smacks of a poor production team. I think Ardal would still much prefer comedy to football (tragedy?).

I'll still watch the next one, and hope that it is better ..... Roma Lazio, isnt it. More of interest to Romans than the neutrals in general it has to be said.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be fair I don't think its just derbies, I think it was rivalries. I wouldn’t have bothered myself doing the Celtic Rangers game either as basically its been done to death. We all know the story and history behind it and do we really need to go through it again?

The question of premiership games came up. Please will you stop, prem games are childs play! For anyone who has ever been to a top European game knows how soft the mersyside games and united games etc… all are.

The show its self I don’t think is great. They are missing a lot of stuff and I echo redspiders comments on the production. If they are going to do this do it right and arrange previously to meet with Cruijff, Van Basten etc... Lasts night for example the Ajax – Fey game. He never mentioned the fact that the Feyenord fans have their own trainstation in Amsterdaam!!! On match day their fans are only allowed to travel on specially commissioned trains that get re routed to a private station beside the Areana where a sold iron tunnel takes them straight from the station to their closed off section of the ground. Basically they are brought in and brought out. This was not mentioned and this is a key point!!!

CH4 done a series like this a few years back and it was pure class. They talked about the Barca –v- Espanol, Barca –v- Real, Sociedad –v- Bilbao, Madrid derby, Milan derby, Rome derby, Juve –v- Turin (always a riot) and the great south American games. Boca, River, Independiente, Sao Paulo, Corinthians etc… They went into this history and back drop, why it’s a rivalry and why there is so much hatred and they dedicated about 20mins to the actual match and what happens in and around the stadium. That’s what he needs to do.

On the topic of EL derbies, please lads come on. Do we really want to see 40 lads having a shouting match?

redspider wrote:
    they have very little luck in their interviews and show Ardal trying and failing to interview people. That smacks of a poor production team.

He got to ask Rivaldo a couple of questions in the first show, which can't be easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

I only caught last night's show but i thought it was a fair effort. As much as people here would like it to a bit more in depth, it's trying to appeal to both non-football fans and football fans alike.

It does fall between the two stools to a certain extent - it's not entirely satisfying as a travelogue, not does in really get into the finer points of the game - but it's breezy and entertaining.

Not a show i'll be setting my video for, but if it's on i'll watch it.

• Advertisement

I saw a bit of this one and it wasn't as bad as last week imho. Although there was a lot of nonsense left in it too eg their "efforts" to get an interview with Marco Van Basten (ie walking into the room that MVB is in and asking him there & then for an interview. When he refuses and walks out then just immediately give up. However make sure this effort makes the edit irregardless as we've 30mins to fill here people!)

BTW , never realised Dougal was such a small fella. Van Basten looked about a foot taller than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads when is this repeated does anyone know?

I missed it thursday.

No mention on Digiguide of them being repeated, but I see the Greek episode is online (if you know where to find it :D ) so I guess the Dutch one will be up soon as well.

Advertisement