Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Affordable housing lottery to begin in May

• 20-04-2006 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/7886846?view=Eircomnet
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Dublin City Council will introduce its new lottery system next month in an effort to allocate 176 affordable homes among its waiting list of some 4,500 applicants.The new homes - mostly apartments - represent the first tranche of about 781 new homes the council hopes to allocate in the full year.
    Thought this would be of some intrest to people here.

[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

the_syco wrote:
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/7886846?view=Eircomnet

Thought this would be of some intrest to people here.

[/FONT]

Stupid system I thought, so what they are saying is that they can't allocate according to need, for example the 3 beds should go to those with at least 2 kids etc, which is exactly the single parent (for example) that shouldn't have to depend on luck for the house they need, obviously i don't know all the variables but surely there is a better allocation method that random blind luck, rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

sector wrote:
    Stupid system I thought, so what they are saying is that they can't allocate according to need, for example the 3 beds should go to those with at least 2 kids etc, which is exactly the single parent (for example) that shouldn't have to depend on luck for the house they need, obviously i don't know all the variables but surely there is a better allocation method that random blind luck, rediculous.
    It is affordable housing not state provided housing. These are private buyers being allowed buy private housing cheaper than normal. So why not let it go on luck. They have had to change the waiting lists for state housing as particular groups of people were being constantly being bumped everytime a tenager got pregnant and decided she should get her own place as the state will give it to her for free. Hard luck stories can be genuine but so many people abused the system it never really worked. Somethings are the nature of the beast rather than a direct persons fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Ya it's a fair system I think. I was always under the impression that it was under/= 30k you had to earn before you could apply...but happy to see it's 40k :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

sector wrote:

Its the single parent that has a few kids so she can get the house and then the father magical appears and moves in. I know it is not always the case but there is a hell of a lot doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

So is this a pure lottery now from now on, or do the points based on length of time on the list etc. still count for something?

• Advertisement

So is this a pure lottery now from now on, or do the points based on length of time on the list etc. still count for something?
    That is public housing you are talking about this is not the same. There are people here mixing up state provided housing and affordable housing.

No, I'm sure the city council has changed their procedures. There used to be a points-based system for affordable housing, back when they had the city divided into 4/5 areas. It was still in place in the middle of last year when I got myself on the list. The docklands Authority also had a points system before they were amalgamated into the current city council scheme. Or am I missing something?

Again I say I think you are mixing up two schemes although they can be connected to each other.

http://oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/affordable_housing_scheme.html

Affordable housing is not point based and to my knowledge never has been. As many people are on both lists they tend to think the points matters in affordable housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

U sure Morningstar?

I'd swore that when i had a look at DCC application form for affordable housing a few months ago, there was a points system in place.
    Fingal & SDCC dont have lottery system nor points system though.

Nearly 100% sure.
    Dun Laoghaire RathDown also do a lottery.
    THe forms you fill out probably include an approved point system evaluation but the point system is not being used by Dublin City Council. THere are two classes of affordable housing groups so maybe the point system applies to thouse already living in concil property.

If you look at how SDCC do it it is also a bit like a lottery as it is based on when you apply correctly that could mean if you filled it out wrong you lose. I don't know.

Fingal actually have houses still available so obviously a lower demand so no need for a lottery.

Demand makes the lottery fair if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Louisiana

the SDCC use a points system to reach approval level for the loan. once you have enough points to qualify you go into a pool and it becomes a lottery based on a "first come, first served" basis.

Louisiana wrote:
    the SDCC use a points system to reach approval level for the loan. once you have enough points to qualify you go into a pool and it becomes a lottery based on a "first come, first served" basis.
    I don't understand that at all, how can you have a lottery based on first come first served? One is based on being in a priority list and the other is random chance. Do you mean once you are approved for a certain type of housing it is then a lottery ie two bed places are in a lottery for those who qualify for the 2 beds. That is just a lottery with criteria for entry if so. Agfain I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

they should scrap affordable housing completely in my opinion. its driving up the cost of property in general and screwing everyone else (even those who get in but lose the lottery)in the process. thats one of the reasons adamstown properties were so dear, the developer just adds the cost to the others. virtually everyone in ireland is on in and around the cut off figures anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dingoxh

Hi
    Does any1 know has this lottery taken place yet? or when in may it is due to take place? any1 have any joy with it?
    thanks in advance if u reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Did anyone receive the affordable housing newsletter from Dublin City Council today?

The cheapest 1 bed is approx €180,000, add a parking space and it's up to €200,000.

Unfortunately for someone earning under 40K I don't think thats very affordable or am I wrong?

If you don't have significant savings, you can purchase under the shared ownership scheme. 40K would be enough for a 200K mortgage though AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

A mortgage is about all one could afford...

It's good that Dublin City Council is doing this, but it's getting to a stage where even affordable housing is out of reach for people on modest incomes.

If you look at the South County and Fingal Councils, they have similar schemes with less of a waiting time to get property which should be cheaper.

You have to have 6 months savings of around €700/800 per month to get on the South County Scheme, and 3 months for Fingal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you don't have significant savings, you can purchase under the shared ownership scheme. 40K would be enough for a 200K mortgage though AFAIK.

Think he meant that he does not earn 40k itself but is somewhere under the limit.
    His/her income could be anywhere from €1-€39,999 p.a. :)
    If you look at the South County and Fingal Councils, they have similar schemes with less of a waiting time to get property which should be cheaper.

You have to have 6 months savings of around €700/800 per month to get on the South County Scheme, and 3 months for Fingal.

What are the prices for Fingal?
    On their website, it only gives the likes of €197k for what looks like a 3 bed hse in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Is there a closing date for applications?

I couldnt see anything about it on the website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement