Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband in Charlesland?

Options
  • 20-04-2006 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

has anyone been able to get wireless broadband in charlesland.
    i know new ntl service is not available yet, and Ripwave by irishbroadband
    which are the most competitive on the market and neither need phone line
    or the aerial on roof.
    If anyone has any expereiences with it, can you let me know.

Many thanks

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I have Eircom Broadband and use their wireless modem. You would be better off getting your own wireless modem and adaptor (as Eircom don't supply the adaptor). The wireless modem they do have isn't great! Having said all that I have a land line as well with Smart.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Plenty wrote:
    I have Eircom Broadband and use their wireless modem. You would be better off getting your own wireless modem and adaptor (as Eircom don't supply the adaptor). The wireless modem they do have isn't great! Having said all that I have a land line as well with Smart.

Hope this heps

I think bloggj means wireless to the house, rather than an internal wireless network.

I don't think there is anyway (yet) to avoid some sort of landline or ariel in Charlesland. As far as I know, the NTL broadband depends on a proper cable connection to the houses, and we don't have that. We have a cable only as far as a central dish (MMDS). Shame, their broadband speeds are supposed to be very fast.

The Ripwave coverage is still quite poor, and extends nowhere near Charlesland. It is not a 100% reliable service, as even the router's proximity to a window can affect the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Ripwave will not be available to Charlesland in the near future. I have their standard Broadband service with the lovely Ariel on the roof and i have to say that I’m not overly impressed with the quality. It's constantly slowing down and on several occasions has stopped working altogether.
    That said.....when it does work it's great.

As for NTL Broadband, this service is reserved for those who have Optical cables running to the area. This is never going to be anywhere in Wicklow, so I’m afraid it’s antenna or phone line only for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BT - 2 mb DSL + line rental for €40 per month. AFAIK this is cheaper than IBB breeze. its very reliable and the speeds are consistent (though it is only 256k upstream).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

thank you.
    disappointed cant get ntl. its very quick and one of the most competitive.
    havent got a landline so wanted something that would not involve the phone!
    does anyone know if your landline isnt connected can you still install the likes of the BT broadband or Imagine....or do you need to actually have your phone hooked up!! (im not the most technical thing on the planet!):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

u need a phone line for bt\imagine

try www.magnet.ie

Advertisement