Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noise reduction through the attic

Options
  • 20-04-2006 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

To try to reduce noise from next door a friend suggested looking in my attic and soundproofing the dividing wall as apparently a lot of noise goes up and across. The dividing wall seems to be 9 inch block layed flat but it isn’t plastered. The survey I had done when I bought the house recommended sealing gaps between the roof and wall for fire purposes. The gaps weren’t apparent to me but I need to look a bit more closely. The dividing wall in the rest of the house has plasterboard attached to the brick, using the spot method. This is inadequate but I don't have the appetite for addressing this now.
    Any ideas on what is the best way of addressing both issues via the attic, i.e. seal the gaps and reduce the noise ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

use batons and insulated plasterboard in the attic?
    Or use two sheets of plasterboard if you dont want to spend money on plasterboard/insulation with good Acoustic properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If you believe the noise is travelling across the top of the party wall you might try "gun grade" fireproof expanding foam, if you push the felt up where it meets the wall and insert the nozzle into the gap you should get a fairly good seal.

If that makes a difference then you can budget for a coat of bonding on the wall.

Advertisement