Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leveling floors

Options
  • 20-04-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got an advice on leveling internal concrete floors - my builder is nearly finished just got the few pieces on his snag list and the floors is the main thing but he has been dragging his heels since he got the list.

Just wondering if its straight forward enough i would do it - and tell him i was going to do it to see would i give him the motivating kicks in the n*t's he needs.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

If someone told me they were going to do a job I was meant to do, I don't think it would motivate me. ;) Anyhoo, there's stuff called 'Self-Levelling Compound', kind of like elasticy cement. You can get it from a builder's providers. It levels to a depth of about 3mm which ain't that much but its easy to use, mix it up so its nice and runny and pour it on the floor - then let gravity do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Well the plan is to tell him if he can't do the jobs i will start and what i do i do and i will subtract mine time/work from what i owe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi sundula,

What may get a better result is to tell him you are getting another builder in to do the finishing work and you will deduct that cost from his final payment.

No di-respect but can you expect a builder to pay professional rates for a DIY job ?

Just food for thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

maybe so but the standard of the work is more my concern than the builders. Its just the fact its a job off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

there's stuff called 'Self-Levelling Compound', kind of like elasticy cement. You can get it from a builder's providers. It levels to a depth of about 3mm which ain't that much but its easy to use, mix it up so its nice and runny and pour it on the floor - then let gravity do the rest.

If you make it too thick it doesn't level too well. To get it to work I had to make it much more runny than it said on the pack. allow extra time for drying before laying a floor etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

mix it up so its nice and runny

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

sundula wrote:
    maybe so but the standard of the work is more my concern than the builders. Its just the fact its a job off the list.
    Hi sundula,
    I just thought you should be aware that levelling floors is usually the last interior snag attended to, as it needs up to 24hrs or overnight to set fully, and other tradesmen/ snaggers tend to walk in it when carrying out their snags. 'Standard of finish' isn't really an issue though, as it's going to be covered with your floor covering anyway!
    Best of luck with your new house!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement