Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous driving

Options
  • 20-04-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I nearly got rammed into last night, I was indicating to turn into the 2nd turn for the court, a black saab (v.old model) literally swung around the corner without stopping to look if anything was coming, he had to swerve to miss me. Its happened a few times driving towards the roundabout that people have pulled out with out looking and at speed. Its impossible to see if anything is coming with all the cars parked on the road, its not much to ask people to stop and look first of all, especially now as there are more kids out playing in the evenings..... grrr rant over!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

Agree with you, there are some dangerous f*ckers driving around the estate.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

this was brought up at the management meeting for charlesland court and it was discussed double yellow lines were to be put on the end corners. does anyone know if the cars parked in front of the 2 beds facing onto the green have an alternative place to park cars. for some reason,i dont think they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dalila

I have to agree, twice now I have actually seen people drive the WRONG way around the roundabout near superquinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

A few people in this estate think they are in Mondello the way they whizz around . Its worth noting that with the brighter evenings there will be lots of kids out and about, it would be terrible if there was an accident. I know speed bumps are a pain but maybe they are needed on the long stretch of road along the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there should be a 30km/h limit throughout the estate - there's only going to be more and more kids in the area as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

I hate to say it but i can't see anything bar speed bumps helping.
    If someone thinks speeding around a corner is okay or nipping around the roundabout the wrong way to save them 3 seconds, a speed limit isn't going to slow them down. These are the kind of people who live by the rule "it'll never happen to me".

Eoin,
    What are the rules towards "naming and shaming?"

Such as the blue opel corsa reg 98-W-123456 drove the wrong way around the round about 01/02/06 at 5pm.

Is there a point?

Or we could start an anti-ignorant driver club and arm ourselves with paint ball guns; I’ve seen a couple of good spots to camp out of sight. If anyone forgets to indicate we could pound them with orange paint balls. You can get paint grenades now too. If they re-offend i'm sure i can find a paint based bazooka and you could:confused: ................................sorry I’ll stop now..........

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ru wrote:
    Eoin,

Such as the blue opel corsa reg 98-W-123456 drove the wrong way around the round about 01/02/06 at 5pm.

Is there a point?

Good question, I know in the motors forum they don't tend to like putting reg numbers online, so would err on the side of caution here.

Also, given that this is a forum for a community, it could make potential posters here feel unwelcome if they see their reg plate here. Put up the make and model though maybe? Unless it's a blue Alfa 156 obviously.

eoin_s wrote:

Also, given that this is a forum for a community, it could make potential posters here feel unwelcome if they see their reg plate here.

Sorry Eoin but anyone who drives dangerously where there are kids about dosent deserve to be made welcome on here

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Ru wrote:
    I hate to say it but i can't see anything bar speed bumps helping.
    If someone thinks speeding around a corner is okay or nipping around the roundabout the wrong way to save them 3 seconds, a speed limit isn't going to slow them down. These are the kind of people who live by the rule "it'll never happen to me".

Eoin,

I have seen this car a few times, it comes from Charlesland Wood, the one with the big park. I had to swerve to avoid it one day when it came zooming out of the wood without even bothering to look right...maniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JKB

Totally agree on the lunatic drivers around. When you are turning from the roundabout up the Wood side of the green they are coming flying down the hill at you, middle of the road and don't even bother slowing down !! :mad: Would love to drive up the middle of the road to get them to slow down, but wouldn't risk my own car, as they obviously don't give a s**t about theirs let alone themselves or anyone else they way they drive...

I can't remember a blue corsa speficially, but will defo keep an eye out for it.... and while you have me all fired up, what is the big issue people have with using an indicator !!! obviously far too much trouble to bother letting everyone else know where they intend on going :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

mother of jaysus! I would hate to live in your estate you's never stop whining :rolleyes: and thats about all matters does nothing ever go right :D

cranoo wrote:
    mother of jaysus! I would hate to live in your estate you's never stop whining :rolleyes: and thats about all matters does nothing ever go right :D

nope................this is the modern way of chatting over the garden fence while hanging out the washing..........yunno stick on the drier and sit in front of the PC b1tching about the little thinks in life that pi55 you off but nothing will ever come of it..............unless herself indoors (sexist pig aren't i) lets me get that paintball gun..........i tell ya now...... a sunday afternoon with a few beers will have just about brave enough to take afew pot shots at passing black Saab's

Just to clear up that i have NOT seen a lunatic blue corsa driving around..it was an example.

However if someone is driving around in a blue opel corsa with the
    reg 98-W-1235678..........what are the chances of that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Johnc72 wrote:
    eoin_s wrote:

Also, given that this is a forum for a community, it could make potential posters here feel unwelcome if they see their reg plate here.

Sorry Eoin but anyone who drives dangerously where there are kids about dosent deserve to be made welcome on here

I agree with Johnc72 if there are people out there driving irresponsibly then they should be named and shamed . The idiot in the Opel corsa will find him/herself wrapped around a pole someday and people like that need a good kick up the arse!! There are too many kids in this estate and if they are going to drive like that, they should be reported to police as soon as possible. It should not be tolerated by anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 face-the-phase

This is kind of irelevent but kind of not! I have a friend in greystones and i worry about her safety and mainly the safety of others. She drives and is a complete and utter maniac on the road's she drives around the back roads at speeds of up to 80miles!!! To make this relevent she is from greystones and would be driving through charlesland some times. She has alot of mental health problems but it seems not enough to stop her driving. We have told her parents before and she stopped driving for a while but is driving now for the past 7/8 months i'd say. No one wants to get in the car with her. How can u stop someone like this driving? :( she is waiting on 2 points at the monent for speeding but she's still on the road and shes an accident waiting to happen :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

This is kind of irelevent but kind of not! I have a friend in greystones and i worry about her safety and mainly the safety of others. She drives and is a complete and utter maniac on the road's she drives around the back roads at speeds of up to 80miles!!! To make this relevent she is from greystones and would be driving through charlesland some times. She has alot of mental health problems but it seems not enough to stop her driving. We have told her parents before and she stopped driving for a while but is driving now for the past 7/8 months i'd say. No one wants to get in the car with her. How can u stop someone like this driving? :( she is waiting on 2 points at the monent for speeding but she's still on the road and shes an accident waiting to happen :confused:

Rob her keys. Failing that call the police next time she gets into a car and tell them you saw a someone driving like a lunatic. Give them the car reg and model.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I felt like I was in modello myself on Sunday afternoon, I had serve to avoid some idiot who came flying down the middle of the road from the cresent/court, he just flew on down the road and didnt slow at the roundabout.....(blue car). Thankfully I was in my full senses otherwise I would have lost the side of my car, either hitting him or the kerb!! The speeding is bad enough but we really only one lane since half of the road is blocked with cars

And don't get me started on that fella that parks his white van right around the corner on Charlseland Court 2, I mean come on, are you stupid?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

That white van drives me nuts! And as for the black Saab, could that have possibly been a black BMW. Cause one forced my friend to slam into the kerb and slice his type open!
    I know everyone's said it, with the increase in kids its inevitable that one will appear from behind a parked car in the central area, its just a matter of will they be seen in time!
    Why were the main roads made so narrow anyway!? Its not like theres a lack of space there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Driving in charlesland is bloody ridiculous...
    People you all know who you are...

The roundabout, would you all mind looking before you pull onto it...
    There will be an accident on it at the rate you all drive.

Coming down along the green:
    When pulling out from the estates please look as well, twice ive had the ABS kisk in because of some idiot just pulling out in front of me!
    (silver golf, woman driver.)
    I have your reg and i will be giving it to the gards.
    and i also know im not the only person you've done it to.

Sorry about that Rant over.

As for the parking on the front street along the green.
    As far as i know there is assigned parking for a lot of the apts, but not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi guys,

I thought I'd add to this thread as I know some people haven't a clue and others just drive correctly but haven't noticed the errors other people make.

I am asking for everyone's help here and to drive more carefully.

WHEN USING ROUNDABOUTS, please be in the CORRECT LANE.

If you are taking the last exit (right turn off the roundabout) please approach in the right hand lane. It is INCORRECT to approach in the left lane for the 3rd exit. Consult the rules of the road if you don't agree. I was on my motorbike one afternoon and some guy almost killed me because he hadn't a clue how to use the roundabout. It is only a matter of time before we have a death on our local road.

If you find a driver is using the wrong lane, use your horn to warn them that they are going to cause a crash. Your horn on the car is for warning people of a potential accident and I wouldn't consider this road rage!

WHEN USING ROUNDABOUTS, please INDICATE.

If you are unsure how to signal on a roundabout please buy a copy of the rules of the road from the department of environment. If you drive, you should know how to use a roundabout correctly. If you are a learner driver, you still have no reason not to know how to use roundabouts correctly as your full-licensed driver accompanying you will tell you where you may have made a mistake.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

If anybody up here knows who owns the red transit parked at the junction of the second entrance to the wood could you pass on the message that he definitely going to cause an accident as nobody can see anything exiting the wood with him parked there every morning.I almost got whacked this morning. On top of that he is parking illegally despite the lack of yellow lines its illegal to park within 4 metres of a junction /side road.If an accident happens hes going to end up liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote:
    Hi guys,

I thought I'd add to this thread as I know some people haven't a clue and others just drive correctly but haven't noticed the errors other people make.

I am asking for everyone's help here and to drive more carefully.

WHEN USING ROUNDABOUTS, please be in the CORRECT LANE.

If you are taking the last exit (right turn off the roundabout) please approach in the right hand lane. It is INCORRECT to approach in the left lane for the 3rd exit. Consult the rules of the road if you don't agree. I was on my motorbike one afternoon and some guy almost killed me because he hadn't a clue how to use the roundabout. It is only a matter of time before we have a death on our local road.

If you find a driver is using the wrong lane, use your horn to warn them that they are going to cause a crash. Your horn on the car is for warning people of a potential accident and I wouldn't consider this road rage!

WHEN USING ROUNDABOUTS, please INDICATE.

If you are unsure how to signal on a roundabout please buy a copy of the rules of the road from the department of environment. If you drive, you should know how to use a roundabout correctly. If you are a learner driver, you still have no reason not to know how to use roundabouts correctly as your full-licensed driver accompanying you will tell you where you may have made a mistake.

enough with the preachy tone guys - only a tiny fraction of the people who live in charlesland use this board. the chances of the people you're complaining about reading this are pretty slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

loyatemu wrote:
    enough with the preachy tone guys - only a tiny fraction of the people who live in charlesland use this board. the chances of the people you're complaining about reading this are pretty slim.

Hear Hear..
    Bertie - as per the above chances are red van driver has not seen this. If you see it parked illegally again then call the clampers..Alternatlvely knock on the door..
    Some people do drive like maniacs - a sad fact of life, but setting out the rules of the road to the 95% of us that drive properly is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

loyatemu wrote:

Well Loyaltemu, it may only be a tiny fraction but at least I'm trying to bring some awareness about this deadly issue.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Bertie wrote:
    If anybody up here knows who owns the red transit parked at the junction of the second entrance to the wood could you pass on the message that he definitely going to cause an accident as nobody can see anything exiting the wood with him parked there every morning.I almost got whacked this morning. On top of that he is parking illegally despite the lack of yellow lines its illegal to park within 4 metres of a junction /side road.If an accident happens hes going to end up liable.

Bertie, I know exactly where you are talking about. I've noticed that the apartment it's parked by is up for sale. Sit tight, hopefully it won't be for much longer:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Did anybody see that guy in the yello ferrari? He was taking it pretty handy, but its usually a matter of time before some pleb sees him and tries to race him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bloggj

myself and my partner are constantly having the same debate about the roundabout at superquinn so i decided to go back to basics and check out the rules of the road:

http://www.lireland.com/index.html

So if coming into charlesland

Stay in left hand lane if you are going left into Superquinn, left if you are taking the second exit to left of the green, up towards the grove and the park.
    If taking any further exits ie 3rd (to head up towards Court) or
    4th into Charlesland Wood - you should be in the right lane approaching the roundabout!!!!

U see ...u learn something new every day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Hey folks,
    in answer to some previous queries re the cars parked in front of the apartments by the green, all of them (us) do have one designated parking space to the rear but due to the fact that very few housleholds will have only one car there is no alternative to parking the second car to the front. in fairness though i don't think that parking there is really causing the problems. it's sheer inconsiderate driving, mainly speeding, that is, and if there were no cars parked to the front then the driving speeds would probably increase.
    just my opinion though.
    oink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

In relation to roundabouts, I understand clearly what Bloggj says.

But if there are only 2 exits from a roundabout what should one do? Use the left lane for taking the first exit fair enough, but which lane should one use for the final/second exit?

Advertisement