Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Center - S3 Standby & Wake On Lan

• 20-04-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

So I've had my Media Center up and running for a few months now but just can't get my head around how to get it to go into S3 Standby after a period of idle time while ensuring it will wake up for recordings (and sleep after if idle) and also wake on LAN activity (i.e. when my xbox 360 wants to login or I want to login to WebGuide3 over the web).

I've seen some massive threads on this on other forums and have even installed the MCE Standby app but no joy and its too much info....what I need is an overview of what needs to be done...at least then I can focus on certain areas to investigate.

Using MCE 2005 and my motherboard is an Abit AN8 Fatal1ty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I cant say I know of a solution. But does your system never go into standby at all ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi frank,
    taking a break from the extension ???:D

this is what I did.
    Changed the bios to s3 and did the reg edit also.
    The systen did go into se standby but only when I hit the power button on the remote.
    I tried everything -- sound off, no wireless, feck all running and nothing :confused:
    I really did not know what to do as I was turning the pc off and on everytime I wanted to do anything.
    So I eventually installed "the hibernator" from the Auzzie mce forum.
    this acts as a screen saver and monitors the pc as a normal ss would.
    After it powers up to record - the pc is above a threshold value of work and so the ss does not kick in. after recording has finished -the pc is idle and below the threshold value and powers off to S3
    I have had no problems with this hibernator and the whole pc is working flawlessly since.

have no info on the lan yet - will be trying this over next two weeks though.

hope this helps
    karl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

nah, a break is only something I can dream of at this stage Karl :) which is why I've only a little time to look into this stuff.

Will have to check if its ever going into standby, only tried it a few times. Will give that hibernator a go so, cos it might work where MCE Standby has failed. Will let you know, nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

This is what I have setup to go into standby
    Bios-> S3 enabled
    AMD CPU driver installed
    Minimal Power Management selected under power schemes in the control panel->power options.

That's it, now I'm running with C&Q so maybe that has some effect on it but the system isn't even set to go into standby in the control panel/power options but it does on its own after a while strange...

Also an interesting blog entry that covers the topic of Windows MCE Insomnia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

There's another file I can't find right now that helped me. It's a simple exe file that you use with a flag for the type of standby you want - fans on/off etc.

I think it's called deemoo or something, I have it at home, I'll get it and post it here.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Here it is, give it a go.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

Then run it as follows from a command prompt.

run dumppo.exe admin minsleep=S3

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

There should really be an extra option: Close Media Center, Shutdown, Restart, Standby, Standby After Recording, Logoff.

Something like that would be useful... Hibenator works well but it is still a bit erratic.

Advertisement