Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel 3 Day Test Drive - Need a credit card

Options
  • 20-04-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

:( Opel 3 Day Test Drive - Need a credit card :(

Am not happy at all, just because I dont have a credit card I cant get a car. I registered and got the call back from the call centre. I explained that I was fully comp but seemingly you need a credit card in case of damage to the car.

Sorry but I know people here took the car for 3 days and didnt put a scratch on it but admitted themselves that they drove the **** out of it.

I have 99 Astra and would really love to give the new car a go coz I really like the one I have. Has anyone else had this problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I don't think that's particularly unfair.
    It's pretty generous offering a 3 day test drive, and obviously there are some Ts&Cs.
    Can you take the car for a "regular" test drive, without a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well, they couldn't charge your credit card without your permission anyway so it's a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's not unfair at all. If you were lending someone you didn't know a new car, wouldn't you want to know that the excess on the policy was covered?

Sleipnir wrote:
    Well, they couldn't charge your credit card without your permission anyway so it's a bit pointless.

I think the idea is that you give them permission in advance.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Anan1 wrote:
    I think the idea is that you give them permission in advance.;)

The penny has landed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Why not just use your parents cred card or even get a credit card....sure you need one to buy stuff online anyway....how you get by without one is a mystery lol
    I got an Astra Sporthatch for a weekend last year....drove the bollox out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Do you have the option of leaving a cash deposit? I'd imagine if this option exists the deposit will be hefty.

I don't think it's unfair as even though you are fully comp your policy will have an excess. Opel are just ensuring that they will be reimbursed for any damage to the car while it is in your care. I think it's quite fair and reasonable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kluivert wrote:
    Am not happy at all, just because I dont have a credit card I cant get a car. I registered and got the call back from the call centre. I explained that I was fully comp but seemingly you need a credit card in case of damage to the car.

You are probably fully comp on your own car, but most policies only give you 3rd party on another car - and that's not even motor trade cars. Did they say under whose policy you would be driving the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm not surprised. You cannot hire a car from most Car Hire firms either without either a credit card or a company account. (The latter is much more fun!!)

eoin_s wrote:
    You are probably fully comp on your own car, but most policies only give you 3rd party on another car - and that's not even motor trade cars. Did they say under whose policy you would be driving the car?

I'd be almost certain they'd change the policy over to the new car. Any time I've ever taken a car from a garage, this is what they've done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Am not saying that its unfair it is I agree with the reasons why they are asking. Its just a shame thats all.

Ill never get a credit card - debit card yeah but credit cards are a joke in my opinion. However I suppose in the right hands they are ok.

Awh well like it was said before Ill go for a ten minute test drive instead lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, I think the Opel 3 day test drive was basically a standard car hire agreement but without charging a rental fee. Most car hire companies would not entertain you without a credit card. They are just covering themselves against damage to the vehicle while it is in your possession.

They said it was for security purposes and in the event of any damage to the car and yes its a car rental, you only pick the car up at the dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

why not throw €50 on a 3v voucher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

hi im interested in this.but the question is would they let you test drive the new astra opc.its such a beautiful car.

also is there any other terms and condition.and i have read that people did this last year but did they have any problems and did the dealer make them buy the car when they are finished the test drive:D

also how long is this offer going to run for.

Till the 30th June

kluivert wrote:
    Till the 30th June

omg thats great as my exams finish 24th may , last year i called them and i had to be 21 but now im 21 and going to take advantage.cannot wait.

also the question is they say pic the car.can i pick the new opc.i can tell them im interested in buying it as i really am thinking of buying a gti and the opc is the competitor.

what do you guys think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

drdre wrote:
    omg thats great as my exams finish 24th may , last year i called them and i had to be 21 but now im 21 and going to take advantage.cannot wait.

also the question is they say pic the car.can i pick the new opc.i can tell them im interested in buying it as i really am thinking of buying a gti and the opc is the competitor.

what do you guys think:D
    No not gonna happen...they just have a fleet of cars that you can pick from .....no way are they gona give your a VXR/OPC
    Only thing to note is that you need to have fully comp insurance policy so they can transfer your cover over on to the car for the 3 days.
    However if you tell them that you are insured with Quinn Direct, then they will put you on their own policy (reason being QD charge a fee to transfer you on to the car for the 3 days, other insurance companies don't)

fletch wrote:
    No not gonna happen...they just have a fleet of cars that you can pick from .....no way are they gona give your a VXR/OPC
    Only thing to note is that you need to have fully comp insurance policy so they can transfer your cover over on to the car for the 3 days.
    However if you tell them that you are insured with Quinn Direct, then they will put you on their own policy (reason being QD charge a fee to transfer you on to the car for the 3 days, other insurance companies don't)

alright i didnot know they just choose from a bunch of car.i thought any car thats there;) .i have fully comp with hibernian so should be ok.
    thanks

Advertisement