Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gimp

Options
  • 20-04-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

No ... not you :)

But I've a question about gimp .. how many people out there are using it ?

Damn quite possibley this kinda poll has been done before.

I'm mainly asking as I'm stuck in a situation where I've no alternative at work due to the budget and I'm finding it hell to use ... I use gimp over paint shop pro because I don't really like either one too much they just aren't quite as polished as photoshop

What graphics package do you use? 34 votes

Photoshop
    0% 0 votes
    Paint Shop Pro
    58% 20 votes
    Corel
    8% 3 votes
    GIMP
    5% 2 votes
    Other (Please specify)
    26% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Also, MsPAint and some 3d packages. Gimp is good, dont drop it yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

tba wrote:
    Also, MsPAint and some 3d packages. Gimp is good, dont drop it yet..

I admit its good for what it is ... its got a lot of features ... maybe its just a case of being used to Photoshop (I remember how long it took when I started using that to get used to it all) and I know there's gimpshop which I haven't gotten around to installing yet .. maybe that'll give it a more photoshop feel ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I really don't know if the gimp is as powerful as photoshop, but I never had any problems with it. I know not of ths gimpshop link me...!

http://www.gimpshop.com/

Its always in the last place you look :P

just installed it ... enabled the short cuts .. and suddenly I'm liking it a lot more :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

use gimp on the lappy, pscs2 on the home pc, my lappy is quite slow and gimp runs nice on it so its there for that, not mad bout it tbh, good for basic stuff tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Use Gimp when I'm working in Linux (which is where I tend to do my work) but I'm forced (by my own failing?) to boot into Windows and use Photoshop for anything requiring any sort of polish.

Among other things, I really can't get the hang of Gimp's path tool - at all. What do you have to press to manipulate a single point on a curve?!

I actually like the Gimp's interface (wouldn't go as far as to call it preferable, but I like it), it's the lack of features like decent paths, shapes and layer styles (outline, drop-shadow, etc. -- pretty much essential when designing the look of a website) that get me.

And simple things like how it deals with layers bugs me too -- making them the width and height of the document, instead of the layer content or making me drag the layer I've directly clicked on, instead of the one selected in the dialog.. stuff like that.

You could argue that I've just become far too acustomed to Photoshop, but that doesn't stop me when it comes to using many other graphics packages. Gimp still just feels very 'clunky', which isn't what you (or at least I) want from such a piece of software.

That said, it's still good enough to use when Photoshop isn't around.

But I'll give up the kingdom for a Photoshop Linux port.

Did you ever try wine to get it working :) a nice bottle .. and who knows whats possible ? :)

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=2631

Advertisement