Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf 1.4 170bhp TSI turbo-supercharged

Options
  • 20-04-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

This should bring in 22.5% or 25% VRT instead of the the usual 30% on the GTI. Also reduced annual road tax. It will highlight Irelands out of date car tax system.

It replaces the 2.0FSI 150bhp which currently retails from €27,935.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=14412

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I cant see the insurance companies going easy on the premiums though, but you never know.

Well done to VW though for producing a great wee car.

Just looking at the starting price as per the link, its the same price as the Vauxhall Astra VXR.

Give me the VXR any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This has been covered here before afaik.

But the 1.4 TFSi will only be available in GT trim level as a "luke warm" alternative to the GTi. Expect to see it costing around €30k - €31k here. Insurance will probably be expensive also since it has almost 170bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

im waiting for this to come to ireland.i have heard from 3 different dealers thats its not coming here yet.

so has anyone got any news of when it will be here
    as im deciding of getting this or gti.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    as im deciding of getting this or gti.

Hold off for a couple of years on the TSI anyway, there are bound to be teething problems with all the complicated stuff.

maidhc wrote:
    Hold off for a couple of years on the TSI anyway, there are bound to be teething problems with all the complicated stuff.

thats exactly what my dad said he said its better get a 05 gti instead of the new 1.4 tsi.just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

170 BHP from a 1.4! woah

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ando wrote:
    170 BHP from a 1.4! woah

I was saying the same, nice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It will likely go the way of the RX8 where some new status will be dreamt up by one of the Revenue Commissioners.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    It will likely go the way of the RX8 where some new status will be dreamt up by one of the Revenue Commissioners.

They will have a job to come up with an excuse though; it is a conventional engine unlike the Mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I predict a turbo-tax...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ando wrote:
    170 BHP from a 1.4! woah

It is indeed. Interestingly Honda had something like 158bhp from the 1.6 VTi in the Civic back in the early 1990s, no turbo or super charger fitted.

It would be great if VW could drop the turbo or super charger off the TFSi and have say a 100bhp or 110bhp version replace that sluggish 1.4 75bhp engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

bazz26 wrote:
    It would be great if VW could drop the turbo or super charger off the TFSi and have say a 100bhp or 110bhp version replace that sluggish 1.4 75bhp engine.
    They did that in the Fabia - 100bhp 1.4. Bizarrely, they sold it alongside a 115bhp 2.0L fabia. Why would anyone want an underpowered 2.0 engine in a supermini?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 100bhp 1.4 unit was also fitted to the Polo 16V, and the 06 Seat Ibiza and Cordoba

im really getting excited over this car.can someone that works in a vw garage find out and tellme if it is going to be available here or not.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

colm_mcm wrote:
    The 100bhp 1.4 unit was also fitted to the Polo 16V, and the 06 Seat Ibiza and Cordoba

Also the Megane has an almost 100BHP 1.4L 16V engine (98Bhp) Which suprises me that the 1.4 16V has only 75Bhp on the golf engine.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    Also the Megane has an almost 100BHP 1.4L 16V engine (98Bhp) Which suprises me that the 1.4 16V has only 75Bhp on the golf engine.

Hj

yeah its so annoying as i paid 24888 euro for a 1.4 golf:rolleyes: .and its only 75bhp.:mad: it should be way more as the money paid is high compared to other brands

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    This has been covered here before afaik

It was indeed. Can't seem to easily find the link to it though...
    bazz26 wrote:
    nterestingly Honda had something like 158bhp from the 1.6 VTi in the Civic back in the early 1990s, no turbo or super charger fitted

Yes and fair play to Honda for achieving that, but the high bhp figure from a small 4 pot N/A engine doesn't mean much in real life (outside of a racing track). Torque is crap and to use the available power the engine must be kept revved near the 7k or 8k rpm all the time

Supercharger, turbocharger a 1.4 engine.

God that would be a nightmare of an engine to work on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

drdre wrote:
    yeah its so annoying as i paid 24888 euro for a 1.4 golf:rolleyes: .and its only 75bhp.:mad: it should be way more as the money paid is high compared to other brands

u were robbed drdre, we paid 25500 for a new golf 1.6fsi 5door comfortline with 6 speed tiptronic auto option..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Am I the only person on the planet who hasent heard about this car? Anyway it sounds great. As for reliability I dont think I wouldnt worry. Superchargers and turbocharges have been around for ages. THis engine will hopefully appear in the A4 too.

I've heard that mercedes are bringing out a car with no less then three turbo chargers. Tri-Turbo just sounds so nice.

• Advertisement

I've heard that mercedes are bringing out a car with no less then three turbo chargers. Tri-Turbo just sounds so nice.

Wait until Gilette start making engines!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

maidhc wrote:
    Wait until Gilette start making engines!
    Then you'll have a more expensive new model out a year later, identical except for an extra lubricating strip. And then Wilkinson Sword enter with a quad turbo..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Impressive, but....
    I'm not sure it will do too well - why woud you get this over a GTi?
    If you're paying €31k for a Golf, why not pay €35k? Looks like insurance won't be much different (although motor tax certainly will).

lomb wrote:
    u were robbed drdre, we paid 25500 for a new golf 1.6fsi 5door comfortline with 6 speed tiptronic auto option..

i got beige leather, sunroof,arm rest as extra.thats why its expensive.
    but at the time i was getting the car the main problem was insurance but now im building up my noclaims so i can get a better car soon eg gti:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

fjon wrote:
    Impressive, but....
    I'm not sure it will do too well - why woud you get this over a GTi?
    If you're paying €31k for a Golf, why not pay €35k? Looks like insurance won't be much different (although motor tax certainly will).

Fuel and annual road tax are two regular charges that people are keen to reduce, both will be a lot less than with the 2L GTi.

Also the VRT rate is 22.5% on a 1.4 as compared with 30% on a 2.0. However I wonder will VW just counter that with a higher asking price, I suspect they well.

Price and trim will decide how well the car does in Ireland. I'd be interested in one at the right price, and if it wasn't poverty spec. I think they must price this under €30k, otherwise it'll be creeping up to the GTi and people will fail to see the advantage.

Now what we all REALLY want to see is that engine make it into an Octavia.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

PauloMN wrote:
    Now what we all REALLY want to see is that engine make it into an Octavia.... :)

Or a Fabia;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

On the 75bhp thing - selling a modern heavy car with 75bhp out of a 1.4 litre is nothing short of scandalous. Mind you, it's not so long they were selling 60bhp Golfs with 1.4 litres.

But seriously, in this day and age.... 75bhp in a new Golf is mad. I had a 1990 registered Rover 414 which produced 103bhp from a 1.4 in a lighter car - 16 years ago? Crazy that they get away with it, but this is Ireland of course.

Actually I'd like to see how much polution a 75bhp 1.4 produces when being driven hard to keep a heavy car up with the traffic as compared with a 1.6 FSi or similar. We really should start taxing cars like they do in the UK - on CO2 emmissions.

PauloMN wrote:
    Crazy that they get away with it, but this is Ireland of course.

To be fair, the fact that a 1.4 Golf engine only produces 75bhp has little to do with this being Ireland.

Anan1 wrote:
    To be fair, the fact that a 1.4 Golf engine only produces 75bhp has little to do with this being Ireland.

The fact they can get away with selling it here though certainly does, that was my point. Sift through the pages of a UK Autotrader or similar and see how many 1.4 litre Golfs you can find.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote:
    The fact they can get away with selling it here though certainly does, that was my point. Sift through the pages of a UK Autotrader or similar and see how many 1.4 litre Golfs you can find.

AFAIK, the 1.4 Golf is sold all over Europe. The days of the Irish only buying base model cars are now well and truly over.

Advertisement