Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf 1.4 170bhp TSI turbo-supercharged

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Anan1 wrote:
    AFAIK, the 1.4 Golf is sold all over Europe. The days of the Irish only buying base model cars are now well and truly over.

no the days are not over.check out carzone.ie and check out the forecourts theres loads of base models and 1.4 models.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anan1 wrote:
    AFAIK, the 1.4 Golf is sold all over Europe. The days of the Irish only buying base model cars are now well and truly over.

Yes, it is sold outside of Ireland. But look at the percentages of 1.4 litre Golfs here compared with even our closest neighbours. Search Carzone, then search a UK car site. About 10% of the UK ones are 1.4s, about 75-80% I'd say here are 1.4s.

Don't entirely agree that the days of Irish buying base models are over though. Take the Avensis and Vectra, both available with 1.6 litre engines in good ol' Ireland, not available with 1.6 litres in the UK. Either of them. Both huge sellers in the UK, but obviously they wouldn't be in 1.6 litre form.

Like I say, let's start taxing based on CO2 rather than engine size. Why should someone who needs a family car feel forced into a 1.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Anan1 wrote:

Oh god no... You Couldn't be more wrong. Take a trip over to the UK and you will find you're self suprised and the standard of spec people put on their cars over there. Their standard is WAY above ours and people argue that its not But I am telling you I can thik the same alot of the time but when ever I go over ( Quite often ) I look at the cars and I say, WOW. Even just taking for eg a Ford Mondeo or an even Mercedes E200 .. They will have whooping specs on them Like Xenon's, Large alloys, Leather and they look stunning. Or even the Passat, 98% here are you're bog standard 1.9TDI. The sight of 2L TDI's are very rare over here... Take a trip to the UK and you'll have no shortage over there, Plenty Of High line 2L TDI's. Just another example. I couldn't stress anymore how the standard of our cars is so poor here. Most of our cars here are quite plane. Some amazing cars over there...

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

PauloMN wrote:
    Yes, it is sold outside of Ireland. But look at the percentages of 1.4 litre Golfs here compared with even our closest neighbours. Search Carzone, then search a UK car site. About 10% of the UK ones are 1.4s, about 75-80% I'd say here are 1.4s.

The UK is only one country in Europe, and an unusual one in that they have so many company cars.

Anan1 wrote:
    The UK is only one country in Europe, and an unusual one in that they have so many company cars.

what are you talking about:D , 1.4 and base models are still in demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Anan1 wrote:

I know this is outside Europe, But I know of several people in the US who own passats and if you mentioned to them about owning a 1.9TDI you'd be laughed at. Their standard is even higher and yes I know its the US but I am just saying... They'd be after either a 2.5L TDi or the 3.2L Petrol. But I know this is the US.

Hj

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anan1 wrote:

But across Europe, it gets even more pronounced than the UK. I doubt you'll see many 1.4 Golfs in France or Germany for example, even less than you will in the UK.

I'm not going to argue about it, it's a fact that here in Ireland base trim lowest engine capacity models are the most in demand. Just look around, look at the cars for sale and you will see this yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Three words:

Vee
    Or
    Tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Dre you were out of your mind putting full leather into a 1.4 car in fairness.. ;)

Nothing wrong with havin leather. slightly better than spending €2000 extra on getting a proper engine in the Golf,

• Advertisement

I would've thought it would be the other way around Colm, no?

How many 1.4 cars do you see with a €2,400 factory option of leather added?

Big Balls wrote:
    Dre you were out of your mind putting full leather into a 1.4 car in fairness.. ;)

i know i was out of my mind BUT i couldnot get cheap insurance so i thought i would splash out on leather instead until my car which will be soon.i was trying to get my insurance down and now it is so hopefully get gti or this new 1.4 170bhp.(if it ever comes out here) and will still get the leather as its nice with the heated seats:D

I would rather have a 1.4 with leather on my forecourt than a 1.6.

Why should you not have some luxury just because you have a small engine.
    You wouldn't like the Megane Monaco or Corolla Sol then, Satnav Leather Climate etc. and a 1.4 engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

colm_mcm wrote:
    I would rather have a 1.4 with leather on my forecourt than a 1.6.

Why should you not have some luxury just because you have a small engine.
    You wouldn't like the Megane Monaco or Corolla Sol then, Satnav Leather Climate etc. and a 1.4 engine

The Peugeot 206 Roland Garros being another prime example. drdre, if your Golf was automatic you could do quite nicely selling it to a retired executive who's come out of a big luxury car with leather and wants something small and comfortable.

colm_mcm wrote:

No, I most certainly wouldn't. A to B cars don't interest me in the slightest.

And there's a big difference between speccing a 1.4 with an optional extra worth over €2,000 and a car having the things you list as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I son't see why eberyone slates the 1.4 golf so much. I bought one in january and have never found it wanting when overtaking, and very comfortable on motorways. Most of my driving is on country roads and it doesn't struggle at any time, or when the trailer is behind it. Obviously a 1.8 will be quicker, but the roads in this country don't really lend themselves to powerful cars anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Wow! Hats off to the VAG group to produce such a thing....that rocks.

FSI is a seriously good engine, offering a touch higher power than a normal version of engine, but far better economy and response.

As for the comment about the Civic VTi, I had one and sold it unfortunately...1.6 16Ba2 167bhp engine, 150 lb.ft torque, 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and faster than a BMW 323Ci (2.5 litre) ....thats some normally-aspirated engineering!

Now I drive a Diesel A6 1.9tdi 130bhp (240lb/ft torque) and am amazed at the return in fuel economy, 400 miles for 40 litres, about 47mpg.

This 1.4 is nice mix of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ba$tard wrote:
    Civic VTi, I had one and sold it unfortunately...1.6 16Ba2 167bhp engine, 150 lb.ft torque, 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and faster than a BMW 323Ci (2.5 litre)

Not quite. On paper the acceleration figures for the Civic might be close enough (ovbiously top speed is no where near the BMW) but in practice, the tiny amount of torque - again no where near 150lbft, more like 150NM - doesn't help the Honda that also needs to be revved to racing car levels before it would even get out of its bed

Interesting car though, that VTI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have been wondering for years why someone hasn't tried this idea before. I remember years back there was some car which had bi turbo but one smaller than the other to help reduce lag.

Kudos to VW - this is a proper move forward for motoring imo. Maybe we will lament the death of big engined cars a bit less in the future.

I look forward to pretending to be interested in buying one of these and taking it for a spin at my local vag dealer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

RobAMerc wrote:
    I have been wondering for years why someone hasn't tried this idea before. I remember years back there was some car which had bi turbo but one smaller than the other to help reduce lag.

Kudos to VW - this is a proper move forward for motoring imo. Maybe we will lament the death of big engined cars a bit less in the future.

I look forward to pretending to be interested in buying one of these and taking it for a spin at my local vag dealer ;)

It has already been done before, Nissan did it with the March Superturbo...

• Advertisement
Advertisement