Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel-Nut "Security"

Options
  • 20-04-2006 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hello

bought a 2nd hand car (citroen xantia) about 6 months ago. Got a puncture last night. Changing the wheel and one of the nuts is different (kinda circular) Couldnt get it off - rang the AA. They couldnt get it off. I need a "key" nut thingy to get it off which is apparently different for each car. Some kind of DUMB security measure to stop people stealing your wheels. (Seriously, who steals car wheels these days?)

The guy I bought the car off only had it for a while himself. Says he never changed a tire on it, but the "key" thing should be somewhere in the car. Its not.

I've rang citroen with the chassis number to order in a key for my car, and this could take a week. The car also has one of these nuts on another wheel (same shape) that I'll need to get off.

So - I'm without a car for a week unless I bring it to a garage that can somehow force the nut out (drilling and welding and megabucks and maybe shag me wheel up in the process)

So - does anyone know anywhere I can get this thing taken off without the key that wont cost me an arm and a leg or the price of a new wheel? Has this happened anyone before? How did you deal with it?

thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

It really depends where the lock nuts were bought....

If you don't have the key or the serial number for the key, then I'm afraid to say you're up the creek without a paddle and drilling it out is the only way.

These devices are effective but the owner needs to make sure he never loses the key.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    Hello

bought a 2nd hand car (citroen xantia) about 6 months ago. Got a puncture last night. Changing the wheel and one of the nuts is different (kinda circular) Couldnt get it off - rang the AA. They couldnt get it off. I need a "key" nut thingy to get it off which is apparently different for each car. Some kind of DUMB security measure to stop people stealing your wheels. (Seriously, who steals car wheels these days?)

The guy I bought the car off only had it for a while himself. Says he never changed a tire on it, but the "key" thing should be somewhere in the car. Its not.

I've rang citroen with the chassis number to order in a key for my car, and this could take a week. The car also has one of these nuts on another wheel (same shape) that I'll need to get off.

So - I'm without a car for a week unless I bring it to a garage that can somehow force the nut out (drilling and welding and megabucks and maybe shag me wheel up in the process)

So - does anyone know anywhere I can get this thing taken off without the key that wont cost me an arm and a leg or the price of a new wheel? Has this happened anyone before? How did you deal with it?

thanks guys.

Is the puncture in the tread pattern, as opposed to the sidewall? If so, you could just use a can of TyreWeld for now. This will at least get you driving again straight away.

Have you searched the entire car for the key? Look everywhere in the boot, especially in and around the spare wheel well. Try the glovebox too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How about that gator grip wrench that was all the rave on infomercials a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Be careful if you go with the drilling option. A friend had to get the garage he bought a second hand car from to drill his, same as you second hand car no key. The garage managed top get them off but destroyed the alloys in the process.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Provided there is sufficient space around the nut...Halfords sell a lockin wheel nut remover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

fletch wrote:
    Provided there is sufficient space around the nut...Halfords sell a lockin wheel nut remover
    So wheel nuts are useless then are they ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

So wheel nuts are useless then are they ;)
    Well you're gona make quite a bit of noise using this device

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it depends on the lock nuts, McGard ones are a nightmare to try and steal, where cheap ones can be removed by hammering on a tight socket and unscrewing

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

thanks guys - its an old-ass nut (not alloy wheels, just an over-securirty-concious driver). Puncture is in the tube, which has sunk back into the wheel, so cant get it pumped up.

I'll try halfords and a bit of DIY - I'll send off for the key too (all you need in the chasis no - should take a while though). All else fails I suppose I'll take it to the mechanic.

Advertisement